Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stripped Car Battery connection

Car battery with stripped threads in female connection for bolt entry.

It's nearly new and cost a small fortune; is there any way to save this
battery?

Checked at Lowes, Canadian Tire and NAPA; the only advice anyone had was to
put a larger bolt on and "force" it to thread into the lead. That doesn't
sound very reasonable to me.

For the time being I've slipped some solder around the threads to take up
space and it let the bolt tighten into the battery firmly, but since solder
has no "memory" (will squash and not apply any pressure eventually) I don't
think it's a very reliable "fix".

Any better suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 5:45�pm, "news.eternal-september.org"
wrote:
Car battery with stripped threads in female connection for bolt entry.

It's nearly new and cost a small fortune; is there any way to save this
battery?

Checked at Lowes, Canadian Tire and NAPA; the only advice anyone had was to
put a larger bolt on and "force" it to thread into the lead. �That doesn't
sound very reasonable to me.

For the time being I've slipped some solder around the threads to take up
space and it let the bolt tighten into the battery firmly, but since solder
has no "memory" (will squash and not apply any pressure eventually) I don't
think it's a very reliable "fix".

Any better suggestions?

did you try running a tap thru whats left of the threads?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:45:33 -0500, news.eternal-september.org wrote:

Car battery with stripped threads in female connection for bolt entry.

Is that car also your home?

take it to rec.autos.tech
Posted to alt.home.repair

news.eternal-september.org wrote the following:

Car battery with stripped threads in female connection for bolt entry.

It's nearly new and cost a small fortune; is there any way to save
this battery?

Checked at Lowes, Canadian Tire and NAPA; the only advice anyone had
was to put a larger bolt on and "force" it to thread into the lead.
That doesn't sound very reasonable to me.

For the time being I've slipped some solder around the threads to take
up space and it let the bolt tighten into the battery firmly, but
since solder has no "memory" (will squash and not apply any pressure
eventually) I don't think it's a very reliable "fix".

Any better suggestions?

Use a thread insert and a smaller bolt.
http://www.timesert.com/

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 4:45*pm, "news.eternal-september.org"
wrote:
Car battery with stripped threads in female connection for bolt entry.

It's nearly new and cost a small fortune; is there any way to save this
battery?

Checked at Lowes, Canadian Tire and NAPA; the only advice anyone had was to
put a larger bolt on and "force" it to thread into the lead. *That doesn't
sound very reasonable to me.

For the time being I've slipped some solder around the threads to take up
space and it let the bolt tighten into the battery firmly, but since solder
has no "memory" (will squash and not apply any pressure eventually) I don't
think it's a very reliable "fix".

Any better suggestions?

Andy comments

Have you considered a helicoil insert, of the type that is
used for stripped spark plug threads ? I don't know if this is
a good idea or not, since I have never used one for this purpose,
but it may be reasonable....

Posted to alt.home.repair

news.eternal-september.org wrote:

Car battery with stripped threads in female connection for bolt entry.

It's nearly new and cost a small fortune; is there any way to save this
battery?

Checked at Lowes, Canadian Tire and NAPA; the only advice anyone had was
to put a larger bolt on and "force" it to thread into the lead. That
doesn't sound very reasonable to me.

For the time being I've slipped some solder around the threads to take
up space and it let the bolt tighten into the battery firmly, but since
solder has no "memory" (will squash and not apply any pressure
eventually) I don't think it's a very reliable "fix".

Any better suggestions?

Heli-Coil? Not sure if that's a really good idea or not, but it was the
best I could come up with on short notice.

You could try to melt some lead into the hole and retap, but that
sounds... um... a little dangerous.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

news.eternal-september.org wrote:

Car battery with stripped threads in female connection for bolt entry.

It's nearly new and cost a small fortune; is there any way to save this
battery?

Checked at Lowes, Canadian Tire and NAPA; the only advice anyone had was
to put a larger bolt on and "force" it to thread into the lead. That
doesn't sound very reasonable to me.

For the time being I've slipped some solder around the threads to take
up space and it let the bolt tighten into the battery firmly, but since
solder has no "memory" (will squash and not apply any pressure
eventually) I don't think it's a very reliable "fix".

