RedOnRed

Default Trickle Vents

I'm just about to have some (wooden) double glazing installed and the installer has advised me that trickle/night vents aren't really necessary and that the windows can be left slightly and securely open to have the same effect. He also says that they are very ugly.

They have advised that I can have them if I want, but I don't really need to bother.

Are they essential, or can I manage without them?

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"RedOnRed" writes:

Please turn of the MIME and post in plain text.

I'm just about to have some (wooden) double glazing installed and the =
installer has advised me that trickle/night vents aren't really =
necessary and that the windows can be left slightly and securely open to =
have the same effect. He also says that they are very ugly.

They have advised that I can have them if I want, but I don't really =
need to bother.

Are they essential, or can I manage without them?

They are not required if the window can be locked in a trickle
ventilation mode. My window installer said most private properties
don't have them installed, but councils usually require them in
council properties. He also always advised fitting them in rented
out properties, where the non-owner residents often think nothing
of leaving wet washing out to dry with all the windows shut, and
then complain to the landlord of condensation/mold.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 11:01:28 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

| I'm just about to have some (wooden) double glazing installed and the installer has advised me that trickle/night vents aren't really necessary and that the windows can be left slightly and securely open to have the same effect. He also says that they are very ugly.
|
| They have advised that I can have them if I want, but I don't really need to bother.
|
| Are they essential, or can I manage without them?

Some ventilation is necessary especially in kitchens and Bathrooms. Also
all over the house in hot weather.

My double glazed units have two locked positions, one no ventilation and
another *locked* about 1/2 ins open. In winter I put a bit of 1/2 ins
square wood on the open side of the window to reduce the ventilation the
about 2 sq ins per window.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.

Tricke Vents Rick UK diy 5 August 29th 05 08:47 AM
Roof vents flash UK diy 11 June 24th 05 08:58 PM
Number of return vents vs. supply vents jeff Home Repair 6 November 9th 04 04:05 PM
Adding A/C Vents this way barry martin Home Repair 0 June 5th 04 04:36 PM
Damp patch around air vents in bedroom Nathan Critchlow-Watton UK diy 6 January 12th 04 07:09 PM