Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

Default making custom ball bearings...?

In article .com,
says...
Hi,
I was wondering if it's possible to make your own bearing channels?
I have two applications where mcmastercarr does not have what I need.
Are there end mills with semicircular tip profiles to mill channels for
balls of that diameter?

There's much more available for bearings than what's in the McMaster
catalog. The bearing catalogs in my bookshelf take up almost 3 feet of
shelf space. If you describe what you're trying to accomplish I'm sure
you'll get plenty of ideas.

If you just want the experience of making a bearing, sure, it's
possible. But for starters you need to specify what sort of loads,
speeds, and precision you're dealing with, and any restrictions on size
and geometry.

Ned Simmons