Posted to uk.d-i-y
dw dw is offline

Default Connecting bath/sink to existing soil pipe

Can anone advise?
I have an upstairs toilet, which I have extended to fit a bath and
sink. The soil stack is on the outside wall and is cast iron, I need to
connect the pipes from the bath and sink to it.Can I use a 'strap boss'
to do this?
TY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dw wrote:
Can anone advise?
I have an upstairs toilet, which I have extended to fit a bath and
sink. The soil stack is on the outside wall and is cast iron, I need to
connect the pipes from the bath and sink to it.Can I use a 'strap boss'
to do this?
TY

No Strap Bosses are only made to fit PVC Soils Stacks. You may be able
to use a 'screw on' type boss but I cannot remember wether they fit CI.

You have a bit of a problem there. The Cast Iron Soil Stack will be a
real ******* to drill. It might be easier to fit a section of PVC Pipe
at the top of the stack and boss into that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dw dw is offline

Bookworm wrote:
dw wrote:
Can anone advise?
I have an upstairs toilet, which I have extended to fit a bath and
sink. The soil stack is on the outside wall and is cast iron, I need to
connect the pipes from the bath and sink to it.Can I use a 'strap boss'
to do this?
TY

No Strap Bosses are only made to fit PVC Soils Stacks. You may be able
to use a 'screw on' type boss but I cannot remember wether they fit CI.

You have a bit of a problem there. The Cast Iron Soil Stack will be a
real ******* to drill. It might be easier to fit a section of PVC Pipe
at the top of the stack and boss into that.

Cheers.. I thought that my be the case!
I will replace the top of the soil stack, I can put the sink into that
easy enough, but the bath waste will be below where the WC goes into
the stack, making the bottom section a bit more awkward to replace! Was
hoping there might have been an easier solution!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Sep 2006 12:06:50 -0700 someone who may be "Bookworm"
wrote this:-

No Strap Bosses are only made to fit PVC Soils Stacks. You may be able
to use a 'screw on' type boss but I cannot remember wether they fit CI.

I'm not sure what distinction you are making between a "strap on
boss" and a "screw on boss". The ones with a fairly rigid plastic
strap that goes round the pipe and is fitted with a screw are
unlikely to work. However, the sort with two plastic straps that go
round the pipe and are secured with a hand operated nut work very
well on cast iron stacks.

Given that the stack is on the outside and up high, this is one of
the situations where combining the bath and basin wastes, with
suitable precautions, makes sense.

Drilling holes in such pipes was discussed here a month or two ago.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Sep 2006 12:06:50 -0700 Bookworm wrote :
No Strap Bosses are only made to fit PVC Soils Stacks. You may be able
to use a 'screw on' type boss but I cannot remember wether they fit CI.

You can get CI ones too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dw dw is offline

Default Thanks for the help lads...

Do you know if these are available anywhere on line? Are they available
in plumbers merchants, or are they quite difficult to get hold of?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "dw" contains these words:

Do you know if these are available anywhere on line?

What, "lads"?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:00:59 UTC, Guy King
wrote:

The message .com
from "dw" contains these words:

Do you know if these are available anywhere on line?

What, "lads"?

http://www.gayswap.co.uk

!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Sep 2006 11:29:11 -0700, "dw" wrote:

Do you know if these are available anywhere on line? Are they available
in plumbers merchants, or are they quite difficult to get hold of?

yes any plumbers merchants

or online

www.plumbcenter.co.uk

Leaking Soil Pipe? andrewpreece UK diy 8 July 29th 05 05:13 PM
Req'd: Cast Iron Soil Pipe bracket and Cast Iron>Plastic fittings John Borman UK diy 1 January 9th 05 09:05 PM
Leak at plastic soil pipe to clay soil pipe join Darren UK diy 2 October 12th 04 09:49 PM
Soil pipe cracked, usually covered by insurance? caledonianstill UK diy 19 August 28th 04 12:04 PM
toilets / soil pipe position / measurements Colin Wilson UK diy 5 March 25th 04 08:13 PM