Roy J

Default Aluminum heat treating

Anyone got a good pointer to some aluminum heat treating specs?
I'm looking for the sequence to do 6061-T6

The issue is a high strength -T6 roll bar and what the
consequences of a 450 degree powder coat oven are. Powder coat is
nice, stregth reduction is not.

Cheers.
tomcas

Roy J wrote:

Anyone got a good pointer to some aluminum heat treating specs? I'm
looking for the sequence to do 6061-T6

The issue is a high strength -T6 roll bar and what the consequences of a
450 degree powder coat oven are. Powder coat is nice, stregth reduction
is not.

Cheers.

As you probably already know this stuff is going to anneal real fast at
this temperature. The good thing is you can bake powder coat very fast
if you preheat your oven and your wall thickness is relatively thin. 1/2
hour exposure at 450 degrees F is going to cost you a 20% reduction in
tensile strength at room temperture. Mil handbook 5 has a curve but it's
a freakin huge PDF file so I hope you've got broadband.
http://assist.daps.dla.mil/eAccess/l...1/MILHBK5J.PD5
Check out pg 3-276 fig 3.6.2.2.1(d).
Roy J

I got the page with the good info. Thanks.

Looks like the powder coat heat floats right in the wrong range.
A bit lower and it is a minor issue, a bit more and you can
easily lose half the strength.

But you really should have said that the "freaking huge .pdf
file" is a "HUMONGOUS freaking huge .pdf file" 1733 pages with
lots of tables! Still trying to save it to disk. Only had to
reboot twice so far. Broadband I have, stability I'm not so sure
about.

Cheers.