Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electric blanket not lasting long

I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In R2D4 writes:

I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

Pretty much same problem here. So just letting you
know you're not hallucinating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/2017 11:46 AM, danny burstein wrote:
In R2D4 writes:

I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

Pretty much same problem here. So just letting you
know you're not hallucinating.

In the interim, I've ordered a Softheat brand; supposed to be top rated
and also a higher pricetag, but we'll see (about double the price of the
Sunbeam for the twin size). Not exempt from its share of problems
either, although less than the Sunbeam. I kick myself for ditching my
original electric blankets-- they lasted 15 years with no issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair

R2D4 wrote in news
I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

Mine - every brand I've tried - last a bit longer - two, or if I'm very
lucky, three years. I guess they're designed now to fail - and keep the
Chinese factory production lines going.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/2017 12:36 PM, KenK wrote:
R2D4 wrote in news
I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

Mine - every brand I've tried - last a bit longer - two, or if I'm very
lucky, three years. I guess they're designed now to fail - and keep the
Chinese factory production lines going.

That's crazy. Not fair to the US consumer, is it? Well, the Softheat I
have coming has a 5 year warranty which, from what I have read, they
seem to honor for failures. To be honest though, I'm thinking of
ditching the whole idea of electric blankets and just going back to good
blankets. I mean, it they're all this unreliable now.....

Incidentally, I've had two Walmart bought $19 Sunbeam throws that have
gone on for several years now and I've even stepped on the controllers
and krinkled the throws up themselves many times. Wonder why they're
lasting and the blankets aren't?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2017 12:49 PM, R2D4 wrote:
[...]

It's called obsoletion, as in a manufacturers requirement for products
to become obsolete or to have a limited life span. If products were made
to last forever, how would the CEOs be able to afford their mansions,
vacation homes, jets and luxury cars?
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's called obsoletion, as in a manufacturers requirement for products
to become obsolete or to have a limited life span. If products were made
to last forever, how would the CEOs be able to afford their mansions,
vacation homes, jets and luxury cars?

Same problem here, the heating wires are not the same as the old days, they are two parallel wires with the heating material embedded between the two wires and the electricity is applied across the two wires, sort of a parallel system instead of series. I think the idea is that if the wire breaks it won't spark and start a fire?

But they do seem to degrade and it is the heating element wire itself that degrades, not the controller. I have been searching for the right kind of replacement wire but it must be hard to find. If you could find the wire, the repair would be easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

R2D4 wrote:

I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

I've noticed that electric blankets do not last as long as they used to. Don't
know if the heating element in the blanket is being made cheaper allowing it to
break, or they've done something with the controller in the name of hyper safety
liability that thinks it's overheating and shutting down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/17 11:24 AM, R2D4 wrote:
I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

Quit blowing farts, man. It'll last just fine....

--
The left has convinced half the country that there's a free lunch out
there and that the Republicans are stopping them from eating it
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/2017 10:24 AM, R2D4 wrote:
I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

I'm on my third blanket. I liked the first controller (better shape) and
still use it. It's the blankets that are failing.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The state (the U.S. Constitution) has not the right to leave every man
free to profess and embrace whatever religion he may desire." [Pope Pius
IX]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 19:21:43 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 02/22/2017 10:24 AM, R2D4 wrote:
I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

I'm on my third blanket. I liked the first controller (better shape) and
still use it. It's the blankets that are failing.

We just use ours to pre-warm the bed - must be 8 or 10 years old now
- actually likely older than that - and still working fine. It is a
sunbeam queen size We only replaced the old one because a double size
doesn't work too well on the queen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:24:33 -0500, R2D4 wrote:

I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

I've never had an electric blanket, but the electric mattress pad I
use is about 10 years old and still working. You might try that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/2017 09:00 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:24:33 -0500, R2D4 wrote:

I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

I've never had an electric blanket, but the electric mattress pad I
use is about 10 years old and still working. You might try that.

Thanks, I've been thinking about trying one out instead. What brand do
you use?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 22:31:51 -0500, R2D4 wrote:

[...]

Westpoint Stevens. Wife picked it up new for @50 bucks.
Double bed size. One controller. Don't know if they make it now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/17 12:49 PM, R2D4 wrote:
To be honest though, I'm thinking of ditching the whole idea
of electric blankets and just going back to good blankets.

Check out electric mattress pads.
The heat is coming "up" from under you -- less overall heat
needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

I've noticed that electric blankets do not last as long as they used to. Don't
know if the heating element in the blanket is being made cheaper allowing it to
break, or they've done something with the controller in the name of hyper safety
liability that thinks it's overheating and shutting down.

http://www.electricblanketinstitute....l-of-heat.html

Answered my own question. Doesn't explain why they break, but probably a thinner
heating element is more susceptible to damage.

We are constantly asked why today’s blankets are not as hot as older ones. The
answer is that since the late 1980’s, electric bedding in the USA has been
designed to be used all night long at a low wattage, i.e. a low level of heat.
This has prevented many of the fires that used to happen in this country and
still do occur in some other countries that continue to use higher wattage
products. Today’s heat level in this country is so low that unless a blanket
traps the generated heat, you will hardly feel the warmth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Albert wrote:

Check out electric mattress pads.
The heat is coming "up" from under you -- less overall heat
needed.

