Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Selectring central heating pipe

Hi

I'm going to be using quite a bit of (22mm and 15mm) plastic barrier pipe
for central heating and wondered if anyone can advise on the following.

Q1. I used a coil of Speedfit a few years ago and it was a bu**er to work
with because it was so springy and wanted to return to its coiled shape.
Are coils of other makes any better in this respect (I have Hep2O and
Equator in mind)?

Q2. Presumably the different makes have slightly different internal
diameters. I calculate that if an internal diameter increases, for example,
from 11mm to 13mm then the internal cross-sectional area increases nearly
40% (area being proportional to diameter squared). This would give a
significant reduction in resistance. Are any of the available barrier pipes
of significantly greater internal diameters than their competitors?

Cheers

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 13:13:51 +0100, "Steve" said:

Hi

I'm going to be using quite a bit of (22mm and 15mm) plastic barrier pipe
for central heating and wondered if anyone can advise on the following.

Q1. I used a coil of Speedfit a few years ago and it was a bu**er to work
with because it was so springy and wanted to return to its coiled shape.
Are coils of other makes any better in this respect (I have Hep2O and
Equator in mind)?

Not really. Warming it can help a little but a better solution is
just to buy straight 3 or 6m lengths.

Q2. Presumably the different makes have slightly different internal
diameters. I calculate that if an internal diameter increases, for example,
from 11mm to 13mm then the internal cross-sectional area increases nearly
40% (area being proportional to diameter squared). This would give a
significant reduction in resistance. Are any of the available barrier pipes
of significantly greater internal diameters than their competitors?

They are supposed to be standard according to the BS specs. The
critical thing is to use the inserts that relate to the fittings as
these are not interchangeble between brands

Finally, it is advised to use a proper tube cutter and not a hacksaw
for cutting the tube in order to retain system continence and your
reputation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Finally, it is advised to use a proper tube cutter and not a hacksaw
for cutting the tube in order to retain system continence and your
reputation.

Ecxept that one gentleman(?) whom we haven't seen much recently maintains
*his* reputation *by* using a hacksaw! g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 13:13:51 +0100, "Steve" said:

Hi

I'm going to be using quite a bit of (22mm and 15mm) plastic barrier pipe
for central heating and wondered if anyone can advise on the following.

Q1. I used a coil of Speedfit a few years ago and it was a bu**er to work
with because it was so springy and wanted to return to its coiled shape.
Are coils of other makes any better in this respect (I have Hep2O and
Equator in mind)?

Not really. Warming it can help a little but a better solution is just
to buy straight 3 or 6m lengths.

The JG speedfit is in my experence the most springy. I have never used
Equador. I have used Hep 2O and PolyPlumb. They both seem easier to use than
JG. I have no preference over either of these, but as the same person
designed both Hep and Poly they are probably the same thing in all but name
and patent numbers.

Finally, it is advised to use a proper tube cutter and not a hacksaw for
cutting the tube in order to retain system continence and your reputation.

The JG Speedfit pipe cutter is the best I have used on any plastic pipe.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:13:51 +0100, Steve wrote:

Hi

I'm going to be using quite a bit of (22mm and 15mm) plastic barrier
pipe for central heating and wondered if anyone can advise on the
following.

Q1. I used a coil of Speedfit a few years ago and it was a bu**er to
work with because it was so springy and wanted to return to its coiled
shape. Are coils of other makes any better in this respect (I have
Hep2O and Equator in mind)?

The JG Speedfit pipe is made using PEX which is a lot less flexible than
Hep2O whcih is made using PB there is at least one other manufacturer that
uses PB (PolyPlumb IIRC?).

The difference is very marked. The 15mm PB stuff will nicely follow a
300mm radius without too much work.

Q2. Presumably the different makes have slightly different internal
diameters. I calculate that if an internal diameter increases, for
example, from 11mm to 13mm then the internal cross-sectional area
increases nearly 40% (area being proportional to diameter squared).
This would give a significant reduction in resistance. Are any of the
available barrier pipes of significantly greater internal diameters than
their competitors?

You must use the same manufacturer for the end supports as for the pipe.
IME the PB pipes use stainless steel supports which offer less resistance
than the plastic ones from JG (and others).

I've not had an issue with the flow resistance of plastic pipe relative to
Cu.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi

I'm going to be using quite a bit of (22mm and 15mm) plastic barrier pipe

..
..
..

Thanks all. Very helpful. I'll be opting for the Hep2O.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks all. Very helpful. I'll be using Hep2O.

Steve