Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reamers for ER40?

Are there reamers to clean up an ER40 collet holder?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 15, 8:13 pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
Are there reamers to clean up an ER40 collet holder?

I may be a little picky here, but my collet holders are pretty damn
hard. And are tapered, thus typical reamers are not an option.

Not sure why you want to machine things, maybe a little more info.
DJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The CQ6128A lathe has an MT4 spindle bore and a 1.5x8 threaded nose. The
inner diameter of the bore is 26mm. I'd like to use ER40 collets with
this if possible, where I can pass stock into the bore. Yes, I have seen
the MT4 ER40 chucks on ebuy.

5C are 1.25 (or bigger) at the base. 3C collets go to 3/4, but they use
a drawbar. 5C collet chucks only add about an eighth inch over ER40, so
there's no extra cache to them...

Ace Eurotrade makes an ER32 collet chuck, but no ER40.

Mechanical Magic wrote:
On Dec 15, 8:13 pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
Are there reamers to clean up an ER40 collet holder?

I may be a little picky here, but my collet holders are pretty damn
hard. And are tapered, thus typical reamers are not an option.

Not sure why you want to machine things, maybe a little more info.
DJ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 15, 11:20 pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
The CQ6128A lathe has an MT4 spindle bore and a 1.5x8 threaded nose. The
inner diameter of the bore is 26mm. I'd like to use ER40 collets with
this if possible, where I can pass stock into the bore. Yes, I have seen
the MT4 ER40 chucks on ebuy....
5C are 1.25 (or bigger) at the base. 3C collets go to 3/4, but they use
a drawbar. 5C collet chucks only add about an eighth inch over ER40, so
there's no extra cache to them...
Are there reamers to clean up an ER40 collet holder?

Do you intend to ream the spindle bore for the collets?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 22:20:31 -0600, Louis Ohland
wrote:

The CQ6128A lathe has an MT4 spindle bore and a 1.5x8 threaded nose. The
inner diameter of the bore is 26mm. I'd like to use ER40 collets with
this if possible, where I can pass stock into the bore. Yes, I have seen
the MT4 ER40 chucks on ebuy.

5C are 1.25 (or bigger) at the base. 3C collets go to 3/4, but they use
a drawbar. 5C collet chucks only add about an eighth inch over ER40, so
there's no extra cache to them...

Ace Eurotrade makes an ER32 collet chuck, but no ER40.

What exactly are you intending to clean up?
The MT4 taper is nothing like that on an ER40 collet. The closing nut
thread is nowhere near your spindle nose thread either.

Why can't you just machine the ER collet holder with your lathe from a
suitable hunk of steel? No need for a reamer just use the compound
slide and a sharp tool.

I think another UK supplier do ER40 backplates, maybe Warco or
Rotagrip.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Dec 15, 11:20 pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
The CQ6128A lathe has an MT4 spindle bore and a 1.5x8 threaded nose. The
inner diameter of the bore is 26mm. I'd like to use ER40 collets with
this if possible, where I can pass stock into the bore. Yes, I have seen
the MT4 ER40 chucks on ebuy....
5C are 1.25 (or bigger) at the base. 3C collets go to 3/4, but they use
a drawbar. 5C collet chucks only add about an eighth inch over ER40, so
there's no extra cache to them...
Are there reamers to clean up an ER40 collet holder?

Do you intend to ream the spindle bore for the collets?

No, the bore is too big. Wondering about making a collet chuck to thread
onto the 1.5x8 spindle nose. Little Machine Shop (IIRC) has an ER32
chuck, but it's for the small lathes.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3046&category=-421559299

I have asked if it could be done with an ER40. No holy joy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Warco (www.warco.co.uk)
Chester Machine Tools (www.chesteruk.net)
Machine Mart (www.machinemart.co.uk)

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 16, 9:21 am, Louis Ohland wrote:

No, the bore is too big. Wondering about making a collet chuck to thread
onto the 1.5x8 spindle nose.

Thread a block of steel to fit onto the spindle. The rest is easy.

I'm looking at some 1-1/2 x 8 and 2-1/4 x 8 adapters I made to fit a
Jacobs spindle chuck to my lathe. The larger one was turned from a
thick-walled 'Cast Iron' pipe coupler which turned, bored and threaded
very cleanly.

The smaller one was a cut-off from a hydraulic cylinder rod. After I
turned off the chrome with carbide it machined nicely. I wouldn't try
to make a precision part like this out of ordinary hot or cold rolled
steel without first annealing it in the woodstove.

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
The CQ6128A lathe has an MT4 spindle bore and a 1.5x8 threaded nose. The
inner diameter of the bore is 26mm. I'd like to use ER40 collets with
this if possible, where I can pass stock into the bore. Yes, I have seen
the MT4 ER40 chucks on ebuy.

5C are 1.25 (or bigger) at the base. 3C collets go to 3/4, but they use
a drawbar. 5C collet chucks only add about an eighth inch over ER40, so
there's no extra cache to them...

Ace Eurotrade makes an ER32 collet chuck, but no ER40.

Not to split hairs, but ER series collets (and others of similar design)
are meant for tool holding, not really for work holding. Anyway, it
should be an easy machining job to bore the one taper you'd need, the
more complex features are in the nut, which I would just buy outright.

Get a er40 holder for an example of the taper and threads and go to it.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
Are there reamers to clean up an ER40 collet holder?

No. Set the compound on the lathe at the correct angle and use that.

Buy an appropriate nut, if starting from scratch. They are cheaper
than the time it will take you to work out how to make the eccentric on
the nut.

If you are dealing with hardened material, a reamer would be a poor
choice in any case, and would likely be ruined.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 17, 8:50 am, Trevor Jones wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:

No. Set the compound on the lathe at the correct angle and use that....

Trevor Jones

Put a collet on a mandrel and use a dial indicator to set the compound
parallel to it.You can check the fit of the taper with bluing, or see
if that mandrel wobbles or runs true when you tighten the collet nut.

Which collet size ER32 or ER40 ??? TMN Metalworking 10 January 17th 06 08:32 PM
Are there any adjustable reamers under 1/4" ? Bruno Metalworking 4 December 19th 05 12:39 AM
Over and under metric reamers Jack Lai Metalworking 5 July 11th 05 11:00 PM
reamers sw Metalworking 9 January 20th 04 02:09 AM
ball nose reamers Ryan Metalworking 6 October 18th 03 06:14 AM