Block paving - in between the gaps

Old August 24th 05, 10:03 AM
icornish

Default Block paving - in between the gaps

Have a block paving driveway on my property (came with the house).
Seems to be just sand between the blocks, though now it is more sand
and weeds.
Can I brush out the sand, and use weedkiller then use a dry mix of sand
and cement to "seal" the gaps between the blocks ?

Also, I have some slabs in the patio - is it recommended to fill the
gaps between these with a dry mix of sand and cement ?

TIA

Old August 24th 05, 10:49 AM
[email protected]

icornish wrote:
Have a block paving driveway on my property (came with the house).
Seems to be just sand between the blocks, though now it is more sand
and weeds.
Can I brush out the sand, and use weedkiller then use a dry mix of sand
and cement to "seal" the gaps between the blocks ?

Also, I have some slabs in the patio - is it recommended to fill the
gaps between these with a dry mix of sand and cement ?

TIA

Block paving works with friction and you're not supposed to use cement.
I've heard some say to use a very light cement mix to sprinkle over the
top to help seal the sand in but I don't go near the stuff.

For patio slabs you should use a sand and cement mix. If you're using
it dry then first drench the joints with water then make good as it
sets as you would brick pointing.

Old August 24th 05, 11:10 AM
icornish

Thanks for the advise.

Re the block paving, apart from flooding it with weedkiller, and
putting new sand down, any suggestions to keep the weeds at bay?

Old August 24th 05, 11:55 AM
[email protected]

icornish wrote:
Thanks for the advise.

Re the block paving, apart from flooding it with weedkiller, and
putting new sand down, any suggestions to keep the weeds at bay?

This might help, look here

http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks.htm

under 'Maintenance'

Old August 24th 05, 12:02 PM
Steven Campbell

"icornish" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have a block paving driveway on my property (came with the house).
Seems to be just sand between the blocks, though now it is more sand
and weeds.
Can I brush out the sand, and use weedkiller then use a dry mix of sand
and cement to "seal" the gaps between the blocks ?

Also, I have some slabs in the patio - is it recommended to fill the
gaps between these with a dry mix of sand and cement ?

Don't use cement on the block paving as you will stain it.
It is special kiln dried sand that goes between the joint.
See these web sites:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/pointing.htm#dry
http://www.pavingexpert.com/pointing.htm
http://www.pavingexpert.com

Steven

Old August 24th 05, 05:20 PM
The Natural Philosopher

icornish wrote:

Thanks for the advise.

Re the block paving, apart from flooding it with weedkiller, and
putting new sand down, any suggestions to keep the weeds at bay?

Not really.

Seeds will get into any small crack full of wet sand and germinate.

Old August 24th 05, 08:20 PM
david lang

"icornish" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the advise.

Re the block paving, apart from flooding it with weedkiller, and
putting new sand down, any suggestions to keep the weeds at bay?

Flood it with a sodium chlorate weed killer - lasts up to 6 months.

Dave

Old August 24th 05, 08:35 PM
Weatherlawyer

Steven Campbell wrote:
"icornish" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don't use cement on the block paving as you will stain it.
It is special kiln dried sand that goes between the joint.

Kiln dried sand will cost a bomb. It might be useful for using as a
filler with the sort of resin used with fibre-glass.

All you need to do once you have put weed killer down (as you don't own
a British made diesel) is brick-sand, a warm, sunny day and a soft
broom.

Old August 24th 05, 10:37 PM
david lang

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
Kiln dried sand will cost a bomb. It might be useful for using as a
filler with the sort of resin used with fibre-glass.

Kiln dried sand is available in Wickes at about 2:50 a bag - it's cheap as
chips.
Dave

Old August 24th 05, 10:55 PM
Steven Campbell

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steven Campbell wrote:
"icornish" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don't use cement on the block paving as you will stain it.
It is special kiln dried sand that goes between the joint.

Kiln dried sand will cost a bomb. It might be useful for using as a
filler with the sort of resin used with fibre-glass.

Where do you shop for your kiln dried sand? Its under 5 a bag and 1 bag
does me for a 3 car drive.

Steven.

Block paving I'm not crofter either UK diy 5 August 19th 05 03:08 PM
block paving, its edging, and man hole cover Dundonald UK diy 2 April 14th 05 03:06 PM
Block Paving Season? John UK diy 5 September 15th 04 02:06 PM
Rain seeping inside through concrete block wall above grade (Warning: LONG explanation) Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 9 September 8th 04 02:43 AM
Block paving Mark Webb UK diy 3 August 17th 03 02:00 PM