Senior Member

Default Desoldering a copper pipe tee

I need to attach a 35 mm to 22 mm endfeed reducer to a 35mm end of a 35mm x35mm x22 tee.

The problem is that the tee is already fully soldered and installed.

The end that I need to remove has a 35mm to 15mm reducer. I need to remove this reducer and solder the 35 to 22 reducer.

By applying heat and using pliers I can remove the existing reducer.

Three questions:

1. Will it be ok to clean the inside of the tee with sand paper to prepare it for soldering or will it be very difficult to get it good and clean so that I can insert and solder well the new fitting?

2. I know that I risk damaging the other joints in the tee. What can I do to avoid it?

3. What is the best way to tackle this job?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:16:08 +0100, asalcedo
wrote:

I need to attach a 35 mm to 22 mm endfeed reducer to a 35mm end of a
35mm x35mm x22 tee.

The problem is that the tee is already fully soldered and installed.

The end that I need to remove has a 35mm to 15mm reducer. I need to
remove this reducer and solder the 35 to 22 reducer.

By applying heat and using pliers I can remove the existing reducer.

Three questions:

1. Will it be ok to clean the inside of the tee with sand paper to
prepare it for soldering or will it be very difficult to get it good
and clean so that I can insert and solder well the new fitting?

2. I know that I risk damaging the other joints in the tee. What can I
do to avoid it?

3. What is the best way to tackle this job?

Thanks,

Antonio

Probably remove the existing T and replace it along with the new
reducer and solder the whole thing all at the one time .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:
I need to attach a 35 mm to 22 mm endfeed reducer to a 35mm end of a
35mm x35mm x22 tee.
The problem is that the tee is already fully soldered and installed.
The end that I need to remove has a 35mm to 15mm reducer. I need to
remove this reducer and solder the 35 to 22 reducer.
By applying heat and using pliers I can remove the existing reducer.

Three questions:

1. Will it be ok to clean the inside of the tee with sand paper to
prepare it for soldering or will it be very difficult to get it good
and clean so that I can insert and solder well the new fitting?

If it were me, have your new reducer cleaned, fluxed and ready to go,
you _may_ get away with being able to whip it in while the heat is still
being applied to the joint so the old solder never cools.

If the joint remains in situ I don't think you stand much chance of
cleaning it out once the solder goes hard again.

2. I know that I risk damaging the other joints in the tee. What can I
do to avoid it?

Luck.
:¬)
You won't be able to apply enough heat to the joint to just melt the bit
you want. All other joints will go lose too so if you manage to get the
old one out and the new one in then make sure you re feed all the other
ends with new solder.

3. What is the best way to tackle this job?

Try it and be prepared to remake the whole joint with all new bits from
scratch. Far better to do it right once than spend a day attempting to
re-make the old joint.

You'll also need a good heat source to keep the heat local.

IMVHO
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
asalcedo

Speed is the best way to go about this job.

Have the new reducer cleaned up, fluxed and ready to insert.
Heat up the old joint and melt the solder.
Withdraw the old reducer and offer up the new one before the joint cools too
much.
Heat the new fitting and the existing fitting together until they are
inserted, now brush on some extra flux around the completed joint and solder
up in the usual way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:16:08 +0100 someone who may be asalcedo
wrote this:-

I need to attach a 35 mm to 22 mm endfeed reducer to a 35mm end of a
35mm x35mm x22 tee.

The problem is that the tee is already fully soldered and installed.

The end that I need to remove has a 35mm to 15mm reducer. I need to
remove this reducer and solder the 35 to 22 reducer.

By applying heat and using pliers I can remove the existing reducer.

Three questions:

1. Will it be ok to clean the inside of the tee with sand paper to
prepare it for soldering or will it be very difficult to get it good
and clean so that I can insert and solder well the new fitting?

Don't do that. If the tee was made properly then it was cleaned at
the time and there is now a layer of solder over the copper.

Clean and flux the reducer and have it to hand, with the 22mm pipe
inserted into it. Heat up the tee and remove the existing reducer,
then insert the new reducer (you will probably need to tap it in
gently with something) fully. Solder that and then the 22mm pipe and
then check that all arms of the tee are still properly soldered and
none have gone dry.

Tapping a fitting on usually works with one fitting. It becomes more
problematic with more than one fitting, especially if access is
limited. For example in this situation it may only be possible to
solder a fairly short length of 22mm pipe on and you will need
another fitting close by. Your chances of success may only be 50/50,
so prepare for having to do the whole thing again.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 28, 7:16*pm, asalcedo wrote:
I need to attach a 35 mm to 22 mm endfeed reducer to a 35mm end of a
35mm x35mm x22 *tee.

The problem is that the tee is already fully soldered and installed.

The end that I need to remove has a 35mm to 15mm reducer. I need to
remove this reducer and solder the 35 to 22 reducer.

By applying heat and using pliers I can remove the existing reducer.

Three questions:

1. Will it be ok to clean the inside of the tee with sand paper to
prepare it for soldering or will it be very difficult to get it good
and clean so that I can insert and solder well the new fitting?

I'd wipe around the inside with a cotton rag before the solder resets.

2. I know that I risk damaging the other joints in the tee. What can I
do to avoid it?

I'd try wrapping a damp/wet cotton rag around the pipes adjacent to
them to sink the heat away.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:
I need to attach a 35 mm to 22 mm endfeed reducer to a 35mm end of a
35mm x35mm x22 tee.

The problem is that the tee is already fully soldered and installed.

The end that I need to remove has a 35mm to 15mm reducer. I need to
remove this reducer and solder the 35 to 22 reducer.

By applying heat and using pliers I can remove the existing reducer.

Three questions:

1. Will it be ok to clean the inside of the tee with sand paper to
prepare it for soldering or will it be very difficult to get it good
and clean so that I can insert and solder well the new fitting?

2. I know that I risk damaging the other joints in the tee. What can I
do to avoid it?

3. What is the best way to tackle this job?

Cut back the pipe & start again. Make up the assembly you need & join it
back in using a straight coupling.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
asalcedo wrote:

I need to attach a 35 mm to 22 mm endfeed reducer to a 35mm end of a
35mm x35mm x22 tee.

The problem is that the tee is already fully soldered and installed.

The end that I need to remove has a 35mm to 15mm reducer. I need to
remove this reducer and solder the 35 to 22 reducer.

By applying heat and using pliers I can remove the existing reducer.

Three questions:

1. Will it be ok to clean the inside of the tee with sand paper to
prepare it for soldering or will it be very difficult to get it good
and clean so that I can insert and solder well the new fitting?

2. I know that I risk damaging the other joints in the tee. What can I
do to avoid it?

3. What is the best way to tackle this job?

Clean the area of the joints as best you can.

If there is any way of immobilising the parts which don't need to come
apart then do so - perhaps by binding with a clean wire coat hanger etc.

Then keep the heat localised to remove the old reducer. Flux the new,
heat, and tap into place. Add solder as normal.

Thanks,

Antonio

--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

flexible copper pipe "plumb sticks" or pipe bending Fred UK diy 24 June 16th 17 10:17 PM
How to Join Galvinized Pipe to Copper Pipe? Tom[_18_] Home Repair 16 August 3rd 08 01:13 PM
copper pipe JP Home Repair 1 October 24th 07 04:13 PM
Welded copper pipe from too much heat when desoldering? DB Home Repair 14 March 28th 07 03:03 AM
gas hob to copper pipe R P McMurphey UK diy 17 February 8th 04 03:30 PM