Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dishwater Motor

From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old.
The motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across
the house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

To say on topic, I clean some of my woodworking tools in the dishwasher ; )

Thanks,
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2011 8:33 PM, Bill wrote:
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The
motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across the
house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

Hard to tell without seeing the general condition of the unit, but
replacement at that age is generally not a bad move considering the
cost, and probably increased efficiency, of a new one.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2011 8:33 PM, Bill wrote:
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The
motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across the
house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

To say on topic, I clean some of my woodworking tools in the dishwasher ; )

Thanks,
Bill

You may have a wood chip in the impeller. Some dis-assembly and
inspection may be in order.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

?
"Bill" wrote in message
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The
motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across the
house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

To say on topic, I clean some of my woodworking tools in the dishwasher
; )

Thanks,
Bill

The machine should last another 8 years with a repair. Unless you have
other issues, fix it. Be sure it is the motor and not some other component
making the noise, such as pump or bearing someplace.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"Bill" wrote in message
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The
motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across the
house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

To say on topic, I clean some of my woodworking tools in the
dishwasher ; )

Thanks,
Bill

The machine should last another 8 years with a repair. Unless you have
other issues, fix it. Be sure it is the motor and not some other
component making the noise, such as pump or bearing someplace.

I'll try to double-check. The fact that the unit still basically
operates suggested to me that the problem was probably a bad bearing. I
assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that this would mean it would be necessary
to replace the motor.

I owe it to my wallet to remove a few parts and take a closer look (If I
can't locate a diagram online). If I don't find bearings I can replace,
I'll replace the unit. For those that would be concerned, I'll turn the
power off at the breaker.

Thank you,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

..

I owe it to my wallet to remove a few parts and take a closer look (If I
can't locate a diagram online). *If I don't find bearings I can replace,
I'll replace the unit. *For those that would be concerned, I'll turn the
power off at the breaker.

Thank you,
Bill- Hide quoted text -

Bill

There is lots of information online. Also the pump and associated
parts frequently include a garbage disposal. Gtet a manual at your
friendly appliance parts store. Also I am sure manuals are available
from Kitchenaid.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob AZ wrote:
.

I owe it to my wallet to remove a few parts and take a closer look (If I
can't locate a diagram online). If I don't find bearings I can replace,
I'll replace the unit. For those that would be concerned, I'll turn the
power off at the breaker.

Thank you,
Bill- Hide quoted text -

Bill

There is lots of information online. Also the pump and associated
parts frequently include a garbage disposal. Gtet a manual at your
friendly appliance parts store. Also I am sure manuals are available
from Kitchenaid.

Bob AZ

Just for fun, I just took off the "lower spray arm" hoping to find a
bearing nearby (hint: it's not lefty-tighty, righty-lucy"). I just
realized the problem is not likely to be there since:

Problem sound only occurs when that arm is spinning (with water) and the
vibrations seems to be dominant in the left front (user's POV), but I
could be off by a few inches. Will do my homework...

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

?
"Bill" wrote in message
Bob AZ wrote:
.

[...]

That leads me away from the motor. Try running it with the arm removed and
see if it is still making noise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"Bill" wrote in message
Bob AZ wrote:
.

[...]

I should have added "bottom left front" (behind the lower access port).
I watched a video that made the motor replacement look like quite the
chore. They removed the dishwasher and turned it on it's back... Maybe
it's more fun than it looks? -lol

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill, this is somewhat off topic, but I'm thinking you must be single!

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old.
The motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across
the house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

To say on topic, I clean some of my woodworking tools in the
dishwasher ; )

Keep using it while watching CraigsList. I often see dishwashers for free.
Pick up one or two as spares for the day when yours finally croaks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Keep using it while watching CraigsList. I often see dishwashers for free.
Pick up one or two as spares for the day when yours finally croaks.

Then you'd have to store it somewhere, perhaps for years.
You only have to extrapolate that a few years to wind up with a collection
of spares
that will effectively crowd out all your scrap lumber [with which you were
going to
build something useful an d unique as soon as you get around to it].
Then where would you be?

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The
motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across the
house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

How about finding a good appliance repairman? Even a $250 repair bill
would be the better bargain if the unit is good for another eight years.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Not sure what you mean--but I think your earlier suggestion to replace
the darned thing seems like a reasonable suggestion, even a learned
one.

