Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing old gutter sealant.

A heat gun should soften the old stuff but I wonder what I could use to
remove it?

I have a number of leaks at joints that I have tried to fix but there is
so much old sealant already there that applying more just doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:

I have a number of leaks at joints that I have tried to fix but
there is so much old sealant already there that applying more
just doesn't work.

A wire brush drill attachment:

http://images50.fotki.com/v1559/phot...eDIY046-vi.jpg

Or maybe a smaller one for a Dremel tool (if you have one).

Other than a sharp putty knife, you might want to try gasoline or laquer
thinner.

I have my doubts about the heat-gun. You might also look at a plumbers
torch.

I really don't know how these silicone or latex sealants react to
extreme heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message
John wrote:

I have a number of leaks at joints that I have tried to fix but
there is so much old sealant already there that applying more
just doesn't work.

A wire brush drill attachment:

http://images50.fotki.com/v1559/phot...eDIY046-vi.jpg

Or maybe a smaller one for a Dremel tool (if you have one).

Other than a sharp putty knife, you might want to try gasoline or laquer
thinner.

I have my doubts about the heat-gun. You might also look at a plumbers
torch.

I really don't know how these silicone or latex sealants react to
extreme heat.

Great advice, try gasoline or lacquer thinner, then use a plumbers torch.
LMAO! Idiot!

Posted to alt.home.repair

KB wrote:

Other than a sharp putty knife, you might want to try gasoline
or laquer thinner. I have my doubts about the heat-gun. You
might also look at a plumbers torch.

Great advice, try gasoline or lacquer thinner, then use a plumbers
torch. LMAO! Idiot!

Where did I say to use extreme heat IN CONJUNCTION WITH using a volatile
liquid?

Nice try you lame **** head. The egg is on your face, not mine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message
KB wrote:

Other than a sharp putty knife, you might want to try gasoline
or laquer thinner. I have my doubts about the heat-gun. You
might also look at a plumbers torch.

Great advice, try gasoline or lacquer thinner, then use a plumbers
torch. LMAO! Idiot!

Where did I say to use extreme heat IN CONJUNCTION WITH using a volatile
liquid?

Nice try you lame **** head. The egg is on your face, not mine.

I don't blame you for wanting to blame someone else for what you wrote.
From looking at your replies in this forum, you're pretty much clueless
about everything.

You're a moron, & I'm starting to feel sorry for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 26, 10:28*am, John wrote:
A heat gun should soften the old stuff but I wonder what I could use to
remove it?

I have a number of leaks at joints that I have tried to fix but there is
so much old sealant already there that applying more just doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

John

If you enjoy wasting your time with poor results, just keep trying to
repair your old gutters. People with a need for effective solutions
would immediately replace the old gutters with new...faster, and much
longer lasting. Talk to a pro that does seamless gutters. The field is
very competitive most places and prices are correspondingly
reasonable. End result will look better on your house, too.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in news:ca76661b-42b4-421e-8f89-50e446337210
@y42g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

On Nov 26, 10:28*am, John wrote:
A heat gun should soften the old stuff but I wonder what I could use to
remove it?

I have a number of leaks at joints that I have tried to fix but there is
so much old sealant already there that applying more just doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

John

If you enjoy wasting your time with poor results, just keep trying to
repair your old gutters. People with a need for effective solutions
would immediately replace the old gutters with new...faster, and much
longer lasting. Talk to a pro that does seamless gutters. The field is
very competitive most places and prices are correspondingly
reasonable. End result will look better on your house, too.

Joe

Can't say I disgree but you are at DEFCON 4 with duct tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't you love it when idiots troll you....

Did you find an effective solution?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, 26 November 2011 16:28:19 UTC, John wrote:
A heat gun should soften the old stuff but I wonder what I could use to
remove it?

I have a number of leaks at joints that I have tried to fix but there is
so much old sealant already there that applying more just doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

John

My boyfriend used gutter sealant on my toilet pipe when I had a leak in the middle of the night...and it looks awful .. I need it fixing properly and need to get the ugly gutter sealant off it...what's the best way do you think? any ideas?

Removing roof & gutter sealant from bricks F[_2_] UK diy 1 October 1st 11 04:49 PM
Roof and Gutter sealant ARWadsworth UK diy 7 July 12th 07 09:35 AM
gutter sealant Kent Mere UK diy 5 April 27th 07 09:47 AM
Gutter or silicon sealant? Matthew UK diy 3 March 10th 06 10:03 PM
Gutter sealant? Eiron UK diy 2 October 2nd 05 06:46 PM