GE Oven won't light

Old November 5th 03, 03:59 AM
Matt Mason

Default GE Oven won't light

I have a GE non-self cleaning gas range, Series XL44, about 5 years old.
The oven will not light. The ignitor would get red hot, then go out,
and then stay on long enough to only get luke warm. I replaced the
ignitor (which was a bit of a pain since the new one came with a
slightly different connector... even though it was the correct model).
The ignitor got red hot, but the gas did not flow. Leaving the range
on, the ignitor did not get red hot again.

So could the problem be with the gas valve? or something else.

thanks in advance for any advice/wisdom that you may offer.

sincerely,

Matt the frustrated landlord

Old November 5th 03, 08:42 AM
CLSSM00X7

Hi,

It could be the thermocouple/flame sensor which senses heat from the ignitor
before it
allows the gas valve to open. You can try moving it closer to the ignitor and
see if that does the trick. You can also try tapping the gas valve but to be
honest I think it is the placement of the ignitor to the flame sensor.

candice

Old November 5th 03, 11:47 AM
jeff

Matt Mason wrote in message news:

Hi,

I have a GE non-self cleaning gas range, Series XL44, about 5 years old.

XL44 is just a name and not a model#....
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

The oven will not light. The ignitor would get red hot, then go out,
and then stay on long enough to only get luke warm. I replaced the
ignitor (which was a bit of a pain since the new one came with a
slightly different connector... even though it was the correct model).
The ignitor got red hot, but the gas did not flow. Leaving the range
on, the ignitor did not get red hot again.

So could the problem be with the gas valve? or something else.

The glow coil hot surface ignitor should stay on through out the
heating process and only go out when the oven control says the temp is
ok to shut off the burner....if the glow coil is going off before the
burner can light, bad/loose wire?, bad oven control?. The gas valve is
in series with the glow coil ignitor, *usually* if the gas valve fails
electricaly the ignitor will not come on at all.

The ignitor got red hot

It should almost get white hot.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Old November 5th 03, 01:44 PM
Matt Mason

jeff wrote:

XL44 is just a name and not a model#....
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

I got the full model #, I just didn't bother posting it here.

The glow coil hot surface ignitor should stay on through out the
heating process and only go out when the oven control says the temp is
ok to shut off the burner....if the glow coil is going off before the
burner can light, bad/loose wire?, bad oven control?. The gas valve is
in series with the glow coil ignitor, *usually* if the gas valve fails
electricaly the ignitor will not come on at all.

I checked the wires, they are good. But it looks like the gas valve may
be the problem. When I turn the oven on, I here the tell-tale 'click'
that the relay from the temperature control has engaged.

http://www.applianceaid.com/

Old November 5th 03, 09:49 PM
Dan O.

Matt Mason wrote in message ...

I have a GE non-self cleaning gas range,
Series XL44, about 5 years old. The oven
will not light. The ignitor would get red hot,
then go out, and then stay on long enough
to only get luke warm. I replaced the ignitor.
The ignitor got red hot, but the gas did not flow.
Leaving the range on, the ignitor did not get
red hot again.

So could the problem be with the gas valve?
or something else.

There isn't usually too much in the circuit with an oven ignitor
system, the ignitor, the gas valve and the oven thermostat or
electronic control. A 'weak' ignitor is the most common cause of both
the oven burner not lighting and for no gas flow to the burner.

If the thermosat/control is the cause of the power to the ignitor
going off, it would likely have to be replaced. If it isn't what's
responsible, the gas valve itself may be suspect.

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+GE+stove

=~~~~~~

Changing a light bulb on R.C.M Tom Gardner Metalworking 24 June 6th 04 12:58 AM
Changing A Lightbulb, A lesson in Posting? Boris Beizer Metalworking 5 March 27th 04 12:20 AM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM
Changing a light bulb jay UK diy 11 October 18th 03 08:28 PM
Micrwave oven - M8A fuse? Mike Tomlinson Electronics Repair 7 August 29th 03 07:00 PM