Fitting laminated end trims to laminated worktop - how to cut/shape?

Old March 9th 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting laminated end trims to laminated worktop - how to cut/shape?

I'm about to fit the end trims to my laminated worktops in the
kitchen. I have been supplied with laminated strips to be ironed onto
a PVA coating on the end of the worktops. But the trims are several mm
wider/thicker than the 38mm thickness of the worktops.

Trimming the length and shaping the rolled edge is easy enough but
what is the best way to trim the surplus width? Should I leave a small
edge proud to act as a drip edge below the end of the worktop - the
end of the worktop projects about 2cm beyond the cupboard - or should
I trim it to be flush all round?

Should I fit it and then trim or trim and then fit? Scissors cut
through it easily enough but won't be an option once I've fixed it in
place so what is the best tool to cut/shape and reduce thickness
before or after fixing?

Thanks,
Tim.

--
To save on your shopping click here - http://www.rpoints.com/?ruid=44653
To sign up with PlusNet click here - http://tinyurl.com/b9wqs
Old March 9th 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
I'm about to fit the end trims to my laminated worktops in the
kitchen. I have been supplied with laminated strips to be ironed onto
a PVA coating on the end of the worktops. But the trims are several mm
wider/thicker than the 38mm thickness of the worktops.

Trimming the length and shaping the rolled edge is easy enough but
what is the best way to trim the surplus width? Should I leave a small
edge proud to act as a drip edge below the end of the worktop - the
end of the worktop projects about 2cm beyond the cupboard - or should
I trim it to be flush all round?

Should I fit it and then trim or trim and then fit? Scissors cut
through it easily enough but won't be an option once I've fixed it in
place so what is the best tool to cut/shape and reduce thickness
before or after fixing?

If you trim and then fit it won't be exact. I fitted mine and then filed it
to the exact size. If you leave a drip edge, there is always the chance it
will get caught and come off some time in the future.

Old March 9th 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes as Hybrid says, fit and then trim with a file.

Mike

Old March 9th 06, 07:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tiny Tim
writes
I'm about to fit the end trims to my laminated worktops in the
kitchen. I have been supplied with laminated strips to be ironed onto
a PVA coating on the end of the worktops. But the trims are several mm
wider/thicker than the 38mm thickness of the worktops.

Trimming the length and shaping the rolled edge is easy enough but
what is the best way to trim the surplus width? Should I leave a small
edge proud to act as a drip edge below the end of the worktop - the
end of the worktop projects about 2cm beyond the cupboard - or should
I trim it to be flush all round?

Yes, always trim flush, otherwise it will invariably snag on something
and chip.

Should I fit it and then trim or trim and then fit? Scissors cut
through it easily enough but won't be an option once I've fixed it in
place so what is the best tool to cut/shape and reduce thickness
before or after fixing?

Glue on full size and trim later. I use a very sharp plane to
remove/shape the bulk of the overhang, then finish with fine wet'n'dry
paper wrapped round a flat block of wood. Always work at a shallow angle
to the worktop surface, and with the w'n'd along or inwards to the
worktop. Never apply force that will risk opening up the glue joint.

--
steve
Old March 9th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
Yes as Hybrid says, fit and then trim with a file.

Mike

Or stand a worktop offcut on the edging and run Stanley round the edge.
Old March 9th 06, 08:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Mar 2006 07:49:25 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

Yes as Hybrid says, fit and then trim with a file.

Mike

Thanks for the replies. There is a good 5mm surplus so I'll rough trim
with scissors and then file/sand the edges to perfection.

Cheers,
Tim.

Old March 9th 06, 08:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tiny Tim wrote:
[...]

I stick the trim on with evo-stik then when fully dry use a wide sharp
chisel to trim it to size. Then use a sanding block with fine sandpaper
at a slight angle to finish it off.