Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Nice buy on Torque Screwdriver

I just bought an old stock/new Torque Screwdriver for $33 from an eBay
Surplus Dealer. A Sturtevant Richmont CAL 36/4. See:

http://www.srtorque.com/error-proofi...rs/cal-series/

It is basically new, just been on a shelf somewhere collecting dust.
Wanted it for mounting scopes on springer air guns which are notorious
for moving them around during use. I'm no stranger to tightening small
screws but didn't want to risk crushing the scopes either. For some
discussion see:

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/...&topic=82223.0

I used this model at work for many years for torquing down RF shields
in radios. It worked flawlessly, never had any trouble with it. Really
pleased to come across this buy

Torquing the shields in a uniform manner was recommended to minimize
microphonics in certain models. The RF shields covered the
synthesizer/modulation area. The old Motorola Mostar/Traxar line had
several problem areas...

Found some charts and tips on recommended torque values:

http://www.federalscrewproducts.com/torque-chart.htm

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1..._for_Gunsmiths

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/0...pecifications/

I never had any trouble with mounting scopes in the past but I suspect
the older ones had heavier tubes than what is being turned out today. I
wasn't mounting them on guns well known for beating up scopes either...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote in
news
I just bought an old stock/new Torque Screwdriver for $33 from an eBay
Surplus Dealer. A Sturtevant Richmont CAL 36/4. See:

http://www.srtorque.com/error-proofi...ewdrivers-and-

ki
ts/adjustable-torque-screwdrivers/cal-series/

snip

I've got a growing collection of metric calibrated Tonichi brand torque
drivers for use on European target pistols. For things like locking
barrels in place, I want to make sure I'm using as much force as
possible, but without risking stripping the threads out of a $2000
pistol.

They mostly use allen socket head screws of one sort of another,
including lots of setscrews. Here's a good chart for those sorts of
fasteners:

http://www.holo-krome.com/pdf/torquedatachart.pdf

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 15:20:32 GMT
Doug White wrote:

snip
I've got a growing collection of metric calibrated Tonichi brand torque
drivers for use on European target pistols. For things like locking
barrels in place, I want to make sure I'm using as much force as
possible, but without risking stripping the threads out of a $2000
pistol.

Nice, dedicated drivers would be really handy if you were doing this on
a regular basis. Instructions for the CAL 36/4 (located at their
website) recommended setting it back to 0 when not being used for a
period of time. Never saw the instruction sheet for the one I had at
work. It was probably set around 15 inch pounds all the time I had it.
Consistency across all the screws, kinda like head bolts was more
important than the torque value I think...

They mostly use allen socket head screws of one sort of another,
including lots of setscrews. Here's a good chart for those sorts of
fasteners:

http://www.holo-krome.com/pdf/torquedatachart.pdf

Nice chart, saved it. Thanks!

I'll have to study the Federal fastener chart I linked to a bit better.
It had different materials listed but I didn't understand if that was
for the screw or the material it was going into...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 12:09:01 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

http://www.federalscrewproducts.com/torque-chart.htm

snip
I'll have to study the Federal fastener chart I linked to a bit better.
It had different materials listed but I didn't understand if that was
for the screw or the material it was going into...

It looks to be for the screw/fastener material. I see columns for Grade
2, 5, and 8 that I didn't notice at first...

I'll try to use info from the installation instructions if provided
for scope mounting. Maybe compare it to the generic charts as a double
check and use some common sense

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 12:31:39 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
A lot of guys have given up on purely friction mounting going to adjusting
against the bell or the adjustment "tower?" for the rings and a locking pin
that engages the receiver for the bases if they aren't using a pacatinny
rail. Personally I just gave up on springers and have gone all PCP for my
shooting pleasure. Pretty hard to beat 80-100 shot on a fill (at 20FPE)
with my .177 and 25-50 shots at 60FPE in .25.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the pin in the mount and I've seen some of what
they are doing with strategically positioning the scope body. I've got
one dovetail adapter to install with a Picatinny on top. Won't know if
there is a pin hole or not till a remove the existing rear site. Either
going to drill a shallow hole or maybe just file a shallow groove/slot
for it if there isn't one. That gun isn't all that expensive... The
other one should come with a Picatinny/Weaver rail and the scope will
have Weaver mounts.

I'm looking at PCP guns but I'm not there yet. Some pretty amazing
stuff out there. I've been perusing some of the UK Magazines, stuff
you just don't see/hear much in the States...

Glad I bought my Diana 48 in .177 many years ago when I was still
working. They haven't gotten any cheaper

snip
Looks like a nice score on that torque driver. I always envy somebody
else's great luck a little bit.

It is way more tool than I need but I got it for less than the cheapo
versions I was seriously considering. Sometimes you get lucky...

When I still shot springers I really liked the Hammer's Magnum scopes.
Never really had any slip issues, but then both of my springers have
picatiny rails.

I'm sticking with inexpensive scopes just now to see how it goes. If
the guns trash them but I liked how they were working I'll get better
ones. I'm no stranger to good scopes, have some nice Leupold, Burris,
Weaver, Herters... on big bang guns. They haven't gotten any cheaper
either ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-11-25, Leon Fisk wrote:
I just bought an old stock/new Torque Screwdriver for $33 from an eBay
Surplus Dealer. A Sturtevant Richmont CAL 36/4. See:

http://www.srtorque.com/error-proofi...rs/cal-series/

An interesting looking tool. I've got some of the Utica torque
limiting screwdrivers -- which may actually be the ones which they write
about which are sensitive to down force changing the calibration.

However, I tend to not apply significant down force, so no
problem for me, I think.

But one intesting thing in the "Cautions: " section of the manual
I find intersting:

· Never exceed the rated capacity of the tool.

I thought that the basic principle of a torque limiting
screwdriver was that it made it impossible to exceed the capacity of the
screwdriver (or even just the set torque).

Anyway -- congratulations on a lucky purchase.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail