Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laying Laminate Flooring

I have a solid floor with the old type hard composition Marley tiles
on top.
Is it necessary to put a polythene damp proofing membrane down before
laying insulation material & then the planks etc. ?

Thanks for any help
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jonjo" wrote in message
I have a solid floor with the old type hard composition Marley tiles
on top.
Is it necessary to put a polythene damp proofing membrane down before
laying insulation material & then the planks etc. ?

Thanks for any help

One question...
Did you have carpet down on this floor?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jonjo" wrote in message
I have a solid floor with the old type hard composition Marley tiles
on top.
Is it necessary to put a polythene damp proofing membrane down before
laying insulation material & then the planks etc. ?

Thanks for any help

I would! Have a look on the many DIY sites or through the Wickes or B&Q
leaflets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 13:56:42 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"jonjo" wrote in message
.. .
I have a solid floor with the old type hard composition Marley tiles
on top.
Is it necessary to put a polythene damp proofing membrane down before
laying insulation material & then the planks etc. ?

Thanks for any help

One question...
Did you have carpet down on this floor?

Yes carpet is down at present
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jonjo wrote:

I have a solid floor with the old type hard composition Marley tiles
on top.
Is it necessary to put a polythene damp proofing membrane down before
laying insulation material & then the planks etc. ?

Thanks for any help

It's probably not strictly necessary, but it won't do any harm - and will
stop any condensation from getting to the laminate. You can get underlay
which has a damp-proof membrane and a thin layer of foam combined, and is
easier to use than the separate stuff.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 17:13:49 +0100, "Roger Mills"

jonjo wrote:

I have a solid floor with the old type hard composition Marley tiles
on top.
Is it necessary to put a polythene damp proofing membrane down before
laying insulation material & then the planks etc. ?

Thanks for any help

It's probably not strictly necessary, but it won't do any harm - and will
stop any condensation from getting to the laminate. You can get underlay
which has a damp-proof membrane and a thin layer of foam combined, and is
easier to use than the separate stuff.

This stuff would probably be better as I think you have to put dpm up
wall under skirting and I don't really want to be arsed with removing
skirting etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It's probably not strictly necessary, but it won't do any harm - and
will stop any condensation from getting to the laminate. You can get
underlay which has a damp-proof membrane and a thin layer of foam
combined, and is easier to use than the separate stuff.

This stuff would probably be better as I think you have to put dpm up
wall under skirting and I don't really want to be arsed with removing
skirting etc.

You won't get a decent job *unless* you remove the skirting. When you put
the skirting back, it covers the expansion gap - otherwise you have to fit
'orrible quadrant which SHOUTS retro-fit!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:13:06 GMT, jonjo wrote:

I have a solid floor with the old type hard composition Marley tiles
on top.
Is it necessary to put a polythene damp proofing membrane down before
laying insulation material & then the planks etc. ?

Thanks for any help

I used cheap plastic sheeting for mine. it was about £3 for 5mx3m
sheet in b+q.
Was stored over with the blue tarps in the building section not in the
flooring bit.

Laying Laminate Flooring Mark Cotton UK diy 7 August 13th 06 04:36 PM
Cost of laying laminate flooring jon UK diy 12 May 15th 06 05:10 PM
laying laminate flooring ron UK diy 12 April 28th 06 12:24 AM
Laying laminate flooring [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 16th 05 02:14 AM
Help - Laying Laminate Flooring without "beading" Steve Harvey UK diy 12 September 21st 05 12:59 PM