Replacing Sangamo 410 programmer / timer

Old September 23rd 03, 12:21 AM
L Reid

Default Replacing Sangamo 410 programmer / timer

Hi guys,

Now moved in to new property and am looking forward to lots more d-i-y. Been
in 2 weeks now and done the livingroom (sanded floors / decorated etc.) just
in time for the heavy rain last night which highlighted a leaking roof
(above livingroom - typical). Anyway, I digress.

One of the jobs I have now added to the list as the current CH timer /
programmer (Sangamo 410) appears to be keeping time at the rate of 2 hours
passing = 1 day. I'd like to replace this if it's just a matter of getting a
suitable replacement unit and connecting the wires up, however would be
inclined to get someone in if it's a complicated procedure. Can anyone
advise how tricky this is (don't have the original instructions for
boiler/programmer), and is it something I should be attempting myself? If
so, can anyone suggest a suitable replacement?

Thanks,

Leigh

Old September 23rd 03, 04:12 AM
BigWallop

"L Reid" wrote in message
[...]

If it's been off for a long time, it may only need the backup battery
replaced.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Old September 23rd 03, 09:42 PM
geoff

In message , BigWallop
writes

One of the jobs I have now added to the list as the current CH timer /
programmer (Sangamo 410) appears to be keeping time at the rate of 2 hours
passing = 1 day. I'd like to replace this if it's just a matter of getting

If it's been off for a long time, it may only need the backup battery
replaced.

Sangamo 410 ? - batteries weren't invented when they were around
--
geoff
Old September 23rd 03, 11:31 PM
L Reid

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , BigWallop
writes

One of the jobs I have now added to the list as the current CH timer /
programmer (Sangamo 410) appears to be keeping time at the rate of 2

hours
passing = 1 day. I'd like to replace this if it's just a matter of

getting

If it's been off for a long time, it may only need the backup battery
replaced.

Sangamo 410 ? - batteries weren't invented when they were around
--
geoff

Batteries? I'm beginning to suspect that the gremlin that lives inside it
has died as it's not turning at-all now. Plus point is that central heating
is on predictably now, however not so good as my wife keeps turning it down
at night before coming to bed so she's not too warm. Unfortunately I'm first
up in the morning and have to turn it up again.

I'd take a picture though I don't know which box the camera's in, and sods
law dictates that the cable to connect same to PC is in a box at the other
end of the house. I did find this however, which sort of indicates that
replacement could be a 'doddle'.

http://www.sunvic.co.uk/Select%20Pro...s/207ins_w.pdf

Am I correct that replacing this control unit would fall outside the
requirements to be done by a CORGI registered individual? Also, if anyone
could suggest an alternative unit (pref available in the UK via post...?).

Cheers!

Leigh

Old September 24th 03, 12:01 AM
geoff

In message , L Reid
writes

I'd take a picture though I don't know which box the camera's in, and sods
law dictates that the cable to connect same to PC is in a box at the other
end of the house. I did find this however, which sort of indicates that
replacement could be a 'doddle'.

http://www.sunvic.co.uk/Select%20Pro...s/207ins_w.pdf

Am I correct that replacing this control unit would fall outside the
requirements to be done by a CORGI registered individual? Also, if anyone
could suggest an alternative unit (pref available in the UK via post...?).

Forget CORGI - it's not relevant to you

I might be able to repair it, no promises, but look at www.cetltd.com

I don't think it's directly compatible (backplane wise) with current
programmers)
--
geoff
Old September 24th 03, 08:16 PM
ARWadsworth

[...]

It is a doddle. Most programmers now use the backplate shown on the link,
and all you have to do is wire the new one as given in the wiring diagram.
This is nothing to do with CORGI.
Adam

Old September 24th 03, 10:05 PM
PoP

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:01:21 +0100, geoff wrote:

Am I correct that replacing this control unit would fall outside the
requirements to be done by a CORGI registered individual? Also, if anyone
could suggest an alternative unit (pref available in the UK via post...?).

Forget CORGI - it's not relevant to you

True, but on April 1st 2004 new electrical regulations come into play
which may require that the circuit be certified after it is modified.
This new arrangement is going to make corgi look like a walk in the
park due to its stupidity.

PoP

Old September 25th 03, 12:35 AM
L Reid

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , L Reid
writes

I might be able to repair it, no promises, but look at www.cetltd.com

I don't think it's directly compatible (backplane wise) with current
programmers)
--
geoff

Thanks for the offer geoff. Think I recall hearing you recommended in here a
few times before!

Ideally I'd like to zap the old one in to touch, and replace with one which
will allow for 5 + 2 (week and w/e settings) and different times to allow
hot water to be on 24 hours a day but central heating on at certain times
(gravity fed system). I also suspect the thermostat's gone the same way as
the timer, as it (thermostat) seems to click on at 20 deg no matter how hot
or cold it feels.

Another possible replacement(?) found he

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...nn/Sangamo.htm

Fixing back-plate shouldn't be a problem, it was wiring that was worrying
me. Regarding 2004 regs, does that apply only to works done after that date,
or does it also include works done prior to that date?

Cheers!

Leigh

Old September 25th 03, 12:48 AM
geoff

In message , L Reid
writes
"geoff" wrote in message
!

Ideally I'd like to zap the old one in to touch, and replace with one which
will allow for 5 + 2 (week and w/e settings) and different times to allow
hot water to be on 24 hours a day but central heating on at certain times
(gravity fed system). I also suspect the thermostat's gone the same way as
the timer, as it (thermostat) seems to click on at 20 deg no matter how hot
or cold it feels.

Another possible replacement(?) found he

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...nn/Sangamo.htm

Fixing back-plate shouldn't be a problem, it was wiring that was worrying
me.

I think that rewiring should be fairly trivial for you, as long as you
have sufficient length. IIRC that Sangamo has the connectors stacked
vertically whereas most programmers now have them going across

--
geoff
Old September 25th 03, 07:58 PM
L Reid

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , L Reid
writes
"geoff" wrote in message
!

[...]

Ah. Could that be a problem then if the boiler is above the timer unit (as
in my case)? Did the connectors come into the bottom of the unit or the top?
If the top, I may have a problem.

replacing a banister? Harris UK diy 3 August 22nd 03 08:46 AM
Glow-worm programmer and boiler change Muddy Paws UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 02:55 PM