Damaged gas meter cover

Old February 27th 06, 09:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damaged gas meter cover

A certain member of my family has damaged the surface mounted gas meter
cover box mounted on the side of the house reversing a car off the
drive. It's one of those old white composite ones with a drop down door
and the cover is quite badly damged at one corner. I'm pretty sure the
meter inside is undusturbed - at least I can't smell gas! The
backplate still seems securely fastened to the wall.
Can you buy these at a builders merchants (Wickes, B&Q, etc) and fit
these yourself or is there some obligation to contact the meter
provider (British Gas) or the gas supplier (in my case, Powergen).
If, on further inspection, I need to verify the meter/supply is
undamaged who should I call and is there likely to be a charge for
this.
Many thanks.

Old February 27th 06, 09:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

If you can't smell gas I would suggest it is alright. But call National
Grid (nee Transco - 0800 111 999) if your un-happy, but they will only
make if safe by cutting you off.

Old February 27th 06, 09:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Have a look on http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frames_cat.htm,

They have spare doors
Part No 13164 Door for built-in meter box with pins, lock and key

Just incase it might happen again on the page as above they also do
steel doors and frames.

Regards
Darren

Magnetized meter Mike Muderick Electronics Repair 21 February 28th 06 02:19 AM
re-siting gas meter :\) UK diy 5 February 22nd 06 11:07 AM
Gas meter stopper [email protected] UK diy 4 February 21st 06 11:50 PM
New gas meter comes, old boiler fired. Adrian C UK diy 63 August 16th 05 10:37 AM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 05:49 PM