Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin

Default Zanussi Washing Machine Bearing

Hi,

The washing machine makes a loud banging noise when spinning. It is at least
twenty years old and so not doing too bad.

Had a look at it today, the drum seems to have a lot of slack in it and I am
assuming that the bearing is going.

Does this sound plausible? If it is the bearing, is it worth repairing or
should I buy a shiny new "AAA" rated washing machine?

TIA Colin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bill

"Colin" wrote in message
Hi,

The washing machine makes a loud banging noise when spinning. It is at
least twenty years old and so not doing too bad.

Had a look at it today, the drum seems to have a lot of slack in it and I
am assuming that the bearing is going.

Does this sound plausible? If it is the bearing, is it worth repairing or
should I buy a shiny new "AAA" rated washing machine?

TIA Colin

If you have the proper tools then repair it, you will need a bearing puller
as they are packed in very tight. A hammer and screwdriver will not work!
It's easier to get a new washing machine unless you want to spend half the
cost of a new one on tools and parts. They're not worth it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin

as they are packed in very tight. A hammer and screwdriver will not work!

Ahah! I wondered how the bearings were replaced.

I think that settles it.

It will be sad to see the machine go. I suspect a new machine won't last
twenty years.

Thanks,
Colin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
powerstation

"Colin" wrote in message
as they are packed in very tight. A hammer and screwdriver will not
work!

Ahah! I wondered how the bearings were replaced.

I think that settles it.

It will be sad to see the machine go. I suspect a new machine won't last
twenty years.

Thanks,
Colin

Bearing puller ???
I as a professional have never had cause to use special tools and none are
specified by Zanussi for the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:31:27 UTC, "bill"
wrote:

If you have the proper tools then repair it, you will need a bearing puller
as they are packed in very tight. A hammer and screwdriver will not work!

Well, it may have to be a special one that's designed to get bearings
out of blind housings (don't know the Zanussi, mind). I got the bearings
out of my Hotpoint with a hammer and cold chisel; easy once I used a big
enough hammer.

It's easier to get a new washing machine unless you want to spend half the
cost of a new one on tools and parts. They're not worth it.

Possibly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

It's easier to get a new washing machine unless you want to spend half the
cost of a new one on tools and parts. They're not worth it.

Possibly.

New bearing kit (two bearings and bearing seal) for a Hotpoint
is under a fiver. Buy a new drum seal at the same time as old
one won't reseal after 20 years. Don't know if same applies to
a Zanussi.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Colin wrote:
Hi,

The washing machine makes a loud banging noise when spinning. It is at least
twenty years old and so not doing too bad.

Had a look at it today, the drum seems to have a lot of slack in it and I am
assuming that the bearing is going.

Does this sound plausible? If it is the bearing, is it worth repairing or
should I buy a shiny new "AAA" rated washing machine?

Are you sure it's not the dampers that have failed, allowing the drum to
knock against the housing when it's spinning off-balance? The bearings
are quite likely available from a bearing factor at a reasonable cost,
but the dampers might be rather more difficult and expensive to obtain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 13:31:27 GMT, "bill"
wrote:

you will need a bearing puller

From what I can remember, Zanussi machines had a couple of threaded
holes (Possibly M8) on the 'spider', one either side of the drum
shaft.

Using a piece of dexion angle iron (Or other drilled piece of metal)
and a range of nuts and bolts it is a fairly simple process to push
the bearing out.

sponix