What's the difference between Hardy board & cement backer board?

Old April 15th 04, 04:14 PM
x071907

Default What's the difference between Hardy board & cement backer board?

What's the difference between Hardy board & cement backer board? I'm
about to start my bathroom remodeling project and I'm not sure which
of these products to use & where I should use them. I plan on
removing/replacing the bathroom floor and the walls in the shower. Is
it a matter of preference, or are they unique to a specific
application? Also, I'm not sure how difficult of a job it is going to
be to remove the floor (tile & cement board). Any insight into the
demolition and installation of the floor would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 15th 04, 05:45 PM
SQLit

"x071907" wrote in message
om...
What's the difference between Hardy board & cement backer board? I'm
about to start my bathroom remodeling project and I'm not sure which
of these products to use & where I should use them. I plan on
removing/replacing the bathroom floor and the walls in the shower. Is
it a matter of preference, or are they unique to a specific
application? Also, I'm not sure how difficult of a job it is going to
be to remove the floor (tile & cement board). Any insight into the
demolition and installation of the floor would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know they can be exchanged freely.
If you have a cement floor their really not necessary.
Used a lot on tile counter tops.
I would use blue board, water resistant drywall on all the walls and ceiling
that are not in direct contact with water. Blue board can take the humidity.

Old April 15th 04, 07:13 PM
Greg

"x071907" wrote in message
om...
What's the difference between Hardy board & cement backer board? I'm
about to start my bathroom remodeling project and I'm not sure which
of these products to use & where I should use them. I plan on
removing/replacing the bathroom floor and the walls in the shower. Is
it a matter of preference, or are they unique to a specific
application? Also, I'm not sure how difficult of a job it is going to
be to remove the floor (tile & cement board). Any insight into the
demolition and installation of the floor would be greatly appreciated.

Use either/or. One's a generic name, the other's a copyrighted name.

For the floor demo, what I usually do in a case like this is get a cheap 4.5
inch angle grinder, buy some masonry blades, and checkerboard the tile and
cement board in a conveniant size. Then tear it up. Those small pieces will
be much easier to move than huge chunks. It'll be alot heavier than you
planned for....

Do a good cleanup and prep and you're ready to go.

Greg

Old April 16th 04, 11:04 PM
twiedeman

As far as I know, they both perform about the same.The cement board is
exactly that- fiberglass mesh with cement sandwitched in the middle. The
hardy board is a fiber and cement product with other waterproofing
additives.

I switched to the hardy bd, it is lighter(easier on the back), less
likely to crack and crumble apart. I cut it with a circular saw w/ an old
dull carbide blade,which goes pretty quick and makes less dust than cement
bd.The hardy bd installs with screws or nails more readily than cement brd.
Its a pretty good product, I don't float any walls anymore, or countertops
either. The only fresh cement I use now is for shower floors in order to
create pitch toward the drain.
Todd .