Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gib Bogle Gib Bogle is offline

Default Schlage door knob removal

A bedroom door in my house has a Schlage tubular/cylindrical type lock
for which we have no key, and I want to remove it. I'd guess that it is
younger than the house, which is 30 years old. I've found a few helpful
tips online, but none seems to apply to this lock. It is usually said
that there will be a hole or slot in the shaft on the inner side of the
door into which a screwdriver or other tool must be inserted to depress
a spring-loaded catch, enabling the inner knob to be pulled off. I
don't see any such hole or slot. There is a rosette, and a cylindrical
sleeve on the shaft, so that about 3 mm of the shaft can be seen between
the rosette and the sleeve. What can be seen of the shaft is
featureless. The only interesting feature otherwise is loop of steel
wire, looking rather like the end of a paper clip, parallel to the shaft
and extending about 4 mm beyond the rosette. This doesn't seem to move
in any direction. I've tried pushing and pulling it while pulling on
the knob - no luck.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions for getting the knob off (please
don't suggest a hacksaw - that's a last resort). Also I'd like to know
what the wire loop is for.