Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Amazon Fire TV stick

I've just bought an Amazon Fire TV stick. It arrived next day, The box
contained all I needed to make it work. I plugged it in and it just
worked!!!

No faffing around, no long winded instructions or complex registration.
It just worked, even the voice operated remote control understands what
I want to watch.

Just saying:-)

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes and the screen reader works and net flicks AD, what a pity Amazon
themselves do not do AD content.
I've heard good things about it otherwise.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
I've just bought an Amazon Fire TV stick. It arrived next day, The box
contained all I needed to make it work. I plugged it in and it just
worked!!!

No faffing around, no long winded instructions or complex registration. It
just worked, even the voice operated remote control understands what I
want to watch.

Just saying:-)

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2017 14:45, Muddymike wrote:
I've just bought an Amazon Fire TV stick. It arrived next day, The box
contained all I needed to make it work. I plugged it in and it just
worked!!!

No faffing around, no long winded instructions or complex registration.
It just worked, even the voice operated remote control understands what
I want to watch.

Just saying:-)

Mike

Found anything worth watching:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/17 14:45, Muddymike wrote:
I've just bought an Amazon Fire TV stick. It arrived next day, The box
contained all I needed to make it work. I plugged it in and it just
worked!!!

No faffing around, no long winded instructions or complex registration.
It just worked, even the voice operated remote control understands what
I want to watch.

Just saying:-)

Mike

A remarkably good bit of kit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2017 18:43, ARW wrote:
On 28/04/2017 14:45, Muddymike wrote:
I've just bought an Amazon Fire TV stick. It arrived next day, The box
contained all I needed to make it work. I plugged it in and it just
worked!!!

No faffing around, no long winded instructions or complex registration.
It just worked, even the voice operated remote control understands what
I want to watch.

Just saying:-)

Mike

Found anything worth watching:-)

Its early days but yes we watched a good film last night. Not sure about
"The grand tour" but I'll try another episode or two before making my
mind up.

My main reason for buying it is BBC iplayer. Our old Humax box doesn't
receive it any more.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2017 08:35, Muddymike wrote:
On 28/04/2017 18:43, ARW wrote:
On 28/04/2017 14:45, Muddymike wrote:
I've just bought an Amazon Fire TV stick. It arrived next day, The box
contained all I needed to make it work. I plugged it in and it just
worked!!!

No faffing around, no long winded instructions or complex registration.
It just worked, even the voice operated remote control understands what
I want to watch.

Just saying:-)

Mike

Found anything worth watching:-)

Its early days but yes we watched a good film last night. Not sure about
"The grand tour" but I'll try another episode or two before making my
mind up.

My main reason for buying it is BBC iplayer. Our old Humax box doesn't
receive it any more.

Mike

I've not quite got my head around what the Fire TV Stick *is* and *does*.

Anyone care to explain?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2017 20:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 17:43:04 +0100, Roger
wrote:

I've not quite got my head around what the Fire TV Stick *is* and *does*.

Anyone care to explain?

Puts fire in your stick?

I wish...

So that you can keep an Amazon happy?

[But what about the TV bit?]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2017 17:43, Roger Mills wrote:

I've not quite got my head around what the Fire TV Stick *is* and *does*.

Anyone care to explain?

Its a microphone that plugs into the Internet and anything you say
within range is transmitted back to Amazon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 29/04/2017, Roger Mills supposed :
I've not quite got my head around what the Fire TV Stick *is* and *does*.

Anyone care to explain?

It connects a normal TV, if it has an HDMI input, to the Internet. That
then allows you to stream pay for films and TV programs you might have
missed onto your TV (ITV Hub, UK TV Play, BBCi etc.). Some software
called KODI can be also be installed, which then allows you to watch
much, much more.

It comes as either a stick, or a larger more capable box, each with a
bluetooth remote.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2017 22:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 29/04/2017, Roger Mills supposed :
I've not quite got my head around what the Fire TV Stick *is* and *does*.

Anyone care to explain?

It connects a normal TV, if it has an HDMI input, to the Internet. That
then allows you to stream pay for films and TV programs you might have
missed onto your TV (ITV Hub, UK TV Play, BBCi etc.). Some software
called KODI can be also be installed, which then allows you to watch
much, much more.

It comes as either a stick, or a larger more capable box, each with a
bluetooth remote.

Thanks. Does it speak Android? What's the difference between the stick
and box?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2017 10:46, Roger Mills wrote:

Thanks. Does it speak Android? What's the difference between the stick
and box?

It runs Android, but that's carefully hidden.

The box costs more, responds faster, and IIRC has a port for a wired
connection. I think it has games too.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2017 21:34, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/04/2017 10:46, Roger Mills wrote:

Thanks. Does it speak Android? What's the difference between the stick
and box?

It runs Android, but that's carefully hidden.

The box costs more, responds faster, and IIRC has a port for a wired
connection. I think it has games too.

Andy

The Fire TV box (current one) has H.265 hardware for streaming 4K video.
The Stick is HD only.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2017 22:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 29/04/2017, Roger Mills supposed :
I've not quite got my head around what the Fire TV Stick *is* and *does*.

Anyone care to explain?

It connects a normal TV, if it has an HDMI input, to the Internet. That
then allows you to stream pay for films and TV programs you might have
missed onto your TV (ITV Hub, UK TV Play, BBCi etc.). Some software
called KODI can be also be installed, which then allows you to watch
much, much more.

It comes as either a stick, or a larger more capable box, each with a
bluetooth remote.

That sums it up quite well. The one I have also has voice activated
remote which works incredibly well.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
on 29/04/2017, Roger Mills supposed :
I've not quite got my head around what the Fire TV Stick *is* and *does*.

Anyone care to explain?

It connects a normal TV, if it has an HDMI input, to the Internet. That
then allows you to stream pay for films and TV programs you might have
missed onto your TV (ITV Hub, UK TV Play, BBCi etc.).

my TV already does that - albeit badly

my Freesat box also does it, somewhat better

what neither will do is Amazon Prime or NowTV, I assumed that a fire stick,
or similar would provide that. (they will do Netflix - provided you have an
account)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2017 14:32, tim... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
on 29/04/2017, Roger Mills supposed :
I've not quite got my head around what the Fire TV Stick *is* and
*does*.

Anyone care to explain?

It connects a normal TV, if it has an HDMI input, to the Internet.
That then allows you to stream pay for films and TV programs you might
have missed onto your TV (ITV Hub, UK TV Play, BBCi etc.).

my TV already does that - albeit badly

my Freesat box also does it, somewhat better

what neither will do is Amazon Prime or NowTV, I assumed that a fire
stick, or similar would provide that. (they will do Netflix - provided
you have an account)

Yes there is a lot of pay to view options on there including Netflix.
Ive not felt the need to pay for anything yet

Mike.