Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default Reamers for ER40?

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Dec 15, 11:20 pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
The CQ6128A lathe has an MT4 spindle bore and a 1.5x8 threaded nose. The
inner diameter of the bore is 26mm. I'd like to use ER40 collets with
this if possible, where I can pass stock into the bore. Yes, I have seen
the MT4 ER40 chucks on ebuy....
5C are 1.25 (or bigger) at the base. 3C collets go to 3/4, but they use
a drawbar. 5C collet chucks only add about an eighth inch over ER40, so
there's no extra cache to them...
Are there reamers to clean up an ER40 collet holder?

Do you intend to ream the spindle bore for the collets?

No, the bore is too big. Wondering about making a collet chuck to thread
onto the 1.5x8 spindle nose. Little Machine Shop (IIRC) has an ER32
chuck, but it's for the small lathes.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3046&category=-421559299

I have asked if it could be done with an ER40. No holy joy.