Indeed:

http://www.electricblanketinstitute....tress-pad.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2017 11:24 AM, R2D4 wrote:
I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

As others have said, try the heated mattress pad. I have used the
heated mattress pad for about 25 years, however, the do eventually
break. The one I have now has the name Cannon on it, however, they all
are the same and are made in China. I didn't like the controllers
because they were (wait for the buzz word ....) digital. This means I
can't connected them to an X10 unit to automatically pre-warm the bed.
So I called the company. It took many, many tries to get through to an
apparently, one person call center, that covered this model marked with
several manufacturer's names. She offered to send me a set of
controllers that have a real on/off switch and thus will work with X10.
My wife uses her's every night to pre-warm, but usually turns it off
before she falls asleep. If not, the X10 controller will turn it off at
a set time, in our case, midnight. On my side, I have an old twin bed
electric mattress pad, horizontally at the bottom of the be. The hotter
side is on my side. I only want warm feet. But there are those time
that I'll turn on the whole bed unit.

As for electric throws, I have a very old Sunbeam throw and it still
works well. Only problem is that it's too short. So usually I use a
twin bed electric blanket which works well. But I really think the
Sunbeam throw puts out a little more heat than the full twin blanket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/23/2017 10:44 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

My Sunbeam throw, just a couple of years old, works well too. Why it's
lasted so well, I don't know. It certainly gets crumpled and left on
and day after day keeps working. Sitting with it around me now as I
write. I've even nearly crushed the controller getting out of the chair
sometimes, but it still keeps going.

I have a Softheat blanket on the way. I ordered through Walmart website
and it's expected to arrive tomorrow. I ordered it before reading much
about the mattress pads-- they will be the next thing I try if this
blanket fails to meet expectations within the return period. I went
with Softheat because they have among the highest ratings and all
reviews say that they seem to stand behind their 5 year warranty,
replacing parts as they fail.

For you all using comforters, what's a good brand that's fairly
lightweight and would keep me warm? If I could find a good one of
those, I might just abandon the electric blanket idea altogether. I
used to have a few *real* down filled (not down alternative) throws that
were great to have for the chairs, but they all wore out. Your
comforter brands would be welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/2017 11:24 AM, R2D4 wrote:
I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

Just to update, I gave up on trying any more electric items for the bed
and I am now trying out several comforters. I think I found a winner
with not too prohibitive a cost and will report back in a day or two if
anyone is curious.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep same thing here. I'm I lovvvveeeee an electric blanket but I've had Biddeford and Sunbeam... Sunbeam definitely lasts months longer than the Biddeford but I still can't afford to replace every few months.

I just purchased a Biddeford and I shoulda spent the extra money and got the Sunbeam Becos Biddle just died after (LITERALLY) 31 days.... I looked at the receipt. I only used it maybe 20 of those times.

I'm saying turn up the heat... unfortunately

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1125138-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXACTLYYYYYYY!!! even the ones I bought back around 2001-2008 did MUCH better. I just bought a biddleford Feb of 2021...it died with a error code of E .... middle of March😔

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1125138-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes you are so right. Except for Buicks...lol I have a Buick LeSabre 2004.... and it runs as good as the first time I drove it. With no major repairs. ™¥ï¸

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1125138-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shoot if that the case my husband would have caught fire and took out the entire county 😲

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1125138-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

I had a 2001 Buick LeSebre that fell apart. Long list of things starting with transmission, seat, brake lines, AC, vent system, windows, and much more. Gave it away. Will never buy another GM car.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1125138-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

NatesMawMaw wrote

Yep same thing here. I'm I lovvvveeeee an electric blanket

Me too, wouldnt be without one in winter.

but I've had Biddeford and Sunbeam... Sunbeam definitely lasts months
longer than the Biddeford but I still can't afford to replace every few
months.

My Sunbeam has lasted more than a decade.

I just purchased a Biddeford and I shoulda spent the extra money and got
the Sunbeam Becos Biddle just died after (LITERALLY) 31 days....

Likely because you are morbidly obese.

I looked at the receipt. I only used it maybe 20 of those times.

I'm saying turn up the heat... unfortunately

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1125138-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 May 2021 05:50:15 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 May 2021 18:45:02 +0000, NatesMawMaw
wrote:

Yep same thing here. I'm I lovvvveeeee an electric blanket but I've had Biddeford and Sunbeam... Sunbeam definitely lasts months longer than the Biddeford but I still can't afford to replace every few months.

I just purchased a Biddeford and I shoulda spent the extra money and got the Sunbeam Becos Biddle just died after (LITERALLY) 31 days.... I looked at the receipt. I only used it maybe 20 of those times.

I'm saying turn up the heat... unfortunately

I've had a Sunbeam for well over 10 years and it still works fine.
Possibly the new ones are less well made.