Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven

Default Ceiling Sprinkler System Cover Plates repair/replace

Hi,

Recently I was painting the ceiling of my new house and ran into a
mystery white circle on the ceiling of my room. I pulled the thing off
to be able to paint the ceiling easier and discovered it was a
sprinkler system cover (surprise surprise).

Now I am in the unfortunate position (having done some research) that
the cover was apparently attached through some sort of solder/glue, and
I cannot figure out how to reattach it.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do in this situation? Can I reattach
it somehow? Do I need to have someone come out to replace more than
just the cover?

I wish the thing had been labelled in the first place

Thanks
Steven

Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Steven wrote:
Can anyone tell me what I need to do in this situation? Can I reattach
it somehow? Do I need to have someone come out to replace more than
just the cover?

Usually the cover plate assembly screws on. If you broke the bond
between the cover and the assembly that screws into the sprinkler head
then try removing the assembly by turning it counterclockwise. Don't be
a dolt and cause the sprinkler to go off.

http://www.sprinklerreplacement.com/...Residental.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
Usually the cover plate assembly screws on. If you broke the bond
between the cover and the assembly that screws into the sprinkler head
then try removing the assembly by turning it counterclockwise. Don't
be a dolt and cause the sprinkler to go off.

http://www.sprinklerreplacement.com/...Residental.pdf

Also this:

http://www.tyco-fire.com/TD_TFP/TFP/TFP442_07_2005.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven,

Easy fix - don't lose a moments sleep over this one. You have to take
out the threaded sleeve that the cover plate was attached to as Travis
says. Buy a new cover plate (preferably from the same manufacturer as
the original because they do have different thread pitches) and screw
it in.

Don't try to re-solder the cover plate because it is a special low
melting point alloy that is designed to fall off when heated.
Incinently you did the right thing removing the plate before painting
the ceiling. They don't work properly if you paint them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Steven, Bill wrote:
Steven. I just had a painter tape the covers while painting and when he
pulled the tape off, the sprinkler head cover that was soldered on came off
and the sprinkler head popped out! How did you repair yours?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ace-79096-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 6:44:05 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
replying to Steven, Bill wrote:
Steven. I just had a painter tape the covers while painting and when he
pulled the tape off, the sprinkler head cover that was soldered on came off
and the sprinkler head popped out! How did you repair yours?
--

Unfortunately, 10 years ago, Steven's house burned down. Steven was inside and never made it out. He is survived by a wife, 12 children, 300 gerbils, a bug collection and a stuffed cat. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Burning Monster