NokNokMan

Default O.T. Making clear lamps into amber lamps

I have to replace the foglamps on my Olds Aurora and I'd really like them to
be amber. The replacement bulbs are only available in clear or (horrors)
"lazer blue".
My question: Is there a method to dye the lamps amber? What would you use?
If it works for Easter Eggs.....
TIA
Dave

rigger

You used to be able to buy dye made especially for lamps. Try J.C.
Whitney. They also have a good selection of colored lamps: 1156, 1157,
194, 3057, 3157. One of those work?

dennis
in nca

Joe Gorman

NokNokMan wrote:
I have to replace the foglamps on my Olds Aurora and I'd really like them to
be amber. The replacement bulbs are only available in clear or (horrors)
"lazer blue".
My question: Is there a method to dye the lamps amber? What would you use?
If it works for Easter Eggs.....
TIA
Dave

Maybe a couple of coats of shellac? If it will take the heat of the
lamps, pick the shade you want and add 1 coat at a time until it's
right. Then a clear coat of spray finish for water resistance.
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/shellac3.htm
Joe
Ron Moore

There are glass dies available in virtually any color. You might try:
http://www.jurgeninc.com/dga.htm as a resource.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"NokNokMan" wrote in message
I have to replace the foglamps on my Olds Aurora and I'd really like them
to be amber. The replacement bulbs are only available in clear or
(horrors) "lazer blue".
My question: Is there a method to dye the lamps amber? What would you
use? If it works for Easter Eggs.....
TIA
Dave

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"NokNokMan" wrote in message
I have to replace the foglamps on my Olds Aurora and I'd really like them
to be amber. The replacement bulbs are only available in clear or
(horrors) "lazer blue".
My question: Is there a method to dye the lamps amber? What would you
use? If it works for Easter Eggs.....
TIA
Dave

There are "glass dyes" which might work, but probably not well on the lamp
itself. They're all pretty much acrylic lacquers, and the heat (especially
of a fog lamp) will blister the coating.

The right solution would be to dye the inside of the lens. Gotta be
careful, there. If they're glass or cast acrylic, most anything will work
without damaging them. If they're styrene/butadiene, any laquer-based (and
most enamels) will melt the plastic.

LLoyd

Grant Erwin

NokNokMan wrote:

I have to replace the foglamps on my Olds Aurora and I'd really like them to
be amber. The replacement bulbs are only available in clear or (horrors)
"lazer blue".
My question: Is there a method to dye the lamps amber? What would you use?
If it works for Easter Eggs.....

Many years ago when I drove a series of beaters for about 20 years, if I busted
out a taillight lens I'd just paint the bare bulb with red fingernail polish.
I'd have to redo it for awhile but I never owned those cars long .. maybe use a
yellow fingernail polish?

GWE

jim rozen

In article , NokNokMan says...

I have to replace the foglamps on my Olds Aurora and I'd really like them to
be amber. The replacement bulbs are only available in clear or (horrors)
"lazer blue".
My question: Is there a method to dye the lamps amber? What would you use?
If it works for Easter Eggs.....

If you only want to make the lenses of those yellow or amber, then you
need to purchase a Krylon product which is a paint used for simulating
stained glass.

I use it for generating blue Xmas lights from the clear ones, and also
for turning amber turn signals into red ones.

Available at many ACE hardware stores.

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article , jim rozen says...

If you only want to make the lenses of those yellow or amber, then you
need to purchase a Krylon product which is a paint used for simulating
stained glass.

In case that muddled reply wasn't clear, I would mention that it
is a type of transparent colored spray paint that adheres well to
glass and plastic. Works great.

Jim

please reply to:
Dave Hinz

On 11 Oct 2005 12:15:40 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , jim rozen says...

If you only want to make the lenses of those yellow or amber, then you
need to purchase a Krylon product which is a paint used for simulating
stained glass.

In case that muddled reply wasn't clear, I would mention that it
is a type of transparent colored spray paint that adheres well to
glass and plastic. Works great.

Why not just buy the 1157-A or whatever that has the coating on the bulb
already?

NokNokMan

This is the bulb:
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...CQ2X8UQKAR8BJ7
It's a halogen bulb, so it burns hot.
Haven't seen any in amber; only Xenon, which I detest driving towards, so I
wouldn't consider them.

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 11 Oct 2005 12:15:40 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , jim rozen says...

If you only want to make the lenses of those yellow or amber, then you
need to purchase a Krylon product which is a paint used for simulating
stained glass.

In case that muddled reply wasn't clear, I would mention that it
is a type of transparent colored spray paint that adheres well to
glass and plastic. Works great.

Why not just buy the 1157-A or whatever that has the coating on the bulb
already?

axolotl

NokNokMan wrote:
This is the bulb:

It's a halogen bulb, so it burns hot.

Putting anything on the bulb will destroy it. Try a Roscolux gel inside
the lens.

http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/roscolux.asp#Colors

Kevin Gallimore

aarcuda69062

In article ,
"NokNokMan" wrote:

I have to replace the foglamps on my Olds Aurora and I'd really like them to
be amber. The replacement bulbs are only available in clear or (horrors)
"lazer blue".
My question: Is there a method to dye the lamps amber? What would you use?
If it works for Easter Eggs.....
TIA
Dave

re-post to rec.autos.tech or rec.autos.makers.chrysler;
attention Daniel Stern

If there is a sensible solution, Daniel will know it.
RWL

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:29:19 -0400, "NokNokMan"
wrote:

I have to replace the foglamps on my Olds Aurora and I'd really like them to
be amber. The replacement bulbs are only available in clear or (horrors)
"lazer blue".
My question: Is there a method to dye the lamps amber? What would you use?

I've only done this for small bulbs for Lionel trains, but the lacquer
you use to paint "stained glass" covers glass light bulbs nicely.
I've only used red and green, but the stuff comes in a rainbow of
colors for people who use it as intended. If this winds up being your
only option, I'll find the name of the brand I have. When I Googled
for this last year, I recall that prices were about $4.00 for a little
bottle.

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******
Jim McGill

Go past a theater lighting supply and get an amber high temperature gel.
Tell them what you're using it for and they can come up with
something. Cut it to size and fit it into the lamp with a dab of high
silicone to hold it in place.