tomcas

Default Aluminum heat treating

Roy J wrote:

Anyone got a good pointer to some aluminum heat treating specs? I'm
looking for the sequence to do 6061-T6

The issue is a high strength -T6 roll bar and what the consequences of a
450 degree powder coat oven are. Powder coat is nice, stregth reduction
is not.

Cheers.

As you probably already know this stuff is going to anneal real fast at
this temperature. The good thing is you can bake powder coat very fast
if you preheat your oven and your wall thickness is relatively thin. 1/2
hour exposure at 450 degrees F is going to cost you a 20% reduction in
tensile strength at room temperture. Mil handbook 5 has a curve but it's
a freakin huge PDF file so I hope you've got broadband.
http://assist.daps.dla.mil/eAccess/l...1/MILHBK5J.PD5
Check out pg 3-276 fig 3.6.2.2.1(d).