Jon

Default removing cork tiles - is there an easy(er) way?

I've got 2 cork floors which need removing. Last time I removed cork
tiles by peeling/prying them off with a scraper (using a hammer for
additional force) - this took ages and was v hard work... If anyone
knows an easier way of doing this, I'd be VERY grateful.

Thanks,

Jon

Lobster

Jon wrote:
I've got 2 cork floors which need removing. Last time I removed cork
tiles by peeling/prying them off with a scraper (using a hammer for
additional force) - this took ages and was v hard work... If anyone
knows an easier way of doing this, I'd be VERY grateful.

One of these will help a bit, but it still ain't very easy:

David
EricP

On 4 Apr 2005 06:51:02 -0700, "Jon" babbled
like a waterfall and said:

I've got 2 cork floors which need removing. Last time I removed cork
tiles by peeling/prying them off with a scraper (using a hammer for
additional force) - this took ages and was v hard work... If anyone
knows an easier way of doing this, I'd be VERY grateful.

Thanks,

Jon

No easy way. Just get one of those long handled scrapers and get to
it. (

Jon

Cheers - a long handled scraper should make for an easier life anyway.
Last time I did it on my hands and knees, which didn't do my knees or
back much good...

Jon

Tom

"Jon" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got 2 cork floors which need removing. Last time I removed cork
tiles by peeling/prying them off with a scraper (using a hammer for
additional force) - this took ages and was v hard work... If anyone
knows an easier way of doing this, I'd be VERY grateful.

Thanks,

Jon

You could try burning/melting them? Might make a bit of mess of the room
though.

Tom

doozer

Jon wrote:
I've got 2 cork floors which need removing. Last time I removed cork
tiles by peeling/prying them off with a scraper (using a hammer for
additional force) - this took ages and was v hard work... If anyone
knows an easier way of doing this, I'd be VERY grateful.

Thanks,

Jon

A similar thread came up about a week ago. Someone suggested a steam
iron on full melted the glue and made it much easier to lift them. I
thought I wall paper steam might do a similar job. It's worth a shot I
think.
Jon

I don't think cork melts, unless I'm misreading the post? And yeah,
burning them would make quite a mess... Thanks for the ideas though;
the fire option might be more tempting after the first couple of hours
work

Jon

Jon

Cheers Doozer, might give the iron a try...

Jon

RichardS

"doozer" wrote in message
Jon wrote:
I've got 2 cork floors which need removing. Last time I removed cork
tiles by peeling/prying them off with a scraper (using a hammer for
additional force) - this took ages and was v hard work... If anyone
knows an easier way of doing this, I'd be VERY grateful.

Thanks,

Jon

A similar thread came up about a week ago. Someone suggested a steam
iron on full melted the glue and made it much easier to lift them. I
thought I wall paper steam might do a similar job. It's worth a shot I
think.

I think it'd be a sure-fire way to knacker your steam iron or cover it in
white-shirt-unfriendly gunk, so would be well worth hiring a wallpaper
stripper to try this out!

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Ali Mac

"Jon" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got 2 cork floors which need removing. Last time I removed cork
tiles by peeling/prying them off with a scraper (using a hammer for
additional force) - this took ages and was v hard work... If anyone
knows an easier way of doing this, I'd be VERY grateful.
Thanks,
Jon

You could rent one of these:

http://www.speedyhire.co.uk/products...token=23538422

Last w/e we put a 175kg steel beam in the wall which took 5 blokes and
several pairs of brown trousers so now I'm into hiring absolutely everything
that could possibly help with anything.

Alistair

Jon

Like the look of that big scraper thing not sure if I'd rather pay
the 50 quid or put in the elbow grease, though - will see how it
goes....

Jon

Mary Fisher

"doozer" wrote in message
Jon wrote:
I've got 2 cork floors which need removing. Last time I removed cork
tiles by peeling/prying them off with a scraper (using a hammer for
additional force) - this took ages and was v hard work... If anyone
knows an easier way of doing this, I'd be VERY grateful.

Thanks,

Jon

A similar thread came up about a week ago. Someone suggested a steam iron
on full melted the glue and made it much easier to lift them. I thought I
wall paper steam might do a similar job. It's worth a shot I think.

If steam works a good steam cleaner would be better than either of the
above, I think.

Mary

Lobster

Jon wrote:
Cheers - a long handled scraper should make for an easier life anyway.
Last time I did it on my hands and knees, which didn't do my knees or
back much good...

It will do much more than help the knees and back; it transforms the
scraping operation from a 'single-wrist' job to a 'two-arm' job - it's a
whole new ball game. Similar benefit to simply adding a broom handle to
a paint roller!

David
Jon

Thanks for all the suggestions...now I just have to get round to doing
the work...

Jon

Mary Fisher

"Jon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the suggestions...now I just have to get round to doing
the work...

What's worse is that you reminded me of a few tiles on our doom box which
have been lifting for years but won't leap off voluntarily.

Still, it will keep me off the streets ...

Mary

Jon

Andy

"Jon" wrote in message roups.com...
I've got 2 cork floors which need removing. Last time I removed cork
tiles by peeling/prying them off with a scraper (using a hammer for
additional force) - this took ages and was v hard work... If anyone
knows an easier way of doing this, I'd be VERY grateful.

Thanks,

Jon

http://www.hirecentres.com/index.php...=196&cat_id=14

!!!

Jon wrote:
Cheers - a long handled scraper should make for an easier life

anyway.
Last time I did it on my hands and knees, which didn't do my knees or
back much good...

I had the same problem, but with those old thick vinyl tiles. I used a
carpet bolster and club hammer. This may be somewhat overkill for cork
;-)

Cheers,

Paul.