Give your local appliance parts house a call Bill. You will be surprised at
how much these guys know about fixing appliances. After all - they sell all
the parts for the ones that break.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2011 9:33 PM, Bill wrote:
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The
motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across the
house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

To say on topic, I clean some of my woodworking tools in the dishwasher ; )

Thanks,
Bill

As said else where in this thread check all of the belts, idler arms
etc. before giving up on the machine. If it turns out to definitely be
the motor I would replace the unit. After 8 years there are probably
spot that are nearly rusted through and a many other things that are
about to let go. If you are the one to tell your wife "lets go get a
new dish washer" you will look like a hero.

We had a washing machine that after replacing every part in it, I
decided to replace it, but since I had fixed it so many times my wife
insisted that I look at it. It turned out to be a $2 resistor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 20:44:25 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/5/2011 8:33 PM, Bill wrote:
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The
motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across the
house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

Hard to tell without seeing the general condition of the unit, but
replacement at that age is generally not a bad move considering the
cost, and probably increased efficiency, of a new one.

Another consideration should be whether or not the mfgr switched to a
Chiwanese factory between then and now, and if that change affects (or
completely does away with) the quality and longevity of the product.

I hadn't done enough research on my washer/dryer, so when I bought the
"Made by Maytag" Magic Chef units, the washer motor blew within the
first month and the dryer bearings were innately defective, an
engineering problem which was not correctable.

--
Doubt 'til thou canst doubt no more...doubt is thought and thought
is life. Systems which end doubt are devices for drugging thought.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/2011 7:52 AM, knuttle wrote:
On 2/5/2011 9:33 PM, Bill wrote:
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The
[...]

"belts and idler arms" ????

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

Some food for thought

Assume one hour per use, one use per day, 365 days per year, 8 years
of service to date.

365(8) = 2920 hours of service to date.

My guess is that the design B-10 life (point at which 90% of units
have not failed) is somewhere around 5,000 hours.
(It may be a lot less)

B-10 is a statistics term often used as a design life point, IOW,
the unit has consumed approximately 60% of it trouble free
service life.

As a recent homeowner, you have yet to learn about the slippery slope
of increasing repairs you face with household appliances as they age.

Clothes washers, clothes driers, and dish washers are the worst
followed by microwaves.

Stoves and refrigerators (Ice maker excluded) tend to have a much
longer service life.

Having to pull the appliance out of a cubby hole to gain access to the
innards, all the time making sure you don't plow a groove in the floor
covering gets your juices flowing, especially at 10:00PM on a work
night.

Then realizing that you don't have the special tool the repairman has
to get at a special screw in order to make the repair, frustrated you
ask yourself, "How the F**K do I get out of this mess?"

You have two choices, go down the road above or wisely avoid the trap.

DAMHIKT

There was a time in my life when the only things I would not try were
brain surgery and laying concrete, but I'm learning, the list is
longer these days.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

Not sure what you mean--but I think your earlier suggestion to
replace
the darned thing seems like a reasonable suggestion, even a learned
one.

Give your local appliance parts house a call Bill. You will be
surprised at how much these guys know about fixing appliances.
After all - they sell all the parts for the ones that break.

Experience says your probability of getting a helpful response
increases when
you physically go in and when you go in early on a weekday other than
Monday.
The first point explains itself. On the second, some folk are still
working off
the weekend on Monday and not overjoyed at renewing the grind. Also,
an
early visit means that troublesome customer contacts haven't already
built up
to the point of wearing out the employee's goodwill reservoir.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 5, 9:33*pm, Bill wrote:
*From newbe homeowner. *I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old.
The motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across
the house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

To say on topic, I clean some of my woodworking tools in the dishwasher ; )

Thanks,
Bill

I don't know if this rule of thumb is valuable to a news group
dedicated to repairing and fixing. The ROT is once the cost of
repair exceeds 50% of replacement value, it's time to replace.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 6, 10:16*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Some food for thought

Assume one hour per use, one use per day, 365 days per year, 8 years
of service to date.

365(8) = 2920 hours of service to date.

My guess is that the design B-10 life (point at which 90% of units
have not failed) is somewhere around 5,000 hours.

Failures, on the other hand, can be VERY easy to repair; the RCA S-100
module-swap televisions had 60% good modules returned for 'rebuild'
service, meaning that RESEATING THE CONNECTOR was all
that most repairs ever required. The noise in this case possibly
isn't
the (single moving part) motor/rotor assembly at all (it'd squeak, or
leak, or hum, but unless something's out of balance, not vibrate).
It could even be water hammer (i.e. in the pipes, not related to
the dishwasher at all).

