Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Took apart pool pump motor - what is the armiture actually made upof (no wires, no magnets)?

I thought I knew how a brushless AC motor worked in that you spin a
magnetic armature inside a surrounding coiled-wire stator.

But I just took apart my 1.65 HP pool pump AO Smith QC1102 220V motor and
all I see are the two bearings holding up the armature in the center.
There are no brushes and the armature is a very heavy cylindrical chuck
of 'something'.

But, that something is not a magnet.
Nor does it appear to be a coil of wire (even if it were, there are no
brushes to get electricity to the 'field' if that is what it is).

So how does the darn thing work?

Googling for that motor I only see the same exploded diagrams that I see
physically when I take it apart.

What is the armature made up of?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 5:27*pm, mmendozabn wrote:
I thought I knew how a brushless AC motor worked in that you spin a
magnetic armature inside a surrounding coiled-wire stator.

But I just took apart my 1.65 HP pool pump AO Smith QC1102 220V motor and
all I see are the two bearings holding up the armature in the center.
There are no brushes and the armature is a very heavy cylindrical chuck
of 'something'.

But, that something is not a magnet.
Nor does it appear to be a coil of wire (even if it were, there are no
brushes to get electricity to the 'field' if that is what it is).

So how does the darn thing work?

Googling for that motor I only see the same exploded diagrams that I see
physically when I take it apart.

What is the armature made up of?

What you apparently have is an induction motor. There
are no brushes. The armature is a mteal core with
conductors embedded in it. The conductors are heavy
and may not look like wound wire, if that is what you're
expecting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank Nikola Tesla. For polyphase induction motors, they can start
themselves. For single phase motors, there is a starting winding that
"fakes" rotating field until the rotor is up to speed, then cuts out.

They are pretty non-obvious in their operation.

/paul W3FIS