Stephen Gower

Default Ceiling blanking plates

Replacing the lighting ciruit, where the rubber insulation has
gone, I want to remove completely the pull-cord in the bedroom
which with our furniture layout dangles over the wardrobe. The
trouble is, this switch was acting as the junction box for sending
the lighting circuit into the next room, so I will need a
terminal-block in there, and can't just plaster it over. So what
I'm looking for is a round blanking-plate the same size as a
ceiling rose, but so far I'm failing. Any suggestions?

--
Selah
Martin Angove

In message ,
Stephen Gower wrote:

Replacing the lighting ciruit, where the rubber insulation has
gone, I want to remove completely the pull-cord in the bedroom
which with our furniture layout dangles over the wardrobe. The
trouble is, this switch was acting as the junction box for sending
the lighting circuit into the next room, so I will need a
terminal-block in there, and can't just plaster it over. So what
I'm looking for is a round blanking-plate the same size as a
ceiling rose, but so far I'm failing. Any suggestions?

Ummm... buy a junction box (I'd suggest a 20A 4-terminal rather than a
5A as you get more wiring space) and push it back into the attic when
you've finished. Make good hole in ceiling. Does this help?

On the subject of rubber insulation going / perishing I would seriously
consider replacing *all* the rubber cable in your house if a lot of it
has started to go. If it's a rubber install it's going to be some 40
years old probably and you should ideally also get the earthing, bonding
and general soundness of the installation checked. For example, does the
lighting circuit carry an earth? Many older ones didn't.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
BigWallop

"Stephen Gower" wrote in message
Replacing the lighting ciruit, where the rubber insulation has
gone, I want to remove completely the pull-cord in the bedroom
which with our furniture layout dangles over the wardrobe. The
trouble is, this switch was acting as the junction box for sending
the lighting circuit into the next room, so I will need a
terminal-block in there, and can't just plaster it over. So what
I'm looking for is a round blanking-plate the same size as a
ceiling rose, but so far I'm failing. Any suggestions?

--
Selah

Have a look he

http://www.wtlynn.co.uk/cat_gen/catgen4_01.htm

Under " Boxes (Plastic) " you see a recessed circular box that can be pushed
into the ceiling and covered with a piece thin plywood and painted if you
wish.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Christian McArdle

So what I'm looking for is a round blanking-plate the same
size as a ceiling rose, but so far I'm failing. Any suggestions?

Use insulated crimped connections. These can be permanently concealed (i.e.
behind plaster) with no requirement for future access.

Christian.

Stephen Gower

Martin Angove wrote:

Ummm... buy a junction box (I'd suggest a 20A 4-terminal rather than a
5A as you get more wiring space) and push it back into the attic when
you've finished. Make good hole in ceiling. Does this help?

Sorry, forgot to mention that this is a flat, so I have no access
from above, and it's concrete, so I don't want to make good by
plastering, in case I need access to the duct again in the future.

I was in a seminar room earlier, which had round blanking plates on
the wall. Very annoying.

On the subject of rubber insulation going / perishing I would seriously
consider replacing *all* the rubber cable in your house if a lot of it
has started to go.

Yep, doing that already. I was planning on leaving the lights
until I had done the mains socket ring, but then my mum visited,
dusted a lampshade, and bang went the fuse. Mrs Socks is getting a
bit fed up with us only having table-lamps.
--
Selah

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Stephen Gower wrote:
Replacing the lighting ciruit, where the rubber insulation has
gone, I want to remove completely the pull-cord in the bedroom
which with our furniture layout dangles over the wardrobe. The
trouble is, this switch was acting as the junction box for sending
the lighting circuit into the next room, so I will need a
terminal-block in there, and can't just plaster it over. So what
I'm looking for is a round blanking-plate the same size as a
ceiling rose, but so far I'm failing. Any suggestions?

I think a standard round conduit box (BESA) cover will fit. Or an
equivalent plastic type which you might well find in the sheds - as part
of circular PVC conduit.

--
*I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Owain

"Stephen Gower" wrote
| Replacing the lighting ciruit, where the rubber insulation has
| gone, I want to remove completely the pull-cord in the bedroom
| which with our furniture layout dangles over the wardrobe.

Replace it with a new pull-cord switch, but shorten the pull-cord or simply
omit it if the switch is one that has a stub of cord and a coupler.

Then when you or a future occupant has a different furniture layout, simply
lengthen or add a cord and hey presto! a Useful Amenity.

Owain

Stephen Gower

Dave Plowman wrote:
Stephen Gower wrote:

So what I'm looking for is a round blanking-plate the same size as
a ceiling rose, but so far I'm failing. Any suggestions?

I think a standard round conduit box (BESA) cover will fit. Or an
equivalent plastic type which you might well find in the sheds - as part
of circular PVC conduit.

Ooh, yes. Thanks for this suggestion!
--
Selah

Noisy ceiling fan Jon Taylor UK diy 2 July 10th 03 01:53 PM
Bathroom Ceiling Finish rakster UK diy 1 July 10th 03 12:04 PM
Ceiling rose wiring old house Driving me mad arr Toby UK diy 1 July 9th 03 03:20 PM
Fixing to plasterboard ceiling BigWallop UK diy 1 July 4th 03 09:21 AM
those metal plates that cover windows and doors in abandoned houses Muddy Paws UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 02:58 PM