Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Black Mould

Hi,

I have a lot of black mould on the silicone sealant around the top of
my bath. The sealant was done right and it is all pitted and so there
are a lot of black mould patches. Does anyone know how to clean this
up? I've tried bleach and scrubbing too hard just damages the sealant
more.

Hope someone can help.

Craig
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Coope wrote:
Hi,

I have a lot of black mould on the silicone sealant around the top of
my bath. The sealant was done right and it is all pitted and so there
are a lot of black mould patches. Does anyone know how to clean this
up? I've tried bleach and scrubbing too hard just damages the sealant
more.

Hope someone can help.

The product formerly known as Dettox now called Dettol Mildew Remover Spray.

You need to increase the ventilation in your bathroom, or it will simply
come back.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Coope wrote:
Hi,

I have a lot of black mould on the silicone sealant around the top of
my bath. The sealant was done right and it is all pitted and so there
are a lot of black mould patches. Does anyone know how to clean this
up? I've tried bleach and scrubbing too hard just damages the sealant
more.

Hope someone can help.

The product formerly known as Dettox now called Dettol Mildew Remover
Spray.

You need to increase the ventilation in your bathroom, or it will simply
come back.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

As above use the 'Dettol Mildew Remover Spray'.......wouldn't be without out
it
Gets rid of that black stuff from Bath mats/shower curtains/window sills/
ect
Any tesco style store stocks it where the kitchen cleaners are

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Coope wrote:
[...]

Agree about Dettol spray. I am in a hard water area and had a really
serious problem with black mould. I solved it with the Dettol and a good
strength scale remover spray. To start with I did it with the two on
alternate days. Now that the sealant and grouting is clean and white I
do each alternate weeks. I leave both on much longer than it says on the
bottles. I go away and forget about it then realise I need to spray it
when I go near and notice the smell. If you get mould on the shower
curtain as well, soaking in fairly strong bleach for a few hours
followed by washing machine wash cleans them up.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:
.. If you get
mould on the shower curtain as well, soaking in fairly strong bleach
for a few hours followed by washing machine wash cleans them up.

SWMBO has a different tack on that. She buys el cheapo shower cutains for
about £1.50 each & simply chucks them away.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Coope wrote:
Hi,

I have a lot of black mould on the silicone sealant around the top of
my bath. The sealant was done right and it is all pitted and so there
are a lot of black mould patches. Does anyone know how to clean this
up? I've tried bleach and scrubbing too hard just damages the sealant
more.

Hope someone can help.

Craig

Soak some tissue paper in bleach and pack the mulch into the mouldy
area. Then, cover with cling film and leave for several hours.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 10:42 pm, Peter Scott wrote:
billybob wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
o.uk...
Coopewrote:
[...]

First thnks to all your replies...

I did go out and buy this dettox but I just assumed it would get rid
of it straight away but it really didn't work at all so I have left
it...I guess I should keep applying it each day and see what
happens...

Thanks again....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Coopewrote:

[...]

It depends upon exactly how deeply stained the sealant has
become. Dettox is very good, but if the sealant has deep black
marking, it is probably beyond recovery.

As others have said, the important steps a

Wipe up any standing water on tiles and sealant, whenever the
bath has been used.
Ventilate sufficiently to allow all surfaces to dry.
Use Dettox regularly

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

It depends upon exactly how deeply stained the sealant has
become. Dettox is very good, but if the sealant has deep black
marking, it is probably beyond recovery.

As others have said, the important steps a

Wipe up any standing water on tiles and sealant, whenever the
bath has been used.
Ventilate sufficiently to allow all surfaces to dry.
Use Dettox regularly

Chris

Yeah well I have been using it and leaving it on for hours over the
last few days and it is almost all gone!...so I'm happy...thanks to
everyone!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
SWMBO has a different tack on that. She buys el cheapo shower cutains
for about £1.50 each & simply chucks them away.

Will that save the planet?

No but if Superman uses them for capes he will!!

John