Junior Member

Default Underfloor Heating Issue

I have just bought a new flat from and I am having problems with my underfloor heating. I believe from the builder that it is a cable system. There are 2 zones in the flat one covering the kitchen and living room and the other covers the bedroom and hallway. The heating in the living room and kitchen is fine and I can get the rooms warm.
My problem is with the bedroom and hallway . The floor feels warm however there the actual rooms are cold and never seem to get warm. I have tried running the heating over night to no avail. I have tried setting the temperature on the thermostat in these rooms to maximum but it never gets warmer than 20 degrees celcuis in the rooms. Can anyone help and give me some advice??
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

bermudasun wrote:
I have just bought a new flat from and I am having problems with my
underfloor heating.

Put it in writing to the builder, get him to fix it. The problem will
be worse in 10 or 11 months when it is colder.

My problem is with the bedroom and hallway . The floor feels warm
however there the actual rooms are cold and never seem to get warm.

Inadequate heat output, able to maintain the steady-state heat losses
from the rooms at the design temperatures?
Floor coverings insulating the radiant floor?
Unoccupied, unheated flats adjacent?
New flat, damp plaster, screed & mortar, higher ventilation rates
required to dissipate the moisture?
etc., etc., ?????

If it's too cold now, it will be colder in very cold weather.

have tried running the heating over night to no avail. I have tried
setting the temperature on the thermostat in these rooms to maximum but
it never gets warmer than 20 degrees celcuis in the rooms. Can anyone
help and give me some advice??

20 degC can't be far off the design. Most UFH installed in screed needs
to be run continuously, the heat up time for the floor slab mass is too
long to operate intermittently like conventional radiator heating. The
air temperature can be lower with UFH, whilst still being comfortable,
due to the increased radiant output from the floor, i.e., the air is
cooler, so heat losses from you to the air are higher but heat losses
from you by radiation are lower, so you still feel comfortable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Aidan wrote:
Most UFH installed in screed needs
to be run continuously, the heat up time for the floor slab mass is too
long to operate intermittently like conventional radiator heating.

I beg to differ.

Mine takes about an hour to an hour and a half to be up to temperature.

The
air temperature can be lower with UFH, whilst still being comfortable,
due to the increased radiant output from the floor, i.e., the air is
cooler, so heat losses from you to the air are higher but heat losses
from you by radiation are lower, so you still feel comfortable.

20C would seem to be Ok ish for a hall area..I suspect its just
under-specced.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Pearson

bermudasun wrote:
I have just bought a new flat from and I am having problems with my
underfloor heating. I believe from the builder that it is a cable
system. There are 2 zones in the flat one covering the kitchen and
living room and the other covers the bedroom and hallway. The heating
in the living room and kitchen is fine and I can get the rooms warm.
My problem is with the bedroom and hallway . The floor feels warm
however there the actual rooms are cold and never seem to get warm. I
have tried running the heating over night to no avail. I have tried
setting the temperature on the thermostat in these rooms to maximum
but it never gets warmer than 20 degrees celcuis in the rooms. Can
anyone help and give me some advice??

By cable I assume that you mean an electric system - we use a similar system
in our kitchen, and hidden in the settings is a maximum temperature which
the floor is allowed to get (I'm pretty sure I can set a temp higher on the
front end of the control, but it gets overridden by the max temp setting),
maybe they have set this too low? - Also these system unlike conventional
radiators are designed to be on all the time - we have ours set to 16 deg
during day and night, and increase it to 21 deg in mornings and eves.

Jon

Seeking Popular Woodworking Table Saw Issue Electric Stu Woodworking 0 December 18th 04 03:07 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Glass protective screen on Plasma TV safety issue JVC Dude Electronics Repair 13 November 15th 04 04:24 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler Issue Dave Clark UK diy 7 March 6th 04 02:02 AM
Panasonic Cordless Phone KX-TGA270 - Battery Issue Jerry G. Electronics Repair 3 February 15th 04 09:52 AM