Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bernard Arnest

Default making custom ball bearings...?

Hi,
I was wondering if it's possible to make your own bearing channels?
I have two applications where mcmastercarr does not have what I need.
Are there end mills with semicircular tip profiles to mill channels for
balls of that diameter?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Sure there are. I made a 4" dia low speed ball bearing for a project a
few years ago. Used 1/8" balls, and had an inside diameter of 3.25" Be
aware that clamping the races in a chuck will distort them, causing
uneven drag when finished. I doubt you can make a good, high speed, high
load ball bearing on a lathe.
JR
Dweller ion the cellar

Bernard Arnest wrote:

Hi,
I was wondering if it's possible to make your own bearing channels?
I have two applications where mcmastercarr does not have what I need.
Are there end mills with semicircular tip profiles to mill channels for
balls of that diameter?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to JR North :
Sure there are. I made a 4" dia low speed ball bearing for a project a
few years ago. Used 1/8" balls, and had an inside diameter of 3.25" Be
aware that clamping the races in a chuck will distort them, causing
uneven drag when finished.

If you've got two-piece jaws, make some "Pie" jaws to fit on the
chuck, and turn them in place to the intended OD of the race. Then, you
have support the whole way around. (Better with a 6-jaw chuck to start
with, of course.)

I doubt you can make a good, high speed, high
load ball bearing on a lathe.

Agreed -- but you can do better if you use a toolpost grinder
with a wheel dressed to the right profile to make that ball race, and
grind after turning to just a bit short of the final size. (Actually,
you should also harden the steel between the turning operation and the
grinding operation.

Of course, using a toolpost grinder on a good lathe is always
fraught with worry about damage from the abrasive thrown by the grinding
operation.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:07:52 -0800, JR North
wrote:

Sure there are. I made a 4" dia low speed ball bearing for a project a
few years ago. Used 1/8" balls, and had an inside diameter of 3.25" Be
aware that clamping the races in a chuck will distort them, causing
uneven drag when finished. I doubt you can make a good, high speed, high
load ball bearing on a lathe.
JR
Dweller ion the cellar

It can be done with rather good sucess..but you use pot collets rather
than jaw type chucks

Gunner, who turned out 200 of them a couple weeks ago, in about 4
hours

Bernard Arnest wrote:

Hi,
I was wondering if it's possible to make your own bearing channels?
I have two applications where mcmastercarr does not have what I need.
Are there end mills with semicircular tip profiles to mill channels for
balls of that diameter?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bernard Arnest

Hi,

I'm not even talking of making a thin ring to fit around a shaft--
this is for my ball vise, so I just need to cut a channel, albeit one
perfect enough for bearings, into a 9" diameter cylinder of steel.
There is massive support behind it, such that distortion and special
jaws won't even be necessary. Although I am unsure even of how best to
cut the bearing-quality slot, distortion now aside?

thanks!
-Bernard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What's a pot collet? How's it different from a regular collet?