Schlage door knob removal

Old April 10th 09, 08:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Schlage door knob removal

A bedroom door in my house has a Schlage tubular/cylindrical type lock
for which we have no key, and I want to remove it. I'd guess that it is
younger than the house, which is 30 years old. I've found a few helpful
tips online, but none seems to apply to this lock. It is usually said
that there will be a hole or slot in the shaft on the inner side of the
door into which a screwdriver or other tool must be inserted to depress
a spring-loaded catch, enabling the inner knob to be pulled off. I
don't see any such hole or slot. There is a rosette, and a cylindrical
sleeve on the shaft, so that about 3 mm of the shaft can be seen between
the rosette and the sleeve. What can be seen of the shaft is
featureless. The only interesting feature otherwise is loop of steel
wire, looking rather like the end of a paper clip, parallel to the shaft
and extending about 4 mm beyond the rosette. This doesn't seem to move
in any direction. I've tried pushing and pulling it while pulling on
the knob - no luck.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions for getting the knob off (please
don't suggest a hacksaw - that's a last resort). Also I'd like to know
what the wire loop is for.
Old April 10th 09, 09:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

I'd be grateful for any suggestions for getting the knob off (please
don't suggest a hacksaw - that's a last resort).

OK then - angle grinder :-)

Any chance of a photo?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old April 10th 09, 11:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 6:43 pm, Gib Bogle wrote:
[...]

The wire loop when pushed toward the shaft allows the rosette to
unclip, although you can probably lever it off with a thin
screwdriver.
Under that are two screws that you can possibly undo without removing
the knob.
On the shaft near the inner knob there should be a small slot
containing a spring loaded pin, which when pushed allows the knob to
be turned (anticlockwise I think) for a fraction of a turn then pulled
straight off.
Except that when it's been damaged by burglars I can't get the knob
off, so I suppose it's out with a hacksaw.
Old April 10th 09, 12:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
[...]

The rosette only comes out a small distance before it's stopped by the
sleeve.

Under that are two screws that you can possibly undo without removing
the knob.
On the shaft near the inner knob there should be a small slot
containing a spring loaded pin, which when pushed allows the knob to
be turned (anticlockwise I think) for a fraction of a turn then pulled
straight off.

I guess you mean the slot is at the knob end. Nothing there that I can
see. Am I going blind?

Except that when it's been damaged by burglars I can't get the knob
off, so I suppose it's out with a hacksaw.

Or the angle grinder.
Old April 10th 09, 01:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 10:34 pm, Gib Bogle wrote:
Matty F wrote:

The wire loop when pushed toward the shaft allows the rosette to
unclip, although you can probably lever it off with a thin
screwdriver.

The rosette only comes out a small distance before it's stopped by the
sleeve.

Under that are two screws that you can possibly undo without removing
the knob.
On the shaft near the inner knob there should be a small slot
containing a spring loaded pin, which when pushed allows the knob to
be turned (anticlockwise I think) for a fraction of a turn then pulled
straight off.

I guess you mean the slot is at the knob end. Nothing there that I can
see. Am I going blind?

There must be a slot or a hole in the shaft between the knob and the
door. Maybe the rosette is covering it. You need to poke something in
that hole to allow the knob to turn on the shaft.
I don't have a similar lock in this house and I can't find any
pictures of it on the Net. The Schlage websites are completely
inadequate in describing this very common problem - how to remove the
damn knob.
Old April 11th 09, 12:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

[...]

I got it off, using a finely judged blend of BF and BI (no hacksaw or AG
required). I now see the little slotted catch that was previously
hidden under the sleeve, at the knob end. It seems that the sleeve
needed to pushed away from the knob to expose it, but, possibly because
of previous abuse of the rosette, the sleeve resisted such a displacement.

Problem with Schlage door lock Nosmo King Home Repair 23 June 15th 14 06:35 PM
Maytag dryer control knob removal BlackHawk96 Home Repair 4 June 3rd 07 05:13 AM
Door knob CJC UK diy 3 November 22nd 06 02:50 PM
Door knob -- can't replace! [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 6th 06 01:48 AM
Door knob set Lawrie UK diy 3 March 28th 06 02:20 AM