Dishwashers, and Skilsaws (note WW content!), are 'durable goods'
and well worth repair.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.
Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER wrote:
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old.

Lew said:
{
Having to pull the appliance out of a cubby hole to gain access to the
innards, all the time making sure you don't plow a groove in the floor
covering gets your juices flowing, especially at 10:00PM on a work
night.

Then realizing that you don't have the special tool the repairman has
to get at a special screw in order to make the repair, frustrated you
ask yourself, "How the F**K do I get out of this mess?"

You have two choices, go down the road above or wisely avoid the trap.
}

--- My dad would have sided with Lew. I've got a 15 year old television
that I would not repair if it broke either. It seems to help me to
think of it like that than as a ($) opportunity lost...lol
Thank you for your help and support folks!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
GROVER wrote:
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old.

Lew said:
{
Having to pull the appliance out of a cubby hole to gain access to the
innards, all the time making sure you don't plow a groove in the floor
covering gets your juices flowing, especially at 10:00PM on a work
night.

Then realizing that you don't have the special tool the repairman has
to get at a special screw in order to make the repair, frustrated you
ask yourself, "How the F**K do I get out of this mess?"

You have two choices, go down the road above or wisely avoid the trap.
}

--- My dad would have sided with Lew. I've got a 15 year old television
that I would not repair if it broke either. It seems to help me to think
of it like that than as a ($) opportunity lost...lol
Thank you for your help and support folks!

Bill

But you still have not said what WW tools you put in the dishwasher!
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:

But you still have not said what WW tools you put in the dishwasher!

Obviously, most of the ones that won't seem to fit anywhere else! All
the space under the bed and dressers is already taken...

Seriously, since I started collecting old tools, I feel a little like a
"hoarder".

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Bill
wrote:

From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old.
The motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across
the house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

To say on topic, I clean some of my woodworking tools in the dishwasher ; )

Thanks,
Bill

It may not be the motor. Check for clogging in the water lines, and the
spray arms.
Posted to rec.woodworking

?
"Bill" wrote

I should have added "bottom left front" (behind the lower access port).
I watched a video that made the motor replacement look like quite the
chore. They removed the dishwasher and turned it on it's back... Maybe
it's more fun than it looks? -lol

Bill

You may find the pump and/or solenoid valve in that area. I think you need
more troubleshooting before taking the motor out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The
motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across the
house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

To say on topic, I clean some of my woodworking tools in the dishwasher
; )

Thanks,
Bill

I believe in repairing things if not too costly. Bought new a Whirlpool
washer in 1961 and a Whirlpool dryer in 1967. Did minor repairs on both and
in 1997 gave them both to a son. He is still using them. He has replaced the
pump and belt. Think how much it would have cost if we replaced those items
when ever they had a problem. Also the newer Chinese crap won't last half as
long. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"Bill" wrote

I should have added "bottom left front" (behind the lower access port).
I watched a video that made the motor replacement look like quite the
chore. They removed the dishwasher and turned it on it's back... Maybe
it's more fun than it looks? -lol

Bill

You may find the pump and/or solenoid valve in that area. I think you
need more troubleshooting before taking the motor out.

I believe in my unit that the pump and the main motor are sold as a
single module/assembly. Given the "whining" that occurs (not my
whining), I'm not sure there's much left to consider. Does the solenoid
valve do anything that could cause a lot of noise?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:

But you still have not said what WW tools you put in the dishwasher!

Obviously, most of the ones that won't seem to fit anywhere else! All the
space under the bed and dressers is already taken...

Seriously, since I started collecting old tools, I feel a little like a
"hoarder".

Bill

Oh, Jeez! Don't talk about hoarding! Wife's got me reading a book on
hoarding. She's got the idea that my valuable collections of books, tools,
cameras, model railroad stuff, and magazines is somehow hoarding. You're not
a Real Hoarder until stuff like a couch can't be used for its intended
purpose.

You can obviously still run the dishwasher if you can hear it whine. Say,
you haven't left a cordless tool running in there have you?