Any better suggestions?

Any old time roofing supply or gutter installers near you? Some skinny
strips of lead sheet, beaten thin, hung in the hole before you insert
the bolt, may work. Like putting a toothpick in a wallowed-out screw
hole in wood. Probably want a bolt with a taper on the end. The strips
and the hole need to be shiny when you do this, of course.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few years ago. As I recall, I
cut the head off of a bolt and forced it into the hole, and poured
melted lead into the hole so it ran into any gaps-- I think from fishing
sinkers, as was mentioned, I put the cable on with nut that I tightened
finger tight,then held the end of the bolt with vise grips while I
tightened the nut the rest of the way.It seemed to work ok. That is the
reason I like batteries that have both side and top posts for GM
vehicles-- if something like this happens to the side terminal, you can
adapt to the top one, assuming you have room on top. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:45:33 -0500, "news.eternal-september.org"
wrote Re Stripped Car Battery connection:

Any better suggestions?

Maybe something like this?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pipe-rethre...nserts/=5fcmk3

Posted to alt.home.repair

news.eternal-september.org wrote:
Car battery with stripped threads in female connection for bolt entry.

It's nearly new and cost a small fortune; is there any way to save
this battery?

Checked at Lowes, Canadian Tire and NAPA; the only advice anyone had
was to put a larger bolt on and "force" it to thread into the lead. That
doesn't sound very reasonable to me.

For the time being I've slipped some solder around the threads to
take up space and it let the bolt tighten into the battery firmly,
but since solder has no "memory" (will squash and not apply any
pressure eventually) I don't think it's a very reliable "fix".

Any better suggestions?

1. Wide, but short, lag bolt? Once secured, slather it with anti-corrosion
material (or axle grease).

2. Got any battery salvage or rebuilding shops in your town? They might have
something off the shelf.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 8:31�am, "HeyBub" wrote:
news.eternal-september.org wrote:
Car battery with stripped threads in female connection for bolt entry.

It's nearly new and cost a small fortune; is there any way to save
this battery?

Checked at Lowes, Canadian Tire and NAPA; the only advice anyone had
was to put a larger bolt on and "force" it to thread into the lead. That
doesn't sound very reasonable to me.

For the time being I've slipped some solder around the threads to
take up space and it let the bolt tighten into the battery firmly,
but since solder has no "memory" (will squash and not apply any
pressure eventually) I don't think it's a very reliable "fix".

Any better suggestions?

1. Wide, but short, lag bolt? Once secured, slather it with anti-corrosion
material (or axle grease).

2. Got any battery salvage or rebuilding shops in your town? They might have
something off the shelf.- Hide quoted text -

Lead is soft remove battery, use small screwdriver and perhaps hammer
if needed to rough up inside of threads a bit, then retap carefully..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Car battery with stripped threads in female connection for bolt entry.

Use a lag bolt.

Hank

Good idea Hank: But not too deep a lag bolt cos it might break into
the interior of the battery. Or get a suitable diameter size lag bolt
but grind off the pointy end so as to make it less deep.
Another idea is to wrap some wire, copper or stainless steel, around
the bolt and see if that will secure it.
Also a similar but very slightly larger bolt might be used to cut new
and slightly deeper threads into the lead insert. e.g try a non metric
in a metric thread, or vice versa. Inspect the nuts and bolts junk
box.
Number of other ideas would include filling in the old threaded hole
with melted lead (from old balance weights one is always picking up
around tyre changing locations! Don't you? We do; might always come in
handy for something!!!!!) Then carefully drilling and tap threading
anew.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

[...]

he could always use a tap and cut new threads for a larger bolt.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks guys

28mm connection - hose connection asalcedo UK diy 0 September 26th 08 07:14 PM
Side battery connection bolts too long? terry Home Repair 10 June 21st 07 06:48 PM
Stripped doors kev007 UK diy 1 March 4th 07 05:26 PM
Canon ZR200 camcorder repair help (battery connection) Captain Mooboy Electronics Repair 2 June 12th 05 01:14 AM
trailer battery connection Brian Metalworking 5 September 8th 03 01:58 AM