Edwin Pawlowski

Default Good low-cost small sander?

James Nipper wrote:
Anyone have a recommendation on a fairly low-cost small sander for
small items around the house? Are belt sanders still in use
today, or are there better alternatives ?

I am talking about items like sanding off a rough edge of something
(wood) or shortening a scraping door, and stuff like that around the
house.

Would Craftsman be a good brand to look at for this ?

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

The best sanders for finishing a door or cabinet is the random orbital
sander (ROS) and they cost about $50 to $70. Less costly is the 1/4 sheet
sanders. OK for small projects.

Belt sanders are a tough tool to handle if you don't have some experience.
They can take a lot of materail of FAST and leave you with a big gouge. I
have one nad use it to do thing like sharpen the blade on the lawnmower.
Only ysed it on wood once when I had a lot of shapint to do.

Craftsman hs gone down in quality in the past tenyears or so. If you can
get a product on sale and use it very littel, it is OK. If you want it to
last for years and be higher quality to be u sed on a regular basis, DeWalt,
Porder Cable are better brands. --
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome