Mark L.

Default Drum sander opinions

Greetings All,
I am looking to buy either the Delta 31-255X or the Powermax 16-32
Plus unit. Both are available at Amazon, $900(US) for the Delta and
$1000 for the Performax (not including a $100 rebate). I think the Delta
has a rebate program going (again) for the X5 line of $100 for a single
machine, dropping the Delta price to $800. Reading the reviews at Amazon
doesn't help much, both machines have people who hate and love their
respective machines. Do any of you out there in Wreckland have any
opinions? Many TIA, Mark

Rick Samuel

How does one do a Google search within the NG?

Upscale

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
How does one do a Google search within the NG?

Click on groups. Type in rec.woodworking. enter In the box just left to
"search this group" type in your search parameters. enter

Tyke

Go to www.google.com and click on "Groups" then select the rec.woodoworking
and type in a search string or just go directly to
http://groups.google.com/.

Opinions of drum sanders has been asked many times.

Dave Paine.
"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
How does one do a Google search within the NG?

dadiOH

Mark L. wrote:
Greetings All,
I am looking to buy either the Delta 31-255X or the Powermax 16-32
Plus unit. Both are available at Amazon, $900(US) for the Delta and
$1000 for the Performax (not including a $100 rebate). I think the
Delta has a rebate program going (again) for the X5 line of $100 for
a single machine, dropping the Delta price to $800. Reading the
reviews at Amazon doesn't help much, both machines have people who
hate and love their respective machines. Do any of you out there in
Wreckland have any opinions? Many TIA, Mark

Fact #1 - with either, you will need to extend the table if you ever
intend to sand boards of any length.

Fact #2 - Performax table is fixed, head goes up and down

Fact #3 - Delta table goes up and down, head is fixed.

Question - which do you think is easier to fit with table extensions?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 07:37:00 -0500, the blithe spirit "Rick Samuel"
clearly indicated:

How does one do a Google search within the NG?

Goto http://www.google.com/
Select "Groups"
Select "Advanced Group Search"
Put "rec.woodworking" in the group field.
Select any other limiters you want in the rest of the fields.

Voilį!

..-.
Better Living Through Denial
---
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Frank Boettcher

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:30:42 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Mark L. wrote:
Greetings All,
I am looking to buy either the Delta 31-255X or the Powermax 16-32
Plus unit. Both are available at Amazon, $900(US) for the Delta and
$1000 for the Performax (not including a $100 rebate). I think the
Delta has a rebate program going (again) for the X5 line of $100 for
a single machine, dropping the Delta price to $800. Reading the
reviews at Amazon doesn't help much, both machines have people who
hate and love their respective machines. Do any of you out there in
Wreckland have any opinions? Many TIA, Mark

Fact #1 - with either, you will need to extend the table if you ever
intend to sand boards of any length.

Fact #2 - Performax table is fixed, head goes up and down

Fact #3 - Delta table goes up and down, head is fixed.

Question - which do you think is easier to fit with table extensions?

Fact#4 Delta table which raises and lowers is heavy cast iron
supported by four posts. drum head is a fixed welded steel assembly.

Fact#5 Performax table is sheet metal and the drum head is in a cast
aluminum slide mechanism.

Question - which do you think will deflect the most and which do you
think will provide the closest thickness tolerance near to far side of
the board.

I already know the answer.

Frank
David

wrote:

Mark L. wrote:

[...]

Hey Frank, I've heard reports that the next larger Performax is more
ridgid that the 16-22. Any comments?

Dave
Frank Boettcher

wrote:

Mark L. wrote:

[...]

You mean than the 16-32?

No comment on the larger unit. I'm not familiar with it. I witnessed
deflection tests comparing the 16-32 Performax and the 18-36 Delta at
introduction of the Delta unit. Delta won with inside edge to outside
edge thickness differential much lower than Performax. And the Delta
unit held that tolerance all through the thickness adjustment and
regardless of the width of the board, while the Performax unit had to
be tweaked as you changed the width of the board.

This was a few years ago and I can't comment on any improvements that
might have been made to Performax.

Frank

dadiOH

wrote:

Mark L. wrote:
[...]

I have no problem keeping the edges of 16" panels the same thickness.
And I can run any length panel too since I have loooooong in/out feed
tables.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

David

wrote:

Mark L. wrote:

[...]

oops, yeah I meant 16-32! I'd read somewhere that the larger performax
units were beefier and therefore maintained parallelism better.

Dave
Scott Lurndal

"Mark L." writes:
Greetings All,
I am looking to buy either the Delta 31-255X or the Powermax 16-32
Plus unit. Both are available at Amazon, $900(US) for the Delta and
$1000 for the Performax (not including a $100 rebate). I think the Delta

You can get the 22-44 without a stand for about $1000 (or you could 12
months ago, when I got mine - I had no floorspace, but available bench
space).

They're a bit tricky to get exactly parallel to the table, but once set,
they work pretty good.

has a rebate program going (again) for the X5 line of $100 for a single
machine, dropping the Delta price to $800. Reading the reviews at Amazon
doesn't help much, both machines have people who hate and love their
respective machines. Do any of you out there in Wreckland have any
opinions? Many TIA, Mark

Luigi Zanasi

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 07:48:03 -0700, Larry Jaques
scribbled:

Voilį!

That's "voilą", with a grave accent! The acute accent is only used on
"e" in French. Sheesh, what they teach kids these days.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html

Drum Sander - Small Gloat Rick Woodworking 6 February 20th 05 02:18 PM
Making a drum sander, problem truing the drum Larry Bud Woodworking 13 February 3rd 05 04:41 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Drum sander opinions... j.duprie Woodworking 6 January 29th 04 03:38 AM
General Int'l 25" double drum sander #15-250 -- opinions? Abe Woodworking 11 October 26th 03 03:54 PM