Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Briggs

Default Fitting laminated end trims to laminated worktop - how to cut/shape?

In message , Tiny Tim
writes
I'm about to fit the end trims to my laminated worktops in the
kitchen. I have been supplied with laminated strips to be ironed onto
a PVA coating on the end of the worktops. But the trims are several mm
wider/thicker than the 38mm thickness of the worktops.

Trimming the length and shaping the rolled edge is easy enough but
what is the best way to trim the surplus width? Should I leave a small
edge proud to act as a drip edge below the end of the worktop - the
end of the worktop projects about 2cm beyond the cupboard - or should
I trim it to be flush all round?

Yes, always trim flush, otherwise it will invariably snag on something
and chip.

Should I fit it and then trim or trim and then fit? Scissors cut
through it easily enough but won't be an option once I've fixed it in
place so what is the best tool to cut/shape and reduce thickness
before or after fixing?

Glue on full size and trim later. I use a very sharp plane to
remove/shape the bulk of the overhang, then finish with fine wet'n'dry
paper wrapped round a flat block of wood. Always work at a shallow angle
to the worktop surface, and with the w'n'd along or inwards to the
worktop. Never apply force that will risk opening up the glue joint.

--
steve