Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laying laminate flooring

Hi All,

I'm about to lay some laminate flooring, and on the instructions that
came with the box, it says:

"let the packages of flooring lie flat on the floor for at least 48
hours prior to installation, in the room in which the floor is to be
installed."

Why is this? I just picked up the laminate today and was hoping to get
started installing. I can't do this for another two days?

Thanks for any help!

-Josh

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

It allows the laminate in the boxes to "become one" with the house
environment (moisture levels and temperature). If you do this before
giving the flooring a chance to do this, you could end up with gaps
and/or bulges from the shrinking and swelling of the planks.

I suppose you could accelerate the process a day or so if you were to
open the boxes and separate the planks out so they aren't all one large
stack (maybe 5 or so to a stack). That'll help the temperature
stabilize more quickly. However, doing anything but exactly what the
instructions tell you may void any warranty from the manufacturer, so
take my suggestion at your own risk.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Why is this? I just picked up the laminate today and was hoping to get
started installing. I can't do this for another two days?

Sure, you can get started, but the results may not be what you want or
expect in a few months. It may expand and buckle or it may shrink and leave
gaps. This depends on the temperature and humidity differences between your
house and the storage of the laminate up to now. Best to let it stand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the input. My only response: rats! I guess I will just to
wait until this weekend. I ended up unexpectedly getting the day off
of work due to snow and was hoping to get this done (or at least
started).

Guess I'll just have to figure out something else to do! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I'm about to lay some laminate flooring, and on the instructions that
came with the box, it says:

"let the packages of flooring lie flat on the floor for at least 48
hours prior to installation, in the room in which the floor is to be
installed."

Why is this? I just picked up the laminate today and was hoping to get
started installing. I can't do this for another two days?

Thanks for any help!

-Josh

Unless there is a huge difference in temp and humidity where it was
stored/purchaced and your home then there should not be a problem. I bought
1000 square feet and could not install it all before the AZ summer hit. I
brought in 10 boxes at a time and open them up. By the weekend they and I
were ready.

Did you get the pad and vapor barrier cut all ready?

Following the directions never hurts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SQLit wrote:
Did you get the pad and vapor barrier cut all ready?

I'm installing on a wood subfloor, and I've been told I don't need a
vapor barried... ?

The flooring we're using already has the padding glued onto the bottom
of the laminate, which is fairly convenient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One note/question on this same line: I don't actually have it in the
same room. I have a small (1100 square foot) house that is only one
level. I have the flooring out in the main part of the house
(kitchen/living room), and we're putting it in the master bedroom.

I can't imagine that there will be much difference in humidity and
temperature between the different parts of my small house... right?
Does it really need to be in the same room?

-Josh