Mark

Default Ducting for kitchen cooker hood

Hi,

I am having problems locating suitable ducting for my new kitchen
cooker hood. My old hood had very small rectangular section ducting
which was woefully inadequate (100x50mm approx). As I have limited
height and width to fit the ducting in I can't really go for wider
rectangular ducting. I only have about 110mm by 130mm space to run
the duct through the outside wall.

I've looked around in B&Q etc but I can't find anything suitable as
their kits seem to be all rectangular. I think a round ducting would
be better. All I could find was some 100mm round flexible ducting
which I can't get to fit the hood. The hood does have a 150mm, 125mm
and 100mm adapter but I don't know how to fix the hose onto this.

Can anyone help with with detailed advice please on this issue, like
where to get the right ducting and exactly what to buy? The hood is
approximately 1700mm from the outside wall and the only place to go
through the outside wall is between a window lintel and an external
extension.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Mark

Lobster

Mark wrote:

[...]

Try http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frames_cat.htm
Search for item ref 15730, which is 3m x 125mm ducting: that gets you
into the right section on the site: there you'll find narrower ducting,
reducing adaptors, everything you might need for this.

If you can use the 125mm OD stuff that will be better than 100mm - the
concertina-like ducting will squash a bit, so maybe it will fit in your
110mm wide space

hth
David

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:12:03 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Mark wrote:

[...]

I've just bought some 125mm flexible ducting from

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...dex/index.html

service was fast - order online Friday delivered Monday am
royall at which net
Mark

wrote:

Mark wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure how to join sections of
ducting together. The 100mm flexible ducting I have won't fit on the
adapter that I have.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:29:23 +0000, Mark
wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure how to join sections of
ducting together. The 100mm flexible ducting I have won't fit on the
adapter that I have.

Also - what should be used to duct through the cavity wall to the
outside?

Thanks, Mark

wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure how to join sections of
ducting together. The 100mm flexible ducting I have won't fit on the
adapter that I have.

Also - what should be used to duct through the cavity wall to the
outside?

Thanks, Mark

Measure the adaptor diameter and choose your ducting size, secure with
large "jubilee type" clips

I am sure you can buy joining pieces and the wall/plate to go through
the wall, You may find more choice of wallplate/grill in 100mm(4") ,
you an get adaptors.

Look at the links provided and you should see what you need.

IME local merchants only stock 100mm, so you have to use mailorder.

Robert
royall at which net
Lobster

wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure how to join sections of
ducting together. The 100mm flexible ducting I have won't fit on the
adapter that I have.

Have you got a matching ducting/adaptor pair? It should be a pretty
tight fit - you need to 'screw' the flexible ducting over the end of the
adaptor or ducting before you use a jubilee clip to hold it in place.

Also - what should be used to duct through the cavity wall to the
outside?

Neatest solution is to fit a length of solid ducting through a round
hole in the wall; it should be flush with the outside surface of the
wall when you're done. It wants to slope slightly towards the outside
to encourage condensation to flow out rather than in. You then fill in
any space around the ducting with mortar to make a sealed, firm, neat
job. Next day you can fit a grille to the wall outside; this will have
a male 100mm diameter bit which will fit snugly into the ducting you've
fitted (but you still fix it firmly in place with screws.

On the inside wall, I usually just let the ducting protrude by an inch
or two, and fit the flexible ducting over the end of that (it's usually
all hidden by boxing anyway).

David
raden

In message , Mark
writes
Hi,

I am having problems locating suitable ducting for my new kitchen
cooker hood. My old hood had very small rectangular section ducting
which was woefully inadequate (100x50mm approx). As I have limited
height and width to fit the ducting in I can't really go for wider
rectangular ducting. I only have about 110mm by 130mm space to run
the duct through the outside wall.

I've looked around in B&Q etc but I can't find anything suitable as
their kits seem to be all rectangular. I think a round ducting would
be better. All I could find was some 100mm round flexible ducting
which I can't get to fit the hood. The hood does have a 150mm, 125mm
and 100mm adapter but I don't know how to fix the hose onto this.

"Rectangular ducting" brings up loads of hits

BES, Axminster etc sell it, so possibly will your local CH merchant

--
geoff
Mark

wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure how to join sections of
ducting together. The 100mm flexible ducting I have won't fit on the
adapter that I have.

Have you got a matching ducting/adaptor pair? It should be a pretty
tight fit - you need to 'screw' the flexible ducting over the end of the
adaptor or ducting before you use a jubilee clip to hold it in place.

I tried to fit the flexible ducting over the adapter but it just
damaged the plastic on the ducting. However I have seen something on
BES now that might do the trick: "Threaded Hose Connector with Spigot"
(Part No. 11427).

Also - what should be used to duct through the cavity wall to the
outside?

Neatest solution is to fit a length of solid ducting through a round
hole in the wall; it should be flush with the outside surface of the
wall when you're done. It wants to slope slightly towards the outside
to encourage condensation to flow out rather than in. You then fill in
any space around the ducting with mortar to make a sealed, firm, neat
job. Next day you can fit a grille to the wall outside; this will have
a male 100mm diameter bit which will fit snugly into the ducting you've
fitted (but you still fix it firmly in place with screws.

On the inside wall, I usually just let the ducting protrude by an inch
or two, and fit the flexible ducting over the end of that (it's usually
all hidden by boxing anyway).

I'll try this. Thanks for the help.

Mark

Earthing cooker hood [email protected] UK diy 4 December 14th 04 07:43 PM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 11:48 PM
Cooker Hood Ducting Danny Monaghan UK diy 6 April 4th 04 10:29 PM
Cooker hood wiring again! John Greenwood UK diy 3 July 31st 03 12:10 PM