How to vent a cooker hood outside

Old July 11th 05, 02:45 PM
Junior Member

Default How to vent a cooker hood outside

Hi,

I want to vent my cooker extractor hood through an outside brick wall.

My first problem is that directly above the hood is an air brick. I could only put the vent about 18", at best, from the air brick and I'm sure that the extracted fumes will find their way back into the house through the air brick.

Could I knock a hole through the air brick and put the vent through that?

Any suggestions gladly welcomed

Many thanks

David
Old July 13th 05, 11:13 AM
Member

Location: Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks1967
Hi,

I want to vent my cooker extractor hood through an outside brick wall.

My first problem is that directly above the hood is an air brick. I could only put the vent about 18", at best, from the air brick and I'm sure that the extracted fumes will find their way back into the house through the air brick.

Could I knock a hole through the air brick and put the vent through that?

Any suggestions gladly welcomed

Many thanks

David
I don't see why not, but you would lose the airbrick designed to ventilate the kitchen. Will this be a problem if you have gas burning appliances in there? Probably not if the kitchen can be ventilated by at least one open window.
Old July 13th 05, 03:04 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

dks1967 wrote:
I want to vent my cooker extractor hood through an outside brick wall.

My first problem is that directly above the hood is an air brick. I
could only put the vent about 18", at best, from the air brick and I'm
sure that the extracted fumes will find their way back into the house
through the air brick.

Could I knock a hole through the air brick and put the vent through
that?

Provided there are other means of air access to the room if there are gas
appliances, etc.

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman London SW