Best filler for adhesion to hard plastic?

Old March 30th 07, 10:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best filler for adhesion to hard plastic?

I want to fill out a broken hollow plastic handle so I can put screws into
or though it and am thinking to use Araldite or Plastic Padding (vehicle
repair kind). The type of plastic is probably critical as to what will
adhere to it, and I think it is ABS as it has shattered with a piece broken
out of it and splits in the main part. A garden spade handle would probably
be similar plastic. Its not as soft as a car bumper.

Locktite do a two tube glue called 'Super Plastix' that claims to be 'an
extra strong formulation even for difficult plastics', but the product is
intended just to stick the bits together so comes in very small tubes. I
want to completly fill the moulding so require something of greater volume.

Which would be the best choice Araldite or Plastic Padding ?

Roger R.

Old March 30th 07, 10:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger R wrote:
I want to fill out a broken hollow plastic handle so I can put screws into
or though it and am thinking to use Araldite or Plastic Padding (vehicle
repair kind). The type of plastic is probably critical as to what will
adhere to it, and I think it is ABS as it has shattered with a piece broken
out of it and splits in the main part. A garden spade handle would probably
be similar plastic. Its not as soft as a car bumper.

Locktite do a two tube glue called 'Super Plastix' that claims to be 'an
extra strong formulation even for difficult plastics', but the product is
intended just to stick the bits together so comes in very small tubes. I
want to completly fill the moulding so require something of greater volume.

Which would be the best choice Araldite or Plastic Padding ?

Roger R.

Plastic padding or similar will work best.

Liquid metal,P-38 - they are all similar.
Old March 30th 07, 11:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar, 10:22, "Roger R" wrote:
I want to fill out a broken hollow plastic handle so I can put screws into
or though it and am thinking to use Araldite or Plastic Padding (vehicle
repair kind). The type of plastic is probably critical as to what will
adhere to it, and I think it is ABS as it has shattered with a piece broken
out of it and splits in the main part. A garden spade handle would probably
be similar plastic. Its not as soft as a car bumper.

Locktite do a two tube glue called 'Super Plastix' that claims to be 'an
extra strong formulation even for difficult plastics', but the product is
intended just to stick the bits together so comes in very small tubes. I
want to completly fill the moulding so require something of greater volume.

Which would be the best choice Araldite or Plastic Padding ?

Roger R.

key the inside (non mating surfaces) with a soldering iron or hot
nail.
for a more "structural" fill you could then try stuffing it with p40
fillr (the red fibrous stuff) then bind it with masking tape while it
sets.

or inset a length of coat hanger or wire for re-enforcing and fill
with araldite

or building foam ;-)