Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe Chuck 3 jaw with L 00 mounting

Anyone have an idea for a source (cheap and most likely Chinese or
Taiwanese) for a 6" 3 jaw Chuck? Must have the L 00 mounting system for a
Clausing lathe

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ng-623792-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://brassandtool.com/

New England Brass and Tool -
A good Bison Plain back chuck - and a Type L-00 special back..
Ask them for help and matching. They are nice people.

Martin

On 11/25/2015 10:18 PM, Rhollie wrote:
Anyone have an idea for a source (cheap and most likely Chinese or
Taiwanese) for a 6" 3 jaw Chuck? Must have the L 00 mounting system for a
Clausing lathe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 04:18:02 +0000, Rhollie
wrote:

Anyone have an idea for a source (cheap and most likely Chinese or
Taiwanese) for a 6" 3 jaw Chuck? Must have the L 00 mounting system for a
Clausing lathe

Give this guy a call.

http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Machines-from-MarMachine

He usually has a couple kicking round.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-11-26, Rhollie wrote:
Anyone have an idea for a source (cheap and most likely Chinese or
Taiwanese) for a 6" 3 jaw Chuck? Must have the L 00 mounting system for a
Clausing lathe

Well ... I'm using a 6-1/4" one by Bison on my Clausing. I
bought it from New England Brass and Tool, FWIW, but there are other
sources too. The chuck is one item, the backplate is the other, and you
fit them to each other

Get the one with two-piece jaws while you are about it. You can
then use soft jaws for special problem jobs.

It is not that cheap, and FWIW it is made in Poland, but I
consider it to be very good.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/25/2015 11:18 PM, Rhollie wrote:
Anyone have an idea for a source (cheap and most likely Chinese or
Taiwanese) for a 6" 3 jaw Chuck? Must have the L 00 mounting system for a
Clausing lathe

"Cheap" is relative - just how much are you willing to spend?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-11-26, Rhollie
wrote:
Anyone have an idea for a source (cheap and most likely Chinese or
Taiwanese) for a 6" 3 jaw Chuck? Must have the L 00 mounting system
for a
Clausing lathe

Well ... I'm using a 6-1/4" one by Bison on my Clausing. I
bought it from New England Brass and Tool, FWIW, but there are other
sources too. The chuck is one item, the backplate is the other, and
you
fit them to each other

Get the one with two-piece jaws while you are about it. You can
then use soft jaws for special problem jobs.

It is not that cheap, and FWIW it is made in Poland, but I
consider it to be very good.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I have a 5" 3-jaw Bison Set-Tru that rarely needs readjustment.
http://brassandtool.com/Chucks-Lathe.html

http://grizzly.com/search?q=(lathe+O...al+C hucks%22)

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:n38hs4$osh$1
@dont-email.me:

I have a 5" 3-jaw Bison Set-Tru that rarely needs readjustment.

Like other tool companies that eventually "get recognized", Bison products
aren't as inexpensive compared to others as they used to be. They're made
in Poland, yes, but to pretty high standards.

They are very good mid-range tools. I have an 8" three-jaw, and a little
3" six-jaw quick-action. They're both really good-quality pieces.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 27 Nov 2015 02:09:37 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2015-11-26, Rhollie wrote:
Anyone have an idea for a source (cheap and most likely Chinese or
Taiwanese) for a 6" 3 jaw Chuck? Must have the L 00 mounting system for a
Clausing lathe

Well ... I'm using a 6-1/4" one by Bison on my Clausing. I
bought it from New England Brass and Tool, FWIW, but there are other
sources too. The chuck is one item, the backplate is the other, and you
fit them to each other

Get the one with two-piece jaws while you are about it. You can
then use soft jaws for special problem jobs.

It is not that cheap, and FWIW it is made in Poland, but I
consider it to be very good.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Bison chucks are very very good chucks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-11-26, Rhollie
wrote:
Anyone have an idea for a source (cheap and most likely Chinese or
Taiwanese) for a 6" 3 jaw Chuck? Must have the L 00 mounting system for
Clausing lathe

Well ... I'm using a 6-1/4" one by Bison on my Clausing. I
bought it from New England Brass and Tool, FWIW, but there are other
sources too. The chuck is one item, the backplate is the other, and you
fit them to each other

Get the one with two-piece jaws while you are about it. You can
then use soft jaws for special problem jobs.

It is not that cheap, and FWIW it is made in Poland, but I
consider it to be very good.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Bison chucks are very very good chucks.

Been using my bison 3 jaw chuck since 1972 (purchased new) and
it still runs within .001". With regular cleaning and lubrication they will
last forever. Replacement parts are another consideration.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 02:43:20 -0800, "azotic"
wrote:

.. .

On 2015-11-26, Rhollie
wrote:
[...]

I have 6 "adjust-tru" Bison and Buck chucks. Given that I have an
HLV-H...shrug

(2) 6 jaw 5" chucks..one set up for OD holding the other set up for ID
holding
(1) 2 jaw 5" chuck
(1) 3 jaw 8" chuck (Clausing 1501 lathe
(1) 4 jaw 6" chuck *not adjust tru)
(2) 3 Jaw 6" chucks *1 Hardinge back, one for the Clausing
and several standard Bison and Buck chucks..up to 12"..the largest of
course is a Buck 4 jaw Clausing back, along with standard sizes of
face plates, 4"-13"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 19:18:02 +0000, KR
wrote:

replying to Bob Engelhardt , wrote:
BobEngelhardt wrote:

"Cheap" is relative - just how much are you willing to spend?

Since I live in the Los Angeles area, at lease here the Chinese and
Taiwanese stuff is very cheap - as an example a 6" 3 jaw chuck of pretty
good quality is $100 with NO shipping cost. That added to a spindle
adapter to allow use on my L 00 equipped Clausing lathe is beginning to
seem like the least costly way to go. I now am waiting for some
dimensional information about the mounting bolt circle so as to make sure
the adapter (made in Canada) and the chuck (made in China) are compatible.

Being a newby to this forum I thank everyone who has replied for their
thoughts and suggestions.

Rhollie

That link I posted is to a seller in Costa Mesa. His phone number is
949-294-2171 and his name is Leigh. Give him a call and find out what
he has or will watch out for a chuck for you. Tell him Gunner
referred you. With luck, Ill be in his shop next week, Ive got some
Bridgeport heads to rebuild for him.

Also check with Greer Machinery, in Huntington Beach.
(714) 848-5477

They usually have a huge! number of chucks of all types and sizes

Im a traveling machine tool service tech out of Bakersfield area and
work all over in OC/LA/San Bern/Riverside counties

I know of one client that may..may have some chucks..they are getting
rid of their Clausing 13x36 lathes...some of them are tired as
hell...and of course they use L00 chucks and had a significant number
of extras. Check with Leigh and Greer first...Ill check with the
client. They are a production company..make their own products..and
wont talk to you without an intoduction.

http://deschner.com/

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/27/2015 2:18 PM, KR wrote:
... I now am waiting for some
dimensional information about the mounting bolt circle so as to make sure
the adapter (made in Canada) and the chuck (made in China) are compatible.

I don't know how likely it is that you will find a matching set. But if
you don't, it is not a big deal to machine a blank adapter to fit your
chuck. It takes more being careful than it does being skilled.

Bob