Chris

Default Decent exterior paint?

Any comments on a decent exterior house paint?

Was at the local HD and they recommended the Bear paint. Been there done
that. Used the Bear brand on one wall in a bathroom. More or less fell off
(yes it was prepped well). Glidden went on nice. I think the Bear name is
all marketing.

So on the exterior what is good these days? Not the whole house as I have
vinyl siding. Just a couple of doors and jams.

Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Duane Bozarth

Chris wrote:

Any comments on a decent exterior house paint?

Was at the local HD and they recommended the Bear paint.

That would be Behr...

...Been there done
that. Used the Bear brand on one wall in a bathroom. More or less fell off
(yes it was prepped well). Glidden went on nice. I think the Bear name is
all marketing.

So on the exterior what is good these days? Not the whole house as I have
vinyl siding. Just a couple of doors and jams.

Did the whole barn w/ Behr oil-base undercoat and high-gloss latex
topcoat. Sprayed well, held well through KS winter and summer w/ no
problems.

I recommend it.
Chris

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Chris wrote:

Any comments on a decent exterior house paint?

Was at the local HD and they recommended the Bear paint.

That would be Behr...

...Been there done
that. Used the Bear brand on one wall in a bathroom. More or less fell
off
(yes it was prepped well). Glidden went on nice. I think the Bear name
is
all marketing.

So on the exterior what is good these days? Not the whole house as I
have
vinyl siding. Just a couple of doors and jams.

Did the whole barn w/ Behr oil-base undercoat and high-gloss latex
topcoat. Sprayed well, held well through KS winter and summer w/ no
problems.

I recommend it.

OK Behr, it is. But it was a bear to keep on the wall.?? Trying to save
face.

Wonder how it would compare if brushed..

The interior stuff was pretty think. Did you have to thin to spray it?

Duane Bozarth

Chris wrote:

[...]

Oil primer, no. Latex top coat just a little.

Don't think there would be any difference one way or the other. The
trim was mostly brushed, and we brushed in the sprayed to get good
coverage as it was old wood toungue and groove siding.

It was, however, the premium paint, not one of the low end ones.
TP

Chris wrote:

[...]

I painted my house with Glidden Endurance. Latex satin finish.
Got very good coverage per can, of course it depends on what you
covering…. I have used Behr in the past. I feel Glidden has
better performance.
TP

Chris

Chris wrote:

[...]

From what I understood there was not more enamel paint. I only have the
door jams so the enamels would be nice if still available. I have heard
that the latexes are just that good that they pretty much put the enamels on
the back burner.

Chris

Roger amd Missy Behnke

From what I understood there was not more enamel paint. I only have the
door jams so the enamels would be nice if still available. I have heard
that the latexes are just that good that they pretty much put the enamels
on the back burner.

Chris

There are plenty of enamels around, both acrylic and oil base. Some of the
waterborne acrylics are impressive.

I use Graham paint most of the time. When we had my house built 5 years
ago we used Graham Ceramic flat on the walls and Ceramic satin on the trim.
Five years later it all looks good. Cleans well and stands up to some
abuse. We have 4 kids.

For the record I do not work for Graham or do I sell their products.

Roger

no(SPAM)vasys

Chris wrote:

From what I understood there was not more enamel paint. I only have the
door jams so the enamels would be nice if still available. I have heard
that the latexes are just that good that they pretty much put the enamels on
the back burner.

Chris

Our local Home Depot and Sherwin Williams has stopped carrying "solvent"
based enamels. I was able to get an oil based enamel at a Benjamin
Moore dealer. Great one coat coverage (chocolate brown over a white
primer) and the price was half of what Sherwin Williams used to charge.
I can't say how it holds up as it was applied about three weeks ago.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Fly-by-Night CC

In article , "Chris"
wrote:

Was at the local HD and they recommended the Bear paint. Been there done
that. Used the Bear brand on one wall in a bathroom. More or less fell off
(yes it was prepped well). Glidden went on nice. I think the Bear name is
all marketing.

So on the exterior what is good these days? Not the whole house as I have
vinyl siding. Just a couple of doors and jams.

I read a Consumer Reports recently (though I think the report was about
a year old) on exterior paints. They rated the Behr as top, but like you
I've not been that impressed with it.

I've had good success with Ace branded paint. The porch trim and columns
I painted 6 years ago look very good with no areas of peeling or
failure. I prepped very well, applied Ace alkyd primer and then two
coats of Ace exterior white.

My home is c.1920, painted many times and thus all the trim needs to be
stripped back to practically bare wood due to excess paint build up.
Every year I tackle specific trim features using the same two Ace
products and all still look good. The porch area just happens to be the
oldest area that I've reworked.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05

George E. Cawthon

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Chris wrote:

Any comments on a decent exterior house paint?

Was at the local HD and they recommended the Bear paint.

That would be Behr...

...Been there done
that. Used the Bear brand on one wall in a bathroom. More or less fell off
(yes it was prepped well). Glidden went on nice. I think the Bear name is
all marketing.

So on the exterior what is good these days? Not the whole house as I have
vinyl siding. Just a couple of doors and jams.

Did the whole barn w/ Behr oil-base undercoat and high-gloss latex
topcoat. Sprayed well, held well through KS winter and summer w/ no
problems.

I recommend it.

Yeah but, he said Bear paint. Probably made in a
low technology country that spelled English just
by the sound.
Leon

"Chris" wrote in message
Any comments on a decent exterior house paint?

Was at the local HD and they recommended the Bear paint. Been there done
that. Used the Bear brand on one wall in a bathroom. More or less fell
off
(yes it was prepped well). Glidden went on nice. I think the Bear name is
all marketing.

So on the exterior what is good these days? Not the whole house as I have
vinyl siding. Just a couple of doors and jams.

OK,, I have painted several houses in the last 6 or 7 years. Sears,
"LIFETIME" Weatherbeater. Also covers very well and goes on easy.

No

behr is BORG crap. Its the worst of the worst. Its their store brand if you
didn't know that.

Outside - I have had great results with Benjamin Moore and the top of the
line Pittsburgh Paints (Manor Hall IIRC). The cheap Pittsburgh paint is
better than Behr but still not the best.

I think sherwin williams is crap too although others may recomend it. I had
a bad experience with it. Maybe I had a bad batch.

"Chris" wrote in message
Any comments on a decent exterior house paint?

Was at the local HD and they recommended the Bear paint. Been there done
that. Used the Bear brand on one wall in a bathroom. More or less fell
off
(yes it was prepped well). Glidden went on nice. I think the Bear name is
all marketing.

So on the exterior what is good these days? Not the whole house as I have
vinyl siding. Just a couple of doors and jams.

Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Duane Bozarth

No wrote:

behr is BORG crap. Its the worst of the worst. Its their store brand if you
didn't know that.

Behr is HD's featured brand, true. That it is a "store brand" is not.
Behr Paint has been around for a long time before there was either an
orange or even blue box store. It was primarily a West Coast brand as
it is (or at least was initially) a CA-based company iirc. I'm thinking
it was a post WWII startup, maybe?

Let's see....aha! yes...you might look at

http://www.behr.com/behrx/about/?globalnav=about

before you rant too much more...

In terms of carried solids and other measures, Behr's quality is right
in line w/ any of the other major manufacturers at the same or similar
price points. In paint, it is generally true that one gets what one
pays for.

As has been noted far too many times to repeat, preparation is more
important than specific paint brands and the quality of the paint is
dependent on the price point of the specific paint in every line.

I've found Glidden to also be good value...
Leon

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

In terms of carried solids and other measures, Behr's quality is right
in line w/ any of the other major manufacturers at the same or similar
price points.

You could just about say the same when comparing Mecredes to Ford or
Chevrolet. Yes there are some Chevrolets and Fords that are more expensive
than some Mercedes products. They all have about the same materials. Whats
missing may be quality control or something important in the actual
manufacturing process. Personally, I have found Behr to be inferrior to any
brand paint when it comes to applying the product and the product staying
put. In the last 8 years my friend and I have painted the exterior and
interiors of 8 or 9 homes. When the customer supplied the Behr paint whe
had the most problems. We absolutely have had the best luck with the
Sears/"Sherwin Williams produced" TOP OF THE LINE paints. A pleasure to
work with and no recalls from customers.

Duane Bozarth

Leon wrote:

[...]

That doesn't match my experience. I have had equal or better results
and far easier application of the "top of the line" Behr as compared to
S-W. The S-W has been by far the more difficult to apply w/ no
discernible difference in performance at something like 20% higher
purchase price. That's what I've applied--the S-W that was put on for
Dad has been very poor performing but I attribute at least most of that
to poor prep as opposed to the paint itself. I started out w/ the same
product, but the difficulty in brushing and tendency to set excessively
fast in the dry conditions made me change.

The Sears here is a catalog store and has very poor selection/service so
haven't used any Sears-branded paints for quite some time. In TN where
there were stores better set up, did have good success, but the weather
there isn't nearly as hard on exterior surfaces as it is here. I'd
expect Sears to do pretty well, though, and if it were as simple to get
product, I'd probably have tried some.
Leon

[...]

I am sure climate has a lot to do with how a particular brand holds up. The
Sears Best Weatherbeater with the Life Time warranty has polyurethane added
and requires no prep. IIRC the directions say to simply paint over old
paint, bare wood, and dirt. For me, it has become my ideal paint.

Duane Bozarth

Leon wrote:

I am sure climate has a lot to do with how a particular brand holds up. The
Sears Best Weatherbeater with the Life Time warranty has polyurethane added
and requires no prep. IIRC the directions say to simply paint over old
paint, bare wood, and dirt. For me, it has become my ideal paint.

I have no clue how one could expect anything to stay on over an
unsound substrate.

Looking for decent 115 piece drill bit set. Chris Metalworking 14 August 13th 05 03:15 AM
Decent woodworking shop in NJ Andy Jeffries Woodworking 5 January 11th 05 12:26 AM
Decent angle grinders... Alan UK diy 6 August 12th 04 07:02 PM
Decent cable/stud detector? Alan UK diy 2 July 22nd 03 10:44 PM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM