John

Default Block Paving Season?

I have just had a satisfactory quote for Block Paving my drive and part of
front garden. However, the contractor can't do the job until the end of Jan
2005.

Question: Will the weather / temp / damp affect the quality of the work in
any way? should I put it off until later?

--

Regards

John

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

sid

I have just had a satisfactory quote for Block Paving my drive and part of
front garden. However, the contractor can't do the job until the end of

Jan
2005.

Question: Will the weather / temp / damp affect the quality of the work in
any way? should I put it off until later?

Sand can cause some problems as it should be dry before blocks are laid
etc.but it should be easy to protect with tarpaulin as required.

Best place to ask is www.pavingexpert.com and go the forum. You will need to
register (free) before you can ask a question but no doubt your query has
been asked before and there will be archive information.

The site also has very extensive information on construction details for
block paving. A lot more to the work than it seems. "Knowledge is power" as
they say. Majority of contractors are honest and decent - unfortunately a
small minority gallop up your drive to quote you "happy".

The contractor should have given a breakdown of material costs etc.and
drainage requirements. He should also indicate the levels he is going to use
to drain surface water.
BTW, what price per sq. metre is it going to cost you.
£55 to £60 seems to be the norm

Rick Dipper

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:21:42 GMT, "John" wrote:

I have just had a satisfactory quote for Block Paving my drive and part of
front garden. However, the contractor can't do the job until the end of Jan
2005.

Question: Will the weather / temp / damp affect the quality of the work in
any way? should I put it off until later?

It will probably take longer to do, on my project wet weather slows
stuff down. If its too wet we don't do excavating as it just makes a
HUGE mess.

Rick

sid

£55 to £60 seems to be the norm

"John" wrote in message
£3650 for approx 80 sq Metres

£45 a metre. Could be ok depending on where you live but I would check the
spec given by your contractor against the info on the pavingexpert website.
The sub-base is crucial to the longevity of the driveway. Drainage is
another factor given the heavy rainfall experienced this year and the area
to be block paved.

Colour of cheaper concrete block paving tends to fade over time. Clay pavers
do not, but could be 50% more expensive.
..