DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/259708-flexible-plastic-suitable-fluorescent-light-diffuser.html)

Adam Funk September 8th 08 10:19 AM

Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?

The Natural Philosopher September 8th 08 10:44 AM

Adam Funk wrote:
I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.

Thats Ikea for you..

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?

Not that wont suffer the same fate.

Replace with something that is fit for purpose.

Adam Funk September 8th 08 08:26 PM

On 2008-09-08, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:
I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.

Thats Ikea for you..

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?

Not that wont suffer the same fate.

Replace with something that is fit for purpose.

That's what I'm interested in doing --- replacing the deteriorated
plastic. The lights are otherwise in very good condition.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] September 8th 08 10:26 PM

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:19:33 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?

See if you have a proper film crew in the area and ask nicely of the
sparks if you can have a bit 216 white diffusion (Lee Lighting filter
number).

Or after a quick google:

http://proaudiostash.co.uk/lighting/...item_1211.html
£5.55 for 122cm x 53cm + P&P total £13.50.

Or see if there is a dealer with better prices from
http://www.leefilters.com. Filters come in rolls 7.62m x 1.52m or 7.62 x
1.22m, full sheet 53cm x 1.22m and half sheet 53cm x 61cm.

I'm not going to say this won't suffer the same fate as the ikea stuff but
it is proper film lighting diffusion so can take the heat etc. I've had
some bits kicking about here for a year or three and they show no signs of
ageing but they have only been in a room not close to a light heat source.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Derek September 8th 08 11:21 PM

Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:26:17 +0100, Adam Funk

On 2008-09-08, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:
I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.

Thats Ikea for you..

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?

Not that wont suffer the same fate.

Replace with something that is fit for purpose.

That's what I'm interested in doing --- replacing the deteriorated
plastic. The lights are otherwise in very good condition.

We've had some of those lights "Strimma" by any chance?

Could you glue white fabric on the inside of the shade? you might even
be able to get fabric intended for lampshades from a craft shop.

Google for _craft lampshade fabric_

Derek

Adam Funk September 16th 08 01:14 PM

On 2008-09-08, Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Interesting: thanks for the tip.

Adam Funk September 16th 08 01:15 PM

On 2008-09-08, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:
I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.

Thats Ikea for you..

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?

Not that wont suffer the same fate.

Replace with something that is fit for purpose.

That's what I'm interested in doing --- replacing the deteriorated
plastic. The lights are otherwise in very good condition.

We've had some of those lights "Strimma" by any chance?

I can't remember the name or find them on the Ikea website now.

Could you glue white fabric on the inside of the shade? you might even
be able to get fabric intended for lampshades from a craft shop.

Google for _craft lampshade fabric_

Good idea, thanks.

Adam Funk September 16th 08 01:16 PM

On 2008-09-08, wrote:

On 8 Sep,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

I'm not going to say this won't suffer the same fate as the ikea stuff but
it is proper film lighting diffusion so can take the heat etc. I've had
some bits kicking about here for a year or three and they show no signs of
ageing but they have only been in a room not close to a light heat source.

I've had several light fittings (2D) and lampshades go brown and/or opaque
recently. All were plastic. One noticebly was still as good as new. It was
made from etched (or ground) glass. I've now replaced all fittings/shades
with glass ones. UV light (from CFL/fluorescents) degrades plastic and
anything coloured badly.

I think I forgot to mention that the plywood panels are curved, so I
need flexible "linings"; I'd be very surprised to come across a piece
of glass that happened to have the right size and curvature.

[email protected] September 16th 08 02:02 PM

On Sep 8, 10:19*am, Adam Funk wrote:
I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. *The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?

If you cant or dont want to get the gels Dave suggested, fair standins
are nylon tape and the very thin nylon lining used in ultracheap
dresses.

I presume a new fitting would be cheaper than curved acid etched
glass.

NT

Adam Funk September 17th 08 10:39 PM

On 2008-09-16, wrote:

On Sep 8, 10:19Â*am, Adam Funk wrote:
I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent
lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of
slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. Â*The lights
are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are
deteriorating and falling apart.

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for
replacing them?

If you cant or dont want to get the gels Dave suggested, fair standins
are nylon tape and the very thin nylon lining used in ultracheap
dresses.

I'll look into that too; thanks.

I presume a new fitting would be cheaper than curved acid etched
glass.

Yes, I think it would!