Posted to alt.home.repair
Nosmo King

Default Problem with Schlage door lock

Hi. I have recently developed a problem with a couple of Schlage locksets on
my external doors. The spring loaded latch will not automatically retract
when the door is being closed. I have taken it apart and do not see anything
obviously wrong.

My door is equipped with a separate double cylinder deadbolt and the
residential knob/lever set. The round keyed knob is on the outside, and the
lever handle is on the inside. The lever handle is not keyed, but has the
small piece you turn to lock/unlock the door.

When you try to close the door, the latch piece does not retract and the door
will not close. You have to turn the knob/lever to get the latch to retract,
in order to close the door.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting ?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Nosmo King" wrote in message
[...]

Same problem on more than one door, after they've both worked properly in
the past?

Posted to alt.home.repair
evodawg

Nosmo King wrote:

[...]

Not sure about that particular lockset but the spring that retracts the
latch maybe in the handle/lever part of the lockset.

You might do a google search for that lockset and or manufacture and see
what comes up.

RV
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found a door or 2 in my time where the striker plate (in the wall)
for some reason 'gripped' the spring loaded bolt, so instead of shoving
the bolt into the door, it just 'stuck'.

Drove me nuts because the bolt would push in easy by hand, but wouldn't
retract when the door was closed.

Make sure the striker plate has a gentle curve that will first touch
the bolt on the curved/sloped/slanted portion of the bolt.

That, and a little lube, set mine straight.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Nosmo King" wrote in message ...
Hi. I have recently developed a problem with a couple of Schlage locksets on
my external doors. The spring loaded latch will not automatically retract
when the door is being closed. I have taken it apart and do not see anything
obviously wrong.

My door is equipped with a separate double cylinder deadbolt and the
residential knob/lever set. The round keyed knob is on the outside, and the
lever handle is on the inside. The lever handle is not keyed, but has the
small piece you turn to lock/unlock the door.

When you try to close the door, the latch piece does not retract and the door
will not close. You have to turn the knob/lever to get the latch to retract,
in order to close the door.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting ?

Wax the bolt and striker plate where they touch in operation. Lubricate the lock internals.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nosmo King

In article , "Doug Kanter" wrote:

Same problem on more than one door, after they've both worked properly in
the past?

Yes. The first one started it about a year ago (locks are about 5 years old).
It was on a door in the garage that doesn't get used much, so I never did
anything about it. The second door just started acting this way this week.

The problem is definitely with the latch part, as you can not manually push it
in. I'll try dis-assembling the locks and see if the silicon spray helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

Nosmo King wrote:

In article , "Doug Kanter" wrote:

Same problem on more than one door, after they've both worked properly in
the past?

Yes. The first one started it about a year ago (locks are about 5 years old).
It was on a door in the garage that doesn't get used much, so I never did
anything about it. The second door just started acting this way this week.

The problem is definitely with the latch part, as you can not manually push it
in. I'll try dis-assembling the locks and see if the silicon spray helps.

If with the door open you can't push the latch in the problem is
probably the half round deadlocking pin on the back of the latch is not
comming fully out. If the deadlatch pin is far enough in the latch has
to be retracted with the knob - prevents case-knifing. If the deadlatch
pin is out and the latch can't be retracted the problem should be in the
latch - I would consider buying a new latch only - probably from a
locksmith.

bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

Just curious, but is this the commercial grade lockset which costs about
$200.00 which you need to buy from a locksmith or is this the consumer grade
lockset sold at home improvement stores?

FYI - I bought a Schlage commercial grade lockset about 6 years ago and have
not had any problems. I bought this because I have seen these on schools,
businesses, and government buildings and they seem to last forever. The
consumer locksets sold at hardware and home improvement stores have not
lasted very long before they have problems (in my experience).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nosmo King

In article , "Bill" wrote:
Just curious, but is this the commercial grade lockset which costs about
$200.00 which you need to buy from a locksmith or is this the consumer grade
lockset sold at home improvement stores?

It looks like the builder used the standard consumer grade sets. I went to HD
to buy a replacement latch, and they didn't carry them. The guy there said
the Schlage locksets have a lifetime warranty, and should be replaced at no
charge.

I looked on their web site, and it says the lifetime warranty is valid for
"the original user". As the second owner of a five year old house, I am
disappointed in this.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

"Nosmo King" wrote in message

It looks like the builder used the standard consumer grade sets....

Check out the commercial grade Schlage locksets at schools/businesses. These
are very well built and quite a difference.

I figure I'll spend $200 once and have it last rather than spending $40 or
whatever every 5 years, then needing to change keys, etc. Actually cheaper
in long run if you live there a long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

It looks like the builder used the standard consumer grade sets. I went to HD
to buy a replacement latch, and they didn't carry them. The guy there said
the Schlage locksets have a lifetime warranty, and should be replaced at no
charge.

I looked on their web site, and it says the lifetime warranty is valid for
"the original user". As the second owner of a five year old house, I am
disappointed in this.

Hell of a lifetime.

The cheapest fix may still be replacing the latch only. Locksmiths may
have them. Also possible that the latch from a higher grade Schlage
would work (and last longer).

Might be a good new question for alt.locksmith.

bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Bill wrote:
"Nosmo King" wrote in message

It looks like the builder used the standard consumer grade sets....

Check out the commercial grade Schlage locksets at schools/businesses. These
are very well built and quite a difference.

I figure I'll spend $200 once and have it last rather than spending $40 or
whatever every 5 years, then needing to change keys, etc. Actually cheaper
in long run if you live there a long time.

Good grief what do you do to wear out a lock in 5
years? Mine are not expensive and have lasted for
almost 30 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Put two drops of 10W30 motor oil on the latch where it enters the side of
the door.

