A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » UK diy
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 8th 08, 10:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?
Ads
  #2  
Old September 8th 08, 10:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,056
Default Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

Adam Funk wrote:
I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.


Thats Ikea for you..

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?


Not that wont suffer the same fate.

Replace with something that is fit for purpose.
  #3  
Old September 8th 08, 08:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

On 2008-09-08, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:
I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.


Thats Ikea for you..

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?


Not that wont suffer the same fate.

Replace with something that is fit for purpose.


That's what I'm interested in doing --- replacing the deteriorated
plastic. The lights are otherwise in very good condition.
  #4  
Old September 8th 08, 10:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,301
Default Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:19:33 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?


See if you have a proper film crew in the area and ask nicely of the
sparks if you can have a bit 216 white diffusion (Lee Lighting filter
number).

Or after a quick google:

http://proaudiostash.co.uk/lighting/...item_1211.html
5.55 for 122cm x 53cm + P&P total 13.50.

Or see if there is a dealer with better prices from
http://www.leefilters.com. Filters come in rolls 7.62m x 1.52m or 7.62 x
1.22m, full sheet 53cm x 1.22m and half sheet 53cm x 61cm.

I'm not going to say this won't suffer the same fate as the ikea stuff but
it is proper film lighting diffusion so can take the heat etc. I've had
some bits kicking about here for a year or three and they show no signs of
ageing but they have only been in a room not close to a light heat source.

--
Cheers
Dave.



  #5  
Old September 8th 08, 11:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 36
Default Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:26:17 +0100, Adam Funk
wrote:

On 2008-09-08, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:
I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.


Thats Ikea for you..

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?


Not that wont suffer the same fate.

Replace with something that is fit for purpose.


That's what I'm interested in doing --- replacing the deteriorated
plastic. The lights are otherwise in very good condition.


We've had some of those lights "Strimma" by any chance?

Could you glue white fabric on the inside of the shade? you might even
be able to get fabric intended for lampshades from a craft shop.

Google for _craft lampshade fabric_

Derek

  #6  
Old September 16th 08, 01:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

On 2008-09-08, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:19:33 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?


See if you have a proper film crew in the area and ask nicely of the
sparks if you can have a bit 216 white diffusion (Lee Lighting filter
number).

Or after a quick google:

http://proaudiostash.co.uk/lighting/...item_1211.html
£5.55 for 122cm x 53cm + P&P total £13.50.

Or see if there is a dealer with better prices from
http://www.leefilters.com. Filters come in rolls 7.62m x 1.52m or 7.62 x
1.22m, full sheet 53cm x 1.22m and half sheet 53cm x 61cm.

I'm not going to say this won't suffer the same fate as the ikea stuff but
it is proper film lighting diffusion so can take the heat etc. I've had
some bits kicking about here for a year or three and they show no signs of
ageing but they have only been in a room not close to a light heat source.


Interesting: thanks for the tip.
  #7  
Old September 16th 08, 01:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

On 2008-09-08, Derek wrote:

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:26:17 +0100, Adam Funk
wrote:

On 2008-09-08, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:
I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.

Thats Ikea for you..

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?

Not that wont suffer the same fate.

Replace with something that is fit for purpose.


That's what I'm interested in doing --- replacing the deteriorated
plastic. The lights are otherwise in very good condition.


We've had some of those lights "Strimma" by any chance?


I can't remember the name or find them on the Ikea website now.

Could you glue white fabric on the inside of the shade? you might even
be able to get fabric intended for lampshades from a craft shop.

Google for _craft lampshade fabric_


Good idea, thanks.
  #8  
Old September 16th 08, 01:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

On 2008-09-08, wrote:

On 8 Sep,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

I'm not going to say this won't suffer the same fate as the ikea stuff but
it is proper film lighting diffusion so can take the heat etc. I've had
some bits kicking about here for a year or three and they show no signs of
ageing but they have only been in a room not close to a light heat source.

I've had several light fittings (2D) and lampshades go brown and/or opaque
recently. All were plastic. One noticebly was still as good as new. It was
made from etched (or ground) glass. I've now replaced all fittings/shades
with glass ones. UV light (from CFL/fluorescents) degrades plastic and
anything coloured badly.


I think I forgot to mention that the plywood panels are curved, so I
need flexible "linings"; I'd be very surprised to come across a piece
of glass that happened to have the right size and curvature.
  #9  
Old September 16th 08, 02:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,312
Default Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

On Sep 8, 10:19*am, Adam Funk wrote:
I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. *The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?


If you cant or dont want to get the gels Dave suggested, fair standins
are nylon tape and the very thin nylon lining used in ultracheap
dresses.

I presume a new fitting would be cheaper than curved acid etched
glass.


NT
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
converting kitchen fluorescent light to recessed light pkmicro[_2_] Home Repair 8 July 23rd 08 01:42 AM
Ground Wire in plastic box with plastic light fixture david Home Repair 3 September 8th 06 10:32 PM
Ground Wire in plastic box with plastic light fixture david Home Repair 0 September 6th 06 08:23 PM
Light table - suitable lights for Frank Stacey UK diy 11 January 18th 06 12:28 PM
Printing on flexible plastic. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 32 August 23rd 05 01:46 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.