Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freeview problems, reception or connections?

I have Freeview using a cheapo Wharfedale tuner + hard disk recorder.

The tuner says that the signal strength is 100% (drops to 80% occasionally).

On most of the channels I watch (BBC1 ... Channel Five, BBC4, UKTV
History/Dave) performance is perfect. One small thing though --- some
faint video background appears on Channel Five --- perhaps visible on C5
because I was watching cricket with its ample plain background; but no
breakup on C5.

However, specifically on Channel 4 + 1 and More 4, I get breakup; while
that is happening, the signal strength indication remains good (I say
that because there is a tree between my aerial and the transmitter and
there has been a lot or rain recently.

I have RF entering the Freeview tuner/recorder and then off to the VHS
recorder. Otherwise SCART connections --- assorted breeds acquired randomly.

Any suggestions as to the cause?

TIA,

Jon C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
I have Freeview using a cheapo Wharfedale tuner + hard disk recorder.

[...]
I have RF entering the Freeview tuner/recorder and then off to the VHS
recorder. Otherwise SCART connections --- assorted breeds acquired
randomly.

Any suggestions as to the cause?

Connection.

In recorder/tuner socket. I think not the SCART lead as I swapped for
another.

Current fix is to rest the SCART plug (it's the bottom one) on a book so
that the weight of the machine (not much) slightly bends the plug and
socket. I regret to admit that this is as much DIY as I'm going to perform.

Doesn't tally with my model of the type of signal carried by SCART; I
reckoned the fault had to be frequency dependent.

Best regards,

Jon C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jonathan Campbell
writes
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
I have Freeview using a cheapo Wharfedale tuner + hard disk recorder.

[...]
I have RF entering the Freeview tuner/recorder and then off to the VHS
recorder. Otherwise SCART connections --- assorted breeds acquired
randomly.

Any suggestions as to the cause?

Connection.

In recorder/tuner socket. I think not the SCART lead as I swapped for
another.

Current fix is to rest the SCART plug (it's the bottom one) on a book so
that the weight of the machine (not much) slightly bends the plug and
socket. I regret to admit that this is as much DIY as I'm going to perform.

Doesn't tally with my model of the type of signal carried by SCART; I
reckoned the fault had to be frequency dependent.

Best regards,

Jon C.

I must admit that I have had similar problems with SCART plugs - they do
not seem to be the most robust of connections - one of the TV's inputs
only works intermittently and you have to waggle the cable/prop it up
(similar to yours) - the other works fine!

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I must admit that I have had similar problems with SCART plugs - they do
not seem to be the most robust of connections -

I guess they're designed that way so that they fall out if anything gets
moved. The alternative would be worse
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I must admit that I have had similar problems with SCART plugs - they do
not seem to be the most robust of connections - one of the TV's inputs
only works intermittently and you have to waggle the cable/prop it up
(similar to yours) - the other works fine!

That's why they're called SCART. Stands for 'Some Connectors Are Really
Tinny'.

Peter Scott

Signal Reception Problems AJ UK diy 5 October 5th 07 09:37 PM
TV reception problems Chris123 Electronics Repair 3 May 14th 07 04:26 AM
Freeview connections to VCR etc. [email protected] UK diy 2 September 25th 05 05:11 PM
Freeview connections to VCR etc. [email protected] UK diy 6 August 9th 05 02:06 PM
FM Antenna and Reception Problems butlercellars Home Ownership 5 June 17th 05 06:23 PM