--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Posted to rec.woodworking

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

"Bill" wrote in message
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The
motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across the
house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

To say on topic, I clean some of my woodworking tools in the dishwasher
; )

Thanks,
Bill

I believe in repairing things if not too costly. Bought new a Whirlpool
washer in 1961 and a Whirlpool dryer in 1967. Did minor repairs on both
and in 1997 gave them both to a son. He is still using them. He has
replaced the pump and belt. Think how much it would have cost if we
replaced those items when ever they had a problem. Also the newer Chinese
crap won't last half as long. WW

If he bought it 8 years ago, it was already 'Chinese crap'. The newer
Chinese stuff is actually better.

--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Posted to rec.woodworking

?
"Bill" wrote
I believe in my unit that the pump and the main motor are sold as a single
module/assembly. Given the "whining" that occurs (not my whining), I'm
not sure there's much left to consider. Does the solenoid valve do
anything that could cause a lot of noise?

Bill

Properly operating, it is either open or closed with a little hum from the
magnet when held open. If the magnet it getting a bad signal, it can
vibrate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The
motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across the
house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and
replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

To say on topic, I clean some of my woodworking tools in the dishwasher
; )

Thanks,
Bill

I have actually worked on dishwashers and with a similar problem. It could
also be the water pump making that noise, it basically run when the motor
runs.

A dish washer is not terribly hard to work on if you pull it out and tip it
over so you can get to the bottom where the motor is. I replace our first
dishwasher water pump/and motor with it setting in place under the counter.
Silly me.

My sister bought a KitchenAid and it did not last as long as yours, 15 years
ago. My wife and I bought a KitchenAid about 5 years ago and returned it to
Sears shortly after purchase, it was a $1000+ unit and it did not clean.

Prior to getting the Kitchen Aid we had a Lady Kenmore, manufactured by
Whirlpool. It still ran great after 14 years however the baskets were
beginning to rust and stain the dishes. Both baskets replacement cost was
around $400 and we decided to put that into a new unit.

After returning the KitchenAid we went back to the Kenmore Elite built by
Whirlpool. We are the type of people that don't wash the dishes before
putting them into the dishwasher. We remove bones and seeds.

We just bought a new home and traded the unused GE dishwasher for a
Whirlpool Gold series. We are very pleased with the unit and expect at
least 14 years of use. I still prefer the Kenmore version of the Whirlpool,
it has larger utensil baskets. Sears would not take a trade in.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 20:05:38 -0500, Bill wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

But you still have not said what WW tools you put in the dishwasher!

Obviously, most of the ones that won't seem to fit anywhere else! All
the space under the bed and dressers is already taken...

Seriously, since I started collecting old tools, I feel a little like a
"hoarder".

Tell me about it. I'm more of a tool collector than a woodworker.

--
If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2011 8:29 AM, Leon wrote:

We just bought a new home and traded the unused GE dishwasher for a
Whirlpool Gold series. We are very pleased with the unit and expect at
least 14 years of use. I still prefer the Kenmore version of the Whirlpool,
it has larger utensil baskets. Sears would not take a trade in.

Thank you for your detailed review. This will help me when I look at
them (Sears has a 15% off sale Sunday evening...).

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2011 9:25 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 20:05:38 -0500, wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

But you still have not said what WW tools you put in the dishwasher!

Obviously, most of the ones that won't seem to fit anywhere else! All
the space under the bed and dressers is already taken...

Seriously, since I started collecting old tools, I feel a little like a
"hoarder".

Tell me about it. I'm more of a tool collector than a woodworker.

What is your current or next project?

Bill

--
If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up
around them will deprive the people of all property until
their children wake up homeless on the continent their
Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions
are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies...
The issuing power should be taken from the banks and
restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"knuttle" wrote in message
On 2/5/2011 9:33 PM, Bill wrote:
From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The
[...]

Yes, it may not be the motor. I had a Maytag many years ago start making
noise, it got louder and louder over several months until it sounded like it
was grinding gravel. A replacement pump solved the problem. The pump
bearings had leaked detergent into the internal parts and corroded the balls
and raceway. It went silent after the replacement until other problems
started a few years later.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:

But you still have not said what WW tools you put in the dishwasher!

Obviously, most of the ones that won't seem to fit anywhere else! All
the space under the bed and dressers is already taken...

Seriously, since I started collecting old tools, I feel a little like a
"hoarder".

Tell me about it. I'm more of a tool collector than a woodworker.

What is your current or next project?

Outside:
Current- I need to finish the metal patio cover for the back yard and
Next- build another storage shed.

Future furniture- I have the lumber, foam, batting, thread, fabrics,
webbing, and webbing clips for a new couch, but no freakin' _shop_
space in which to do it. (hence, the shed first)