If that doesn't work, replace the latch.

If that doesn't work, call your local locksmith.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Nosmo King" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Nosmo King" wrote in message
In article , "Bill"
wrote:
Just curious, but is this the commercial grade lockset which costs about
$200.00 which you need to buy from a locksmith or is this the consumer
grade
lockset sold at home improvement stores?

It looks like the builder used the standard consumer grade sets. I went
to HD
to buy a replacement latch, and they didn't carry them. The guy there
said
the Schlage locksets have a lifetime warranty, and should be replaced at
no
charge.

I looked on their web site, and it says the lifetime warranty is valid for
"the original user". As the second owner of a five year old house, I am
disappointed in this.

I know it may require a note from the Vatican and an act of congress, but
have you called the manufacturer about this? The "original owner" routine is
based on absolutely NO logic known to man. You should be able to get around
it if you act indignant on the phone. The phone is the thing you talk into.
You may have one at home, or in your office.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Nosmo King, Will wrote:
Nosmo_King58_ wrote:

[...]

I have a Schlage lockset which developed the same problem. Have to turn
the handle to get the latch to retract when I shut the door. Very
annoying. I have read all the replies here and it looks like the most
sensible thing for me to do is just replace the lockset. I have tried
taking it apart and see nothing wrong, spraying WD40 and a silicone lube
everywhere with no change,. It seems to me that the problem may lie in
the lock mechanism (the little "key" you turn to lock the door).

Anyway, guess I'll just replace it but it is nice to see I am not the only
one with the door problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

roups.com...
Nosmo_King58_ wrote:

[...]

Contact Schlage they will likly replace the entire lock assembly. The did
for us with the same problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to George E. Cawthon, Will wrote:
GeorgeC-Boise wrote:

Good grief what do you do to wear out a lock in 5
years? Mine are not expensive and have lasted for
almost 30 years.

The lock is not worn out, it is defective. I have one that is the same
way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nosmo_King58_ wrote:

[...]

I have earlier shared that I had the same problem with a Schlage lockset.
Today, I got the latch replacement itself at the Big Box Store that begins
with L (the Big Box store that begins with H did not have it) and have it
installed and it is working fine. It is the Schlage product and not some
knock-off brand. Cost was $10 and this means I did not have to have a new
key!!!

I know the orginal post was a almost 10 years ago, but I came to this site
recently so perhaps my post will save someone a lot of trouble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nosmo_King58_ wrote:

[...]

Had the same thing happen withthe Schlage on the side door about 6
months ago. As you nted HD didn't have the Latch assembly but the
local Ace Hardware did. It must be fairly common as they had at least
a half dozen on the display.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Nosmo King, John wrote:
The problem is with the "deadlatch" mechanism in the exterior door lockset,
which keeps someone from jimmying the lock open from the outside by pushing on
the latch which locks up the latch when the extra pin that slides along the
latch itself is depressed after the door closes and latches. The Schlage
locksets are known for this failure in their latch mechanism after about 5-10
years depending on frequency of that exterior door use, and your symptom is
the classic one of having to turn the knob slightly to get the latch to slide
on the striker plate and the door to close. Schlage has a lifetime warranty on
the part and will send you a replacement latch mechanism which is the part
with the latch that installs in the edge of the door. The knobs and tumbler
lockset that mount on each side of the door are reused, although they must be
removed before removing and installing the latch mechanism. I've got the same
problem with the back door on my house, and as much as I'd like to be able to
at least temporarily repair the latch mechanism while waiting on the free
replacement from Schlage, it's not feasible. It became very clear on examining
it that the mechanism was not designed to be disassembled without the risk of
damaging or destroying it. I could have gotten it apart. I've professionally
disassembled dozens of products to document how they were fabricated and
assembled in the manufacturing process. The issue in doing so was the risk of
not being able to reassemble it into at least a partially functioning latch.
The consequence would be inability to close and latch or lock an exterior door
on my house. Not an acceptable risk. Better to have a partially functioning
latch that effectively locks and none at all until the latch from Schlage
arrives.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ock-74975-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Will, martin spittler wrote:
Same problem. Mine is a Home Depot purchase. Schlage will send a new latch.
Looks to be well made but obviously defective. Schlage did not seem surprised
- must be cheaper to just send out free parts than engineer and manufacture
zero failure rate.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ock-74975-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Will, Gary Tarver wrote:
I also have a Schlage lockset with the exact problem that you are describing.
I have taken it off the door and WD40 sprayed all over. No change. It is
hitting something inside the latch mechanism. It has lasted 18 years so far,
bought from Home Depot, but I will need to get a new latch mechanism now.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ock-74975-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2018 1:44 PM, Gary Tarver wrote:
replying to Will, Gary Tarver wrote:
I also have a Schlage lockset with the exact problem that you are
describing. I have taken it off the door and WD40 sprayed all over.Â* No
change.Â* It is
hitting something inside the latch mechanism.Â* It has lasted 18 years so
far,
bought from Home Depot, but I will need to get a new latch mechanism now.

And if you call Schlage, they will sent you a new lock, although the new
one required modifying a hole in my case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary Tarver posted for all of us...

replying to Will, Gary Tarver wrote:
I also have a Schlage lockset with the exact problem that you are describing.
I have taken it off the door and WD40 sprayed all over. No change. It is
hitting something inside the latch mechanism. It has lasted 18 years so far,
bought from Home Depot, but I will need to get a new latch mechanism now.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ock-74975-.htm

It is hard to tell what you are seeking from this post. I suggest that you
get a real newsreader and find out what is being discussed and answered on
the newsgroup: alt.home.repair You may get better results.

--
Tekkie