Peter

Default How do I dissolve and clean burned sugar from an enamelled metal surface?

I have tried all the solvents I can lay my hands on but can't find any
that will remove burned sugar syrup from the white enamel metal
surface of the cooker.

Any remedies?

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Peter writes:
I have tried all the solvents I can lay my hands on but can't find any
that will remove burned sugar syrup from the white enamel metal
surface of the cooker.

Any remedies?

Water (better if hot) should dissole it, I would have thought.
Be careful with chemicals (particularly acids) on enamelled
metal, as they will easily destroy the polished surface.

Is there still an obvious residue there which you can feel
if you run your fingers over it, or just visible staining?
If the latter, it may be that the enamel surface had already
been damaged before the sugar was spilt on it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Peter

Is there still an obvious residue there which you can feel
if you run your fingers over it, or just visible staining?
If the latter, it may be that the enamel surface had already
been damaged before the sugar was spilt on it.

I am pretty sure its just visible staining. It's black like charcoal.
and I can scrape it off carefully with a razor blade but I would
prefer to find a chemical method that may be a little less likely to
scratch the enamel.

ben

Peter wrote:
I have tried all the solvents I can lay my hands on but can't find any
that will remove burned sugar syrup from the white enamel metal
surface of the cooker.

Any remedies?

Mr sheen oven cleaner.

Peter

Mr sheen oven cleaner.

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't try this first but I squirted it
with Mr Muscle oven cleaner and it dissolved it in under an hour.

I wonder what the active ingredient in that aerosol is?

Smudger

Peter said the following on 18/09/2005 12:09:
I have tried all the solvents I can lay my hands on but can't find any
that will remove burned sugar syrup from the white enamel metal
surface of the cooker.

Any remedies?

http://www.globallubricants.co.uk/products.htm

scroll down to Food Industry Products "MAMMOTH OIL 25"
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Peter writes:
Mr sheen oven cleaner.

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't try this first but I squirted it
with Mr Muscle oven cleaner and it dissolved it in under an hour.

I wonder what the active ingredient in that aerosol is?

Probably Sodium Hydroxide -- it should say on the container.
In that case, I suspect your sugar syrup had also contained
some fats, as Sodium Hydroxide is good at breaking down burnt
(polymerised) fat.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Badger

Peter wrote:

I have tried all the solvents I can lay my hands on but can't find any
that will remove burned sugar syrup from the white enamel metal
surface of the cooker.

Any remedies?

How good is the enamel? How fluid was the syrup when it got on it?
Depending on both factors it may dissolve with water or commercial
cleaner, it may also have marked the surface or cracked it, glass topped
hobs can be wrecked by molten sugar cooling....
Chris Bacon

Peter wrote:
Thanks, I don't know why I didn't try this first but I squirted it
with Mr Muscle oven cleaner and it dissolved it in under an hour.

I wonder what the active ingredient in that aerosol is?

Mr. Muscle is very good, don't let it dry on, though. It's also
an absolute abstrad, read the label and take precautions. The
ingredients should be listed.
Peter

scroll down to Food Industry Products "MAMMOTH OIL 25"

Wow! Now that's some stuff that Delia doesn't list for a well stocked
kitchen.