DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Block paving - in between the gaps (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/118207-block-paving-between-gaps.html)

icornish August 24th 05 10:03 AM

Block paving - in between the gaps

Have a block paving driveway on my property (came with the house).
Seems to be just sand between the blocks, though now it is more sand
and weeds.
Can I brush out the sand, and use weedkiller then use a dry mix of sand
and cement to "seal" the gaps between the blocks ?

Also, I have some slabs in the patio - is it recommended to fill the
gaps between these with a dry mix of sand and cement ?

TIA

[email protected] August 24th 05 10:49 AM

icornish wrote:
Have a block paving driveway on my property (came with the house).
Seems to be just sand between the blocks, though now it is more sand
and weeds.
Can I brush out the sand, and use weedkiller then use a dry mix of sand
and cement to "seal" the gaps between the blocks ?

Also, I have some slabs in the patio - is it recommended to fill the
gaps between these with a dry mix of sand and cement ?

TIA

Block paving works with friction and you're not supposed to use cement.
I've heard some say to use a very light cement mix to sprinkle over the
top to help seal the sand in but I don't go near the stuff.

For patio slabs you should use a sand and cement mix. If you're using
it dry then first drench the joints with water then make good as it
sets as you would brick pointing.

icornish August 24th 05 11:10 AM

Thanks for the advise.

Re the block paving, apart from flooding it with weedkiller, and
putting new sand down, any suggestions to keep the weeds at bay?

[email protected] August 24th 05 11:55 AM

icornish wrote:
Thanks for the advise.

Re the block paving, apart from flooding it with weedkiller, and
putting new sand down, any suggestions to keep the weeds at bay?

This might help, look here

http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks.htm

under 'Maintenance'

Steven Campbell August 24th 05 12:02 PM

"icornish" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have a block paving driveway on my property (came with the house).
Seems to be just sand between the blocks, though now it is more sand
and weeds.
Can I brush out the sand, and use weedkiller then use a dry mix of sand
and cement to "seal" the gaps between the blocks ?

Also, I have some slabs in the patio - is it recommended to fill the
gaps between these with a dry mix of sand and cement ?

Don't use cement on the block paving as you will stain it.
It is special kiln dried sand that goes between the joint.
See these web sites:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/pointing.htm#dry
http://www.pavingexpert.com/pointing.htm
http://www.pavingexpert.com

Steven

The Natural Philosopher August 24th 05 05:20 PM

icornish wrote:

Thanks for the advise.

Re the block paving, apart from flooding it with weedkiller, and
putting new sand down, any suggestions to keep the weeds at bay?

Not really.

Seeds will get into any small crack full of wet sand and germinate.

david lang August 24th 05 08:20 PM

"icornish" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the advise.

Re the block paving, apart from flooding it with weedkiller, and
putting new sand down, any suggestions to keep the weeds at bay?

Flood it with a sodium chlorate weed killer - lasts up to 6 months.

Dave

Weatherlawyer August 24th 05 08:35 PM

Steven Campbell wrote:
"icornish" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don't use cement on the block paving as you will stain it.
It is special kiln dried sand that goes between the joint.

Kiln dried sand will cost a bomb. It might be useful for using as a
filler with the sort of resin used with fibre-glass.

All you need to do once you have put weed killer down (as you don't own
a British made diesel) is brick-sand, a warm, sunny day and a soft
broom.

david lang August 24th 05 10:37 PM

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
Kiln dried sand will cost a bomb. It might be useful for using as a
filler with the sort of resin used with fibre-glass.

Kiln dried sand is available in Wickes at about £2:50 a bag - it's cheap as
chips.
Dave

Steven Campbell August 24th 05 10:55 PM

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steven Campbell wrote:
"icornish" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don't use cement on the block paving as you will stain it.
It is special kiln dried sand that goes between the joint.

Kiln dried sand will cost a bomb. It might be useful for using as a
filler with the sort of resin used with fibre-glass.

Where do you shop for your kiln dried sand? Its under £5 a bag and 1 bag
does me for a 3 car drive.

Steven.

[email protected] August 24th 05 11:09 PM

david lang wrote:

"icornish" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the advise.

Re the block paving, apart from flooding it with weedkiller, and
putting new sand down, any suggestions to keep the weeds at bay?

Flood it with a sodium chlorate weed killer - lasts up to 6 months.

.... and 'up to' are the operative words, in our paved areas it keeps
the weeds at bay for six weeks if we're lucky.

--
Chris Green

nafuk August 25th 05 11:18 AM

Use kiln dried sand and brush it in with a broom

Someone on a diy group (this one?) asked a chap spraying weeds using a
backpack sprayer, on a pavement area, what brand of weed killer he was
using. He replied 'salt and wate"r. Chap who asked the question tried
this at home and said it worked. I'll be trying this soon but it may be
worth a go.