James Nipper

Default Good low-cost small sander?

Anyone have a recommendation on a fairly low-cost small sander for small
items around the house? Are belt sanders still in use today, or are
there better alternatives ?

I am talking about items like sanding off a rough edge of something (wood)
or shortening a scraping door, and stuff like that around the house.

Would Craftsman be a good brand to look at for this ?

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

Edwin Pawlowski

James Nipper wrote:
Anyone have a recommendation on a fairly low-cost small sander for
small items around the house? Are belt sanders still in use
today, or are there better alternatives ?

I am talking about items like sanding off a rough edge of something
(wood) or shortening a scraping door, and stuff like that around the
house.

Would Craftsman be a good brand to look at for this ?

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

The best sanders for finishing a door or cabinet is the random orbital
sander (ROS) and they cost about $50 to $70. Less costly is the 1/4 sheet
sanders. OK for small projects.

Belt sanders are a tough tool to handle if you don't have some experience.
They can take a lot of materail of FAST and leave you with a big gouge. I
have one nad use it to do thing like sharpen the blade on the lawnmower.
Only ysed it on wood once when I had a lot of shapint to do.

Craftsman hs gone down in quality in the past tenyears or so. If you can
get a product on sale and use it very littel, it is OK. If you want it to
last for years and be higher quality to be u sed on a regular basis, DeWalt,
Porder Cable are better brands. --
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Phisherman

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:39:35 -0500, "James Nipper"
wrote:

Anyone have a recommendation on a fairly low-cost small sander for small
items around the house? Are belt sanders still in use today, or are
there better alternatives ?

I am talking about items like sanding off a rough edge of something (wood)
or shortening a scraping door, and stuff like that around the house.

Would Craftsman be a good brand to look at for this ?

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

Belt sanders are still used today and these are very aggressive in
removing wood and usually require two hands for proper control. To
shave off a scraping door, I'd use a plane or circular saw with a
straight edge. Craftsman is usually not a good choice for power
tools. Other types of common sanders include random-orbit and
finishing sanders.
AJScott

In article ,
"James Nipper" wrote:

Anyone have a recommendation on a fairly low-cost small sander for small
items around the house? Are belt sanders still in use today, or are
there better alternatives ?

I am talking about items like sanding off a rough edge of something (wood)
or shortening a scraping door, and stuff like that around the house.

Would Craftsman be a good brand to look at for this ?

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

Belt sanders are indeed still around, but overkill for small household
stuff you're envisioning. You'd be wanting a hand sander. There's a
bunch of them out there and for cheap, too. Just drive over to the power
tool section of your nearest Menard's, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. and
check them out.

AJS
Paul

Sounds like you're talking about 2 different applications. A small
orbital sander would do the job for medium to fine sanding, but you
wouldn't use it for shortening a scraping door. Use a belt sander for
removing large amounts of wood, and an orbital for finish work. I have
a nice small orbiter from Miluakee and it works great and it's
reasonably priced.

"James Nipper" wrote in message ...
Anyone have a recommendation on a fairly low-cost small sander for small
items around the house? Are belt sanders still in use today, or are
there better alternatives ?

I am talking about items like sanding off a rough edge of something (wood)
or shortening a scraping door, and stuff like that around the house.

Would Craftsman be a good brand to look at for this ?

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

Joe Bobst

shortening a scraping door,

Recommend a Bosch power planer for that. Leaves a nice clean bottom edge
without splinters and hassles from circular saws and the like.

Would Craftsman be a good brand to look at for this ?

Great hand tools, but a mixed bag in electrics. Check Consumer Reports for some
ideas on what power tools are the better quality. Harbor Freight, for example,
sells throw away quality that will help you get started and not feel too much
pain when your skill and project size dictates an upgrade to the good stuff.
HTH

Joe

Ken Carlson

"James Nipper" wrote in message ...
Anyone have a recommendation on a fairly low-cost small sander for small
items around the house? Are belt sanders still in use today, or are
there better alternatives ?

I am talking about items like sanding off a rough edge of something (wood)
or shortening a scraping door, and stuff like that around the house.

Would Craftsman be a good brand to look at for this ?

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

IMO, avoid the comparatively cheap power tools from Craftsman, Black &
Decker, Ryobi.

Some good brands are Milwaukee, Porter-Cable, Makita, DeWalt (although
they are owned by B&D, so watch out).

I have a belt sander and a 1/4 sheet palm sander, and each one has
it's use. For little things, you are better off with a small palm
sander. For removing lots of material quickly, the belt sander is
good for that. And not for just wood. I use the belt sander to
flatten the botom of my skis, and I used it recently to flatten the
bottom of a brass candle holder that wobbled and annoyed my wife.

Ken
Horatio Hornblower

:
: I am talking about items like sanding off a rough edge of something (wood)
: or shortening a scraping door, and stuff like that around the house.
:
: Would Craftsman be a good brand to look at for this ?
:
: Thanks for any tips.
:
: --James--
:
:
:IMO, avoid the comparatively cheap power tools from Craftsman, Black &
ecker, Ryobi.
:
:Some good brands are Milwaukee, Porter-Cable, Makita, DeWalt (although
:they are owned by B&D, so watch out).
:
:I have a belt sander and a 1/4 sheet palm sander, and each one has
:it's use. For little things, you are better off with a small palm
:sander. For removing lots of material quickly, the belt sander is
:good for that. And not for just wood. I use the belt sander to
:flatten the botom of my skis, and I used it recently to flatten the
:bottom of a brass candle holder that wobbled and annoyed my wife.
:
:Ken

I've had a Makita 1/4 sheet finishing sander for around 25 years. Very
good for light finishing. Couple years ago got the Porter Cable 21" (the
smaller) belt sander, went down to HD and got an assortment of belts and
it's come in extremely handy a few times. When you have to tool and you
realize what power it gives you it gives you a good feeling that you
made a good buying decision. Personally, I stay away from the cheaper
electric tools UNLESS I get a gold plated recommendation from a source I
totally trust. For instance, I did buy a B&D electric screwdriver (with
clutch) because I read a post by a guy who said he had a couple of
different top quality expensive electric screwdrivers but reached but
the B&D 90% of the time. That tells you a lot.
Jeff Cochran

Anyone have a recommendation on a fairly low-cost small sander for small
items around the house? Are belt sanders still in use today, or are
there better alternatives ?

I am talking about items like sanding off a rough edge of something (wood)
or shortening a scraping door, and stuff like that around the house.

Would Craftsman be a good brand to look at for this ?

Look for a decent brand 1/4 sheet palm sander, about $40 or less on
special.